Sox Sign Lastings Milledge to MLC

soxfan420

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Milledge could well make this team slightly better.

However...he's a guy who now looks like a career fringe starter/backup. Career .723 OPS, has never earned/completed a 500 AB+ season.

On top of that, he'd be a guy who would probably get a major league level contract, so it'd be hard to send him down if someone outplayed him in ST.

I'm inclined to go with the Bridge/De Aza option to start the season, but if I were in the GM spot I'd have at least put in a call. I wouldn't really get that bent out of shape about it either way though.

I've changed my mind about 3 times in the last half hour about Milledge possibly being on the team...

First I was like "hey why not give him a shot? Maybe being on and off of several teams is making him realize that being a in the Major Leagues is a priviledge, not a right, and clean up his act"...

But then I stumbled across this... and I thought NO FREAKING WAY I want him in a White Sox uniform.

But after watching the ENTIRE VIDEO, maybe this wasn't entirely his fault. He was gesturing to his own dugout after a run scoring, tie breaking double, and the other team took exception to it. (Hell, keep him from getting on base if that's how you feel!) Well the other team hit him with a pitch, and he stole 2nd base (which I think is always cool). Then, the opposing players, still unhappy about the situation and not satisfied with him being HBP, started the fight, not Milledge. I can't put too much blame on him for that.

Still, I think I would pass. I wouldn't mind seeing him in the majors, just not with the White Sox.

Excuse me for the rambling, I haven't had my coffee yet.

Edited by Chet Kincaid

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 01:32 PM)
I brought it up as soon as I saw him non tendered. The longer he lasts the bigger bargain he becomes. Our bench looks weak and he's a proven legitimate hitter with speed . Only 25 his best years could be ahead of him.

I can say exactly the same thing about De Aza though, with the exception of him being a bit older.

QUOTE (soxfan420 @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 01:26 AM)
seems like he might be a fit for outfield depth? opinions

Really, REALLY glad we didn't trade for him when his value was sky-high a couple years ago, as I and others had suggested.

We have a number of plodders in our lineup still, and if we don't make Lilli our 25th man, a guy who can also be another (besides 44y.o. Omar) late-inning pinch runner will be an asset.

Jon Morosi

@jonmorosi Jon Morosi

#WhiteSox sign Lastings Milledge to minor-league deal, per team release. Major-league invite. #Chicago #MLB #Mets #Nats #Pirates

2 minutes ago via web Favorite Retweet Reply

It's not often that a move suggested on here actually comes to fruition.