The sleeper thread

shipps

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ichiro is untouchable until he decides he wants out, and last i checked he likes it there, it has the whole 'home away from home' thing goin on for him

Edit: wow he'll be 37 in october

Edited by Real

OK Shipps, let's be more honest here. Hypothetically, I'm playing Z. Here's my offer for Ichiro:

Beckham, Hudson, Viciedo, Santos, and you take on either Jack Wilson or Chone Figgins (you get to pick).

You give me that, I ask Ichiro to waive his NTC.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 12:40 PM)
OK Shipps, let's be more honest here. Hypothetically, I'm playing Z. Here's my offer for Ichiro:

Beckham, Hudson, Viciedo, Santos, and you take on either Jack Wilson or Chone Figgins (you get to pick).

No way.

1. Taking on the Figgins contract would have to make you give less prospects IMO. They would probably love to dump Figgins and that would be doing them a favor.

2. Two of those guys out of that group along with 2 other lower level prospects should be enough. Especially if you are including Beckham.

3. This is not a young Ichiro. I think people get confused about his actual value because he still looks like he did 5 years ago when you WOULD have had to put that kind of group of prospects to get him. But you dont have to do that now. This mans skills will decline, albeit still very,very valuable to our lineup.

4. Maybe I am completely underrating his market value.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 12:40 PM)

I would so do that deal.

1. Ichiro gets you revenue from Japan and lots of it. Really puts us on the map internationally.

2. Ichiro seems like the kind of guy who is conditioned so well that he can probably play at this level until he's 40.

3. As bad as Figgins has been this year, if you can get Ichiro and him for the next 3 seasons, why the hell not?

4. An outfield of Ichiro, Rios, and Pierre is like defensive heaven.

5. Figgins can fill in for Gordon, not much of a performance difference there anyhow. You gotta hope that Figgins rebounds next year though.

Edited by chw42

Exactly my point. That's the kind of deal we're talking about for Ichiro.

Since he's not a salary dump (even if I'm wrong and he only covers a part of his salary with increased revenue...he's still covering a good part of it, so dumping his salary doesn't save me that much money).

If I'm Z, I don't even consider it unless i get a combination of Smoak level players and other MLB ready guys on top of it, and it'd be really helpful if I could shed a bit of salary at the same time.

If KW held out and I had no other offers even close to that, I might be nice and let you swap out Flowers for Hudson if the guy you were taking back was Figgins, but you're overwhelming me if you want him and that's that.

Thats the kind of deal that we would assume that the Mariners would ask for. Something that would be a rip off,basically. But who knows what they would ask for. As far as I am concerned that organization is in complete turmoil and might do something drastic that you wouldnt quite anticipate.

I thought I titled this the Dreamers thread...lol

QUOTE (Frankensteiner @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 05:03 PM)
Jake Westbrook kinda sucks, but he might outperform Freddy and Hudson for the rest of the season. So it's something to consider.

I'm going with Westbrook as well. The sox play Det. and the twins 23 more times this year. That could mean 4-5 starts vs. them. Westbrook might be a better option this year than Hudson. Of course, I'd hold onto Hudson. Just the sox prob. need another vet for the rest of 2010.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 01:42 PM)
Gerardo Parra, Gerardo Parra, Gerardo Parra.

is bad, is bad, is bad. .266/.315/.392/.707 line on the year, and he doesn't face lefties. He's a 4th outfielder who has been forced to play too much on a bad Diamondbacks team.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 02:10 PM)
Speaking of the Indians, I know it will never happen, but thoughts of Shin Soo Choo in RF for us gets me all warm and fuzzy inside.

Well he may be sent back to fight in the Army in a year , right?

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 03:18 PM)
Who would send him back?

The Korean army. He's required to complete a year or so of military service by the time he's age 30, and he's just about that age, and they haven't figured out a way out of it yet.

QUOTE (IceCreamPants @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 02:12 PM)
Well he may be sent back to fight in the Army in a year , right?

He can either never return, or they will let him out of the commitment if he can win a gold medal in the Asian Games this Winter (which is a good possibility, South Korea always advances far in the Olympics, WBC, etc).

I think if he doesn't win the gold medal, he just will never return to South Korea, at least not as Shin Soo Choo. He had chances to do their special 4 week training services for athletes, but skipped all the opportunities he had.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 01:59 PM)
is bad, is bad, is bad. .266/.315/.392/.707 line on the year, and he doesn't face lefties. He's a 4th outfielder who has been forced to play too much on a bad Diamondbacks team.

He is a 23-year-old lefty who has good speed, plays great corner OF defense, has maybe one of the strongest OF arms I have ever seen, does not strike out a ton, and generally hits for a good average (.308 minors hitter, and hit .290 last year). He is not having a good year this year, but he is still only 23 years old.

There are plenty players better than him, but this thread is calling for a sleeper player, which I assume means a guy we can pick up that no one knows about. I can't imagine his value being too high right now, but then again, AZ may want to keep him for their rebuilding process. At the least, he is better than Mark Kotsay, and him and Rios and Pierre would make a very strong OF defensively.