Enough with the hyperbole

Chisoxfn

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait a minute? What is this? Where is this coming from? It's the 'optimists' that are trying to impose their will on everybody? So I can't hate on Juan Pierre or Adam Dunn or Alex Rios or any of the other garbage on this roster outside of a select few? Tell me now and you won't have to ban me. I don't live for Soxtalk. I'll go to another board.

Feel free to move on. This place is for intelligent conversation and while I'm wrong more than I'm right and am not about to claim what is intelligent and what isn't, I will say that talking in hyperbole and constant absolutes does nothing for the site.

And from talking to a ton of long time members on this site, it is a true detriment and hinders many great posters from posting. And if to bring back a lot of quality posters, it means certain people have to take time-outs or move there posts elsewhere, than so be it.

Soxtalk is always there for people to put out there opinion (positive or negative) but when peoples opinions and styles prevent and hinder free communication, than that is where the line in the sand is drawn.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 08:40 PM)
If I'm understanding right you are referring to douchey comments like, "See, there's really no reason for Ozzie to still be our manager, anybody can see that". Yes?

Yep, that would be one example. There have been far too many posts that prevent any sort of discussion. And last I looked, this was a place to have discussions and debate. It is not just a soapbox for you to massage your own message board ego and stand tall and say how smart you are and make ridiculous comments.

Note: Most people aren't even close to having problems and not once have I said people have to be negative or positive. You could be positive and speaking ridiculous and be in the same boat as someone that is negative and being ridiculous. I draw the line when the majority of the conversation out of any individual poster hinders/prevents debate and discussion.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 10:47 PM)
Fair enough. It's not my board. You won't have to ban me. I just won't post here. Or at least not nearly as much. If I can't share my views and opinions the way I see fit without worrying about a suspension or ban then this board is no longer the place for me.

It just seems to me, in my humble opinion, that you post a certain way not necessarily because you honestly believe that, but because you enjoy the attention.

You're an intelligent poster and a great addition to Soxtalk. But this recent trip you've been on has not been your finest moment.

Again, just my humble opinion.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 09:47 PM)
Fair enough. It's not my board. You won't have to ban me. I just won't post here. Or at least not nearly as much. If I can't share my views and opinions the way I see fit without worrying about a suspension or ban then this board is no longer the place for me.

Aww, don't go away, but please try to be less defensive. Really, some of us would miss you. Anyway, I'm thinking a line like this from the AJ v PV thread was a more likely inspiration for the warning than anything you did today:

"I'm not sure if you have made a meaningful contribution in any thread since you've been here."

Of course, I could be wrong/missed a few posts.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 10:51 PM)
It just seems to me, in my humble opinion, that you post a certain way not necessarily because you honestly believe that, but because you enjoy the attention.

You're an intelligent poster and a great addition to Soxtalk. But this recent trip you've been on has not been your finest moment.

Again, just my humble opinion.

How does one be negative without sounding, well, negative? I do have a negative view towards the Sox. 4 missed playoffs in 5 years and another season in which we're still below .500 justifies that. Now the thing I liked about this board was that you could post freely as long as you didn't cross that 'line'. If that's changing, just let it be known. That's all.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 10:53 PM)
Aww, don't go away, but please try to be less defensive. Really, some of us would miss you. Anyway, I'm thinking a line like this from the AJ v PV thread was a more likely inspiration for the warning than anything you did today:

"I'm not sure if you have made a meaningful contribution in any thread since you've been here."

Of course, I could be wrong/missed a few posts.

There's a dozen or so posters who seem to say things just to piss people off. Try to look at Soxalk from an outside perspective. If you read the board and a lot of the posts, you'd think that people want guys like Pierre or Peavy or Dunn to fail just so they can say "I told you so." There are literally a few posters who I think enjoy seeing the team fail.

And like Jason said, when you have bad posters preventing good posters from wanting to post, that becomes a big problem and it only compounds itself. Bad posters post more, good posters go away, discussion turns to crap, and the overall quality of the board decreases more and more.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 11:54 PM)
How does one be negative without sounding, well, negative? I do have a negative view towards the Sox. 4 missed playoffs in 5 years and another season in which we're still below .500 justifies that. Now the thing I liked about this board was that you could post freely as long as you didn't cross that 'line'. If that's changing, just let it be known. That's all.

