Job Hunt Thread

dasox24

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 12, 2011 -> 01:41 PM)
I"m not an engineer. I have experience in operations, editing, customer interaction, liaising with development/marketing/sales, and some copywriting. I feel comfortable selling myself in a digital marketing role as well.

That's awesome! Just be prepared for the outrageous housing costs!

You're a smart kid...just move your ass out there with her and hit the pavement and you'll find something soon enough.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 12, 2011 -> 08:55 PM)
That's awesome! Just be prepared for the outrageous housing costs!

You're a smart kid...just move your ass out there with her and hit the pavement and you'll find something soon enough.

Yeah, we don't know how long this is going to be. But, moving from all our friends and family to another city is going to be socially rough, so we'd much rather live in san fran then a cheaper alternative, unfortunately. I'll stay back for a month or two to find a job before moving. It'll help to now be focused. In what we thought would happen, i'm currently interviewing with a job in nyc. But they are based in Sf so I'm hoping they'll like me enough to find something for me.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 12, 2011 -> 02:59 PM)
Yeah, we don't know how long this is going to be. But, moving from all our friends and family to another city is going to be socially rough, so we'd much rather live in san fran then a cheaper alternative, unfortunately. I'll stay back for a month or two to find a job before moving. It'll help to now be focused. In what we thought would happen, i'm currently interviewing with a job in nyc. But they are based in Sf so I'm hoping they'll like me enough to find something for me.

I hear there are a few areas in and around Oakland that are pretty "up and coming." I know everyone uses that phrase when they move into a dumpier part of town, but it might be an option if you find San Fran to be a bit too much to swallow financially at first.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 12, 2011 -> 03:06 PM)
I hear there are a few areas in and around Oakland that are pretty "up and coming." I know everyone uses that phrase when they move into a dumpier part of town, but it might be an option if you find San Fran to be a bit too much to swallow financially at first.

I've heard the same things.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 12, 2011 -> 02:16 PM)
After rereading this I'm not sure that I'd even say that. It might come off as "this guy might leave us for something as trivial as shaving 15 minutes off his commute".

I'm 2 hours 1-way on a good day. Between 2.5 and 3 on bad days.

I think it's a pretty good reason.

If I could find a place that's only 1 hour away, I'd be happy.

Edited by Iwritecode

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Oct 12, 2011 -> 08:38 PM)
I'm 2 hours 1-way on a good day. Between 2.5 and 3 on bad days.

I think it's a pretty good reason.

If I could find a place that's only 1 hour away, I'd be happy.

Holy s***.

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Oct 13, 2011 -> 12:01 AM)
Are Help Desks very closely managed in the industry? Closely managed as in micro-manage each employees time, literally by the minute on what they're working on?

I know that at our branches our phone operators are monitored to the minute, not micromanaged but as a goal to hit a certain % of time with the customers. It's actually motivating for them, and gives them something to aim for everyday.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 13, 2011 -> 01:25 PM)
Do you mind if I ask why you don't move?

There are multiple reasons. One of the biggest is that our house would never sell in the shape it's in. We just gutted and re-did our kitchen and put a new roof on but there is a long list of other things that are falling off or falling apart and need to be fixed/replaced.

Another thing is the cost of living in Rockford is really low. If we moved any closer our cost of living would increase. Plus my wife would have to find a new job because we couldn't survive on my salary alone.

Then there are other things like being close to family & friends, our kids really like their schools, etc...

It's something we may think about more a few years down the road after the kids graduate and the house repairs are done.

I am working at two internships. Let's put it this way - one is paid (WC) and another one is unpaid (CT). WC's internship ends December 16 and CT's ends November 10.

On multiple occasions, I have been approached by management at the small internet start-up (CT) to work for them as what they described to be a full-time paid internship. Basically you are a full-time employee but the pay is mediocre and there are no insurance benefits.

The issue is that they would like me to join them before WC's internship ends and work for them, OR work 3 days a week with them instead of the 2 that I do and work on that schedule until I work full-time in December (when WC expires).

Personally, I like making money, and am not sure if it is a better option to leave the one that pays until it is over in its entirety. WC will not hire me on, but it is nice to keep saving money instead of working for free and logging 1 day more at the place that doesn't pay. I also want to add that CT has no HR department, has not given me a job description or details on what I would be paid.

I want to work for CT after the other internship ends, but management keeps asking me to log more time at their place when they won't pay me. Should I see if I can work on an alternative schedule (2 days at CT one week and three at CT the next) until the other internship expires? Should I join up with CT now and ask to be paid? Or should I see if CT will extend my internship until December 16 and then hire me on?

EDIT: CT's full-time position would entail PR related work, which is something I am interested in. It also seems that the other interns are not interested in this position so I could be in demand.

Take the paid job. It is already at the place you want to be at. It is a good sign they want to bring you on full-time. The one thing I would ask for is some sort of an end date. How long is the internship, and what are their plans for you at the end of it?

If you aren't going to be hired by the unpaid one anyway, walk away. They haven't made any commitment to you, so you owe them nothing as far as I am concerned.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 18, 2011 -> 08:21 AM)
If you aren't going to be hired by the unpaid one anyway, walk away. They haven't made any commitment to you, so you owe them nothing as far as I am concerned.

If I read his post correctly, the internship that is currently unpaid is the one that wants to hire him.

I'd see if there was a way they could just hire you now; in the very least, let you continue your current setup until the paid internship (WC) runs out, and start the pseudo-filltime paid gig with CT.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Oct 18, 2011 -> 01:08 PM)
If I read his post correctly, the internship that is currently unpaid is the one that wants to hire him.

I'd see if there was a way they could just hire you now; in the very least, let you continue your current setup until the paid internship (WC) runs out, and start the pseudo-filltime paid gig with CT.

Yes farmteam, you have it correct. I doubt they could just hire me now before the end of the internship, but I am trying to convince them that working at the paid internship (WC) benefits CT since I would have four months of PR skills under my belt. After sitting in on a meeting with their PR agency today, there's no question that I will need all of the help I can get to do a good job for them. Learning more about PR from my experiences at the agency (pitching, written pitches, news releases, fact sheets) will all come more naturally with finishing the paid internship.

I offered to try to leave my other internship two weeks earlier so I could start full-time in December and work more days close to Thanksgiving when business is expected to just take off. And I also offered to work Saturdays which isn't uncommon for a start-up. Hopefully this will work for them - this is what I had emailed over to the acting HR rep and the co-founder tonight.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 19, 2011 -> 11:18 AM)
Visited san fran this week. Got some good networking done. Pretty confident, now.

What'd ya think?

I was there around this time last year. A bit rainy (of course I'm used to 300 days of sunshine now), but some amazing culture...

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Oct 13, 2011 -> 12:01 AM)
Are Help Desks very closely managed in the industry? Closely managed as in micro-manage each employees time, literally by the minute on what they're working on?

You will be graded on your ticket time for sure, thats the reason all major service desk companies put that feature into the tool. Your close rate may also be graded as will the customer sat survey. I've even seen companies grade on how many problems are actually turned into projects for the PMO group.

On my own front, I am actually interviewing with a smaller software company that is a leader in their industry. Its related to cloud computing which is where I want to be for the time being. I have been at 2 enormous companies over the last 7 years and I think maybe getting in early with a smaller one may be a great chance to really grow upwards.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 19, 2011 -> 12:28 PM)
What'd ya think?

I was there around this time last year. A bit rainy (of course I'm used to 300 days of sunshine now), but some amazing culture...

I was there this time last year as well, in fact the day SF clinched the series. f***ing love SF and especially the surrounding areas north of the city on the way to Sonoma (which I really love).