White Sox @ Rockies, 7:40pm, WCIU

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rios, really?

This ball has to be put away with ease. Misjudged it from the beginning, bad route, bad timing, lost sight of it and couldn't correct.

What are the odds they DON'T tie the game or take the lead?

Plus, Rios can't even be bothered to hustle down the line. Ozzie really needs to bench him for a week just to show him that the game needs to be respected. Ozzie is always so quick to put Beckham or Morel or Viciedo (last year) on the bench, but he won't ever do that to veterans, because he doesn't want to "disrespect" them.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 07:57 PM)
Rios, really?

This ball has to be put away with ease. Misjudged it from the beginning, bad route, bad timing, lost sight of it and couldn't correct.

What are the odds they DON'T tie the game or take the lead?

Plus, Rios can't even be bothered to hustle down the line. Ozzie really needs to bench him for a week just to show him that the game needs to be respected. Ozzie is always so quick to put Beckham or Morel or Viciedo (last year) on the bench, but he won't ever do that to veterans, because he doesn't want to "disrespect" them.

I don't know - you tell me.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 08:57 PM)
That had nothing to do with being lazy, it hit him in the heel of the glove.

He has 2 errors the entire season, once in a while a ball is going to bounce out of a mitt.

He did about 5 things wrong on ONE SINGLE PLAY.

If you're not going to hit and you're not going to hustle down the line...the least you can do for $12 million is protect your pitcher.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 08:58 PM)
Outside of Pierre the Sox defense has been pretty great. When Alexei is one of your bigger liabilities it really says something, im pretty sure Beckham is leading the league at 2b in fielding.

The one thing that doesn't take into account is AJ's play, particularly his inability to throw out runners even on pitchouts.

Quentin is definitely better this year, though. Hard to be worse than last year. Maybe JD at the end.

A ball hit directly at a CF is basically the hardest ball to judge for any outfielder. It hit Rios in the mitt, he didnt catch it. Maybe if he made a play like that every week, Id say you are on to something. But he has 2 errors (counting that one I believe) the entire season. That means basically every ball that hits his mitt is an out. Im willing to give the guy a break.

I get that the Rios haters have been sitting in the weeds as his average slowly creeps up, but if youre going to hate on him, make it reasonable.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 09:59 PM)
He did about 5 things wrong on ONE SINGLE PLAY.

If you're not going to hit and you're not going to hustle down the line...the least you can do for $12 million is protect your pitcher.

I imagine you would be a heck of a centerfielder, I'm starting to agree it's getting old. Ok bad play complain and move on, man there's gonna be 5 pages in th thread on the rios play

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 08:00 PM)
lazy route on that ball by Rios after he didn't run out that popup.

Who's more offensive: Dunn, Rios or Kenny Williams for fetching them?

"Lazy route" means he didn't get there in time. That was not the case, as he did get there in plenty of time, but as was mentioned, the ball hit off the heel of his glove, for only his 2nd error of the season. That is not the same as him not hustling down the line, which I agree was (or is, if he continues) a problem.

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 09:01 PM)
I imagine you would be a heck of a centerfielder, I'm starting to agree it's getting old. Ok bad play complain and move on, man there's gonna be 5 pages in th thread on the rios play

That would double the entire thread. And it doesn't matter, since the run didn't score. However, Floyd had to throw extra stressful pitches to get out of the inning and the worst part is that Rios can get away with basically anything and Ozzie will never discipline him or bench him.

I'll defer to DJ, a former outfielder and never one to rip on Sox players too much. "What's going on there? That's a play that simply has to be made, no excuses."

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 10:04 PM)
That would double the entire thread. And it doesn't matter, since the run didn't score. However, Floyd had to throw extra stressful pitches to get out of the inning and the worst part is that Rios can get away with basically anything and Ozzie will never discipline him or bench him.

Guy's got 2 errors, s*** happens

QUOTE (TomPickle @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 09:05 PM)
Or Rios could have hustled and made the catch at his chest instead of trying catch it over his shoulder.

Either way.

That makes the play about 2x more difficult. If you want to b****, the complaint should be that Rios was nonchalant about catching it, not that he was lazy on the route, not that he didnt get their in time, just that he got there so easily that he went with one hand and really didnt focus.

There are ways to be critical without completely changing how the CF position is played.