That right there is one way of doing it.

Stating facts and being rational is a good start.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 08:54 PM)

You can be negative. Its all in how you phrase it.

A post that says, White sox are amazing, best team ever. They are like cookies and bubble game is just as s***ty as....this team is f***ing horrible...what clowns, I could do a better job.

Bottom line is, any of the above is pure crap. You want to be negative, be negative, but don't be annoying (and again, this works to both sides). Don't bash and bash an argument to death and talk in absolutes and more importantly, be negative with poise.

Talk about why and what and how you'd fix things. IF all you have to add is that Pierre is the worse POS in the world and you want to post that 100 times a day or a week, well quite frankly, thats bulls***. It is as bad as me posting 1000 times that Pierre is amazing, I'm gonna run him out till he's 90.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 10:58 PM)
That right there is one way of doing it.

Stating facts and being rational is a good start.

Facts? Are you sure? You want me to post Pierre's, Rios', Dunn's, Beckham's, AJ's, Morel's Thorton's numbers vs their position peers? I've got some facts for you.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 12:00 AM)
Facts? Are you sure? You want me to post Pierre's, Rios', Dunn's, Beckham's, AJ's, Morel's Thorton's numbers vs their position peers? I've got some facts for you.

Explain how things can improve, or why you don't think they will without insulting people.

Im not sure if your going for the martyr here or what, but I dont think this is all about you. The place is annoyingly negative, at least in my opinion. I considered starting a joke thread that I wouldnt post in PHT until the Sox were above 500, just because I got tired of reading how the Sox are the worst etc, in every thread.

To me though its not you, its just the state of White Sox fans right now or at least the more vocal ones on this site. Banning people wont change that, because its really hard to be positive and talk about how great the Sox are going to be when they seemingly cant get their s*** together.

Maybe its that it seems like people are actively hoping the Sox lose, I dont know.

At least that is my opinion on this controversy.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 11:03 PM)
Explain how things can improve, or why you don't think they will without insulting people.

And I dare you to find a post in which I insulted another poster.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 11:04 PM)
Based upon your responses, it is pretty evident your goal is to just be a loud obnoxious ass. And if thats the case, just be so somewhere else.

You're right in that I should find another place to post. This place is turning into WSI. I want no part of this. You won't have to worry about me anymore. Have fun with ranger or whatever.

By the way, I want to reiterate that it has nothing to do with being negative. I could point out a lot of posters, who tend to be more negative, that I feel are some of the best posters on this site. And for most of your tenure, J4L, I would have said you were one of our better posters.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 12:06 AM)
And I dare you to find a post in which I insulted another poster.

You're right in that I should find another place to post. This place is turning into WSI. I want no part of this. You won't have to worry about me anymore. Have fun with ranger or whatever.

Over/under on the first WSI reference was 22.5, who had the under?

I have to agree with Jason here. I'm all about being able to voice opinions - positive or negative - but a lot of the posting on here (particularly the PHT) has gotten ridiculous. I hardly ever read PHT anymore and rarely post in it, mainly because of reasons Jason has pointed out. I pretty much stick to SLaM and the Sports Pub, which is actually really sad to me since the only reason I ever used to come to this board was to talk Sox baseball.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 11:21 PM)
I have to agree with Jason here. I'm all about being able to voice opinions - positive or negative - but a lot of the posting on here (particularly the PHT) has gotten ridiculous. I hardly ever read PHT anymore and rarely post in it, mainly because of reasons Jason has pointed out. I pretty much stick to SLaM and the Sports Pub, which is actually really sad to me since the only reason I ever used to come to this board was to talk Sox baseball.

That's exactly what we're trying to get away from. I've had similar experiences. It's impossible to be optimistic on PHT anymore because you will get smashed instantly and called an idiot. Hell, I've avoided game threads like the plague for a LONG time now.