The sleeper thread

shipps

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 12:20 PM)
Welcome to the board!

Have to say though, I'm confused by the idea. I think Boston still sees themselves in the race.

It's probably far fetched (you're right), but it makes sense for both sides. From all the rumors out there the trade market prices in terms if prospects in general are ridiculous. The reliever market even more so, Downs=Joba or Monterro or In BOstons case one of their top prospects.

Looking from the red sox side- They have a stacked roster at 1B/3B/C/DH. They have Victor Mart, Youkilis, Lowell, Ortiz and Cash/Hermedia that all play the same postions for the most part, plus a lot of aging vets that could benefit from Dh. In terms of production in my opinion you basically get the same out if all them. Now from the rumors Lowells market is small and dwindling by the day, however he has shown that when he plays he succeds even with the Bo sox. The way I look at it to trade Ortiz with Lowell 3x a week won't cost them that much in terms of production, for that reason and monetary wise. I don't hve the specifics but I do believe they are both due about the same $ this year, and are free agents (we have team control with Bobby but don't think at this point we pay him what he wants next

Why the palehose may be interested- We don't have to mortgage our future for a left handed bat we so badly need. Hudson remains the 5th starter (or in theory we could trade him for a vetean reliable starter for the playoffs). Our bullpen is solid even without jenks. Putz and thorton are the closets based on matchups (lefty/righty) Santos and Pena/Threets set up. We will be acquring what could be a solid LOOGY out of the pen when we call Sale up in late Aug/Sept. Ortiz is having a great year and would rake in the cell. He's a great clubhouse guy and we aren't really messing with the magical chemistry everyone talks about.

I know looking at it is a head scratcher but really in my opinion it makes a lot of sense. I do think KW makes a move. He has had an itch to add a bat since ST and I believe he knows to hve success in this division and hopefully in the playoffs we need to be able to slug with yankees.

KW is always under the radar and I think he'll surprise everyone again at the deadline. This would be a KW like move in my opinion.

Edited by Frank_Thomas35

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Cali @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 11:48 AM)
I would love to get Joba for Bobby...or just Joba in general somehow.

Getting him out of NYC would do wonders for him I think. Get Coop to do his "fix 'em" and with a little luck you'd have a pretty dominant closer in a few years.

But this season:

Putz

Thornton

Chamberlain

Santos

Threets

Linebrink

Pena

I don't know, the knock on him in Nebraska was that he was too much of a head case to take a chance on.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 11:52 AM)
Why would the Red Sox trade Ortiz in the first place?

Wow. Now that is what you call a sleeper right there. I would love to have had 2004-2007 Big Papi, but I'd be afraid that we'd end up with the 2009 version.

Plus he wants a multi year deal next year.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 03:16 PM)
Wow. Now that is what you call a sleeper right there. I would love to have had 2004-2007 Big Papi, but I'd be afraid that we'd end up with the 2009 version.

Plus he wants a multi year deal next year.

I agree Big Poppi in his prime was one of a kind but his numbers this year are pretty impressive:

HR RBI TB OBP SLG AVG

21 64 161 .370 .535 .256

A Rios/King Konerko/Pappi/TCQ is the best 3-6 in baseball hands down. That lineup is something opposing pitchers fear. I know he wants a multiple year deal next year, let him play for it with us. Let him walk collect B compensation. And then use prospects in the off season to land a power lefty bat like prince or sign Dunn w/o giving up hudson+ flowers, D2, Tank, Morel.

I'm not saying Ortiz is our future DH bur he would sure fit nicely on the south side for 8 weeks + hopefully. Like I said far fetched but a sleeper indeed.

Edited by Frank_Thomas35

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 10:52 PM)
I'll just throw it out here. Don't think it's going to happen, but here it goes anyway: Homer Bailey. We've had interest in the past and Coop can fix 'em.

Not sure it benefits us this year but I wouldn't mind getting him. His price just drops yearly with his lack of growth and the Reds finding better young arms where he is expendable.

An under the radar pitcher the Sox could try and get is Jorge De La Rosa from the Rockies. He's a free agent at the end of the year, the Sox have made trades with Colorado before, and he has great stuff that KW likes. He kind of reminds me of a Javy Vazquez type pitcher, great stuff but struggles at times. He's going to be a type B FA. I'm not sure what he would cost or what the Rockies are looking for but he'd look nice in the the #4/5 pitching slot.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 10:56 PM)
An under the radar pitcher the Sox could try and get is Jorge De La Rosa from the Rockies. He's a free agent at the end of the year, the Sox have made trades with Colorado before, and he has great stuff that KW likes. He kind of reminds me of a Javy Vazquez type pitcher, great stuff but struggles at times. He's going to be a type B FA. I'm not sure what he would cost or what the Rockies are looking for but he'd look nice in the the #4/5 pitching slot.

You may be on to something actually. According to an article on chicagobreakingsports.com, KW's top scout was watching the Rockies recently. For who exactly they mention Hawpe (who I wouldn't mind). But I would be perfectly fine with adding De La Rosa or Arron Cook for a few lower tier prospects IF we traded Hudson for a Dunn or Feilder or top lefty bat. I think those moves would complement each other nicely. I also think Coop has showed he knows how to refine pitchers who throw "Junk" (Shingo-Time, Contrearas, Orlando Hudson, Javy V, and even Floyd when he first came over he couldn't find the strike zone with his curve). Good call Lemon.

Link to article:

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/...de-options.html

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 05:22 AM)
You may be on to something actually. According to an article on chicagobreakingsports.com, KW's top scout was watching the Rockies recently. For who exactly they mention Hawpe (who I wouldn't mind). But I would be perfectly fine with adding De La Rosa or Arron Cook for a few lower tier prospects IF we traded Hudson for a Dunn or Feilder or top lefty bat. I think those moves would complement each other nicely. I also think Coop has showed he knows how to refine pitchers who throw "Junk" (Shingo-Time, Contrearas, Orlando Hudson, Javy V, and even Floyd when he first came over he couldn't find the strike zone with his curve). Good call Lemon.

Link to article:

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/...de-options.html

The fact that scouts from Phil. SF, SD and Cincy were on hand yesterday would mean they'd be looking at a player from our roster. Jenks makes sense. Guys from Wash. and Ariz. might be for Dayan.

At this point I would go with D. Lee from the Cubs as my sleeper pick. He's already rejected a trade with the Angels and said he wants to stay in Chicago and will reject all trades. A move to the White Sox keeps him in the city so he can remain close to his family, yet provides him the opportunity to contend for a championship.

He could rotate in and out at 1B with Konerko and DH on days when he isn't playing in the field. Sure he isn't a left handed bat, but he would be an offensive upgrade from guys like Andruw Jones and certainly Mark Kotsay. By all accounts he's a good clubhouse guy who wouldn't mess with chemistry too much. And the best part is, the White Sox would have all the leverage in such a move. I can't imagine D. Lee is a type A free agent so the Cubs won't be motivated to hold onto him for the two first round picks. Lee could be had for a couple of minor leaguers and Hudson certainly wouldn't have to be involved.

Edited by hawksox13