*Official* Work Out Thread

maggsmaggs

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Dec 18, 2012 -> 03:54 PM)
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Chocolate milk is a good suggestion because it has a little of everything in it. Another good suggestion is the recovery drinks or pickle juice. For a person training for a triathalon who is going from one to the next this type of nutrition is important.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 18, 2012 -> 05:16 PM)
Chocolate milk is a good suggestion because it has a little of everything in it. Another good suggestion is the recovery drinks or pickle juice. For a person training for a triathalon who is going from one to the next this type of nutrition is important.

Pickle juice?

I'm going to switch to a glass of 1% chocolate milk and a bowl of oatmeal after my morning workout and a protein shake before bed and go from there.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Dec 18, 2012 -> 11:00 AM)
i think you're right, but only to a point. people don't get to looking like fitness models by eating whatever the hell they want whenever they want it as long as they hit their macros.

i think it's a gradient, and the more specific you are, the better your results.

HOWEVER, we're talking about only the elite of the elite. For the average person just looking to get in better shape and lower their risk of illness and injury, you're probably right.

If you're just trying to Change how you look it doesn't matter what you eat if you're hitting your macros. The problem with that is its nearly impossible to hit your macros by eating s***ty food.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 18, 2012 -> 04:16 PM)

Chocolate milk is the ultimate mixture of everything. Mainly yumminess

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Dec 18, 2012 -> 04:20 PM)
Pickle juice?

I'm going to switch to a glass of 1% chocolate milk and a bowl of oatmeal after my morning workout and a protein shake before bed and go from there.

Pickle juice is the original gatorade. It has the sodium and such that muscle need for energy. The basis of the krebs cycle is the Na and K (potassium). This is how energy is developed. It works well and many colleges use it because it's cheap (the leftovers that the cafeteria would throw away). Your routine looks good. Just make sure it's well rounded.

sooo i've been doing the new Les Mills Combat program (just dabbling in it to learn the workouts, starting for real January 1). Did one of the workouts yesterday that focuses on boxing and tae kwon do, with a little muay thai and karate thrown in for good measure.

I had no idea what a good workout this kind of stuff is. Not a single pound of weight in my hand, and yet today my biceps, shoulders and upper back are more sore than they've ever been after P90X. This MMA stuff is solid.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Dec 19, 2012 -> 01:19 PM)
sooo i've been doing the new Les Mills Combat program (just dabbling in it to learn the workouts, starting for real January 1). Did one of the workouts yesterday that focuses on boxing and tae kwon do, with a little muay thai and karate thrown in for good measure.

I had no idea what a good workout this kind of stuff is. Not a single pound of weight in my hand, and yet today my biceps, shoulders and upper back are more sore than they've ever been after P90X. This MMA stuff is solid.

That's because you're used to doing P90X now, you're conditioned for it. After a spell, you'll be conditioned for this, too, and it will also stop hurting.

I played Hockey for years, but I always *loved* baseball...at the time, I was in shape enough to play hockey every single day...so one day we decided to play baseball...and the next day I thought I got hit by a truck. I simply wasn't in the same condition for those movements.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Dec 20, 2012 -> 09:10 AM)
That's because you're used to doing P90X now, you're conditioned for it. After a spell, you'll be conditioned for this, too, and it will also stop hurting.

I played Hockey for years, but I always *loved* baseball...at the time, I was in shape enough to play hockey every single day...so one day we decided to play baseball...and the next day I thought I got hit by a truck. I simply wasn't in the same condition for those movements.

And here I thought muscle confusion was just fancy marketing. ;)

QUOTE (Reddy @ Dec 20, 2012 -> 08:16 AM)
And here I thought muscle confusion was just fancy marketing. ;)

That's because it is.

You cannot "confuse" muscles. You can only overload a muscle, causing it to begin a rebuilding process to become bigger/stronger. Billions have been spent by that industry to perpetuate the 'muscle confusion' lie.

The only thing changing up a routine (aka muscle confusion) actually does is prevent workout boredom, and causes you to use a wide array of muscles. If that's what you want to call muscle confusion, fine...we can say it works. But all that actually is, is working out properly. IE, a full body workout is better than doing bicep curls every day. Has nothing to do with "confusion", however. ;)

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Dec 20, 2012 -> 09:27 AM)
That's because it is.

You cannot "confuse" muscles. You can only overload a muscle, causing it to begin a rebuilding process to become bigger/stronger. Billions have been spent by that industry to perpetuate the 'muscle confusion' lie.

The only thing changing up a routine (aka muscle confusion) actually does is prevent workout boredom, and causes you to use a wide array of muscles. If that's what you want to call muscle confusion, fine...we can say it works. But all that actually is, is working out properly. IE, a full body workout is better than doing bicep curls every day. Has nothing to do with "confusion", however. ;)

hold on hold on....

you said switching up your workout is good because it works muscles in different ways, thus why i feel so incredibly sore, but that muscle confusion (i know it's a fancy term, we don't have to call it that if you want) isn't at all real?

I agree that they've overhyped and oversimplified it to be consumed by the masses, but boredom isn't the reason my biceps are sore this morning without doing one curl.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Dec 20, 2012 -> 08:53 AM)
hold on hold on....

you said switching up your workout is good because it works muscles in different ways, thus why i feel so incredibly sore, but that muscle confusion (i know it's a fancy term, we don't have to call it that if you want) isn't at all real?

I agree that they've overhyped and oversimplified it to be consumed by the masses, but boredom isn't the reason my biceps are sore this morning without doing one curl.

The way it's sold to consumers, it's doesn't really exist. You aren't confusing anything. Overloading a muscle is what makes the muscle grow, period. You don't have to change up your workout to continue making a specific muscle grow...all you have to do is continue overloading the target muscle.

Changing workouts prevents people from getting bored of the same routines, thus they stop pushing themselves without really realizing it.

The problem with the term is that it's sold as a method of "preventing plateau", by "confusing" the muscle, when that's not what it really does. If you want to consider muscle confusion as simply changing up to different exercising, that's fine...but that's not what they sell it as.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Dec 20, 2012 -> 10:40 AM)
The way it's sold to consumers, it's doesn't really exist. You aren't confusing anything. Overloading a muscle is what makes the muscle grow, period. You don't have to change up your workout to continue making a specific muscle grow...all you have to do is continue overloading the target muscle.

Changing workouts prevents people from getting bored of the same routines, thus they stop pushing themselves without really realizing it.

The problem with the term is that it's sold as a method of "preventing plateau", by "confusing" the muscle, when that's not what it really does. If you want to consider muscle confusion as simply changing up to different exercising, that's fine...but that's not what they sell it as.

Bored or something? Because you are seriously splitting hairs on marketing terminology.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Dec 20, 2012 -> 11:40 AM)

which... prevents... your... plateau...

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Dec 20, 2012 -> 01:39 PM)
No, it does not.

You're right. The only thing you need to "change" to make a muscle grow is progressively increase the resistance. The only benefit to occasionally changing things up is if your original design was flawed to the extent that you were neglecting certain muscles. Even then, it wouldn't be productive to completely change your workout very often if you plan on making specific muscles grow. If you want to get sweaty, then sure, just sweat in every different way you want to.

For someone that wanted to improve their physique via muscle growth, their workouts need not look that much different from month to month. There are certain lifts and movements that should always be in your routine if possible.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 20, 2012 -> 01:55 PM)
You're right. The only thing you need to "change" to make a muscle grow is progressively increase the resistance. The only benefit to occasionally changing things up is if your original design was flawed to the extent that you were neglecting certain muscles. Even then, it wouldn't be productive to completely change your workout very often if you plan on making specific muscles grow. If you want to get sweaty, then sure, just sweat in every different way you want to.

For someone that wanted to improve their physique via muscle growth, their workouts need not look that much different from month to month. There are certain lifts and movements that should always be in your routine if possible.

This is exactly what I was trying to say.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 20, 2012 -> 02:55 PM)

Suddenly you've made me feel much better about my weight training routine.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 20, 2012 -> 02:39 PM)
Suddenly you've made me feel much better about my weight training routine.

I prefer a much more rounded routine with alot of change day to day because I feel it gives you a much more well rounded physique and caloric burn, however if you are looking for growth, focus is invaluable.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 20, 2012 -> 03:41 PM)
I prefer a much more rounded routine with alot of change day to day because I feel it gives you a much more well rounded physique and caloric burn, however if you are looking for growth, focus is invaluable.

agreed

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 20, 2012 -> 02:41 PM)

If you really want to change it up only do eccentric or negative work. This type of activity is the strongest type of contract and will increase muscle mass the fastest. It is also the only way muscles gets sore.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 21, 2012 -> 08:29 AM)
If you really want to change it up only do eccentric or negative work. This type of activity is the strongest type of contract and will increase muscle mass the fastest. It is also the only way muscles gets sore.

Really? I didn't know that.

That's a super useful bit of information. Interesting...

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 21, 2012 -> 07:29 AM)

Important note - certain lifts need a spotter when you do negatives! :lol: