Quentin sought after by BOS

harfman77

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 12:43 PM)
In the playoffs you really can throw the regular season out the window. And we have pitching that can shut down a team on any given night. We'd absolutely have a chance to do something IMO

Right now the playoff teams in the AL besides the AL Central would be:

Boston

Texas

Yankees.

We are 3-0 against Boston, 2-2 against New York and 2-3 against Texas. I feel like we can compete in the playoffs since we play better against better competition. However, getting there is proving difficult due to our inconsistency.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 12:47 PM)
That's about the polar opposite of what it would be.

Obviously, the Sox would do their best to get something good in return. But, he's due to be an 8-10 million dollar player next year. In case you haven't noticed their trying to trim payroll as much as you can right now. Attendance has been miserable and the sox aren't performing. Why else would you trade away your second best hitter in the middle of a pennant race? Are we to assume once Viciedo comes to Chicago he will immediately put up the exact same or better production where we won't miss Q?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 12:51 PM)
How does thinking he's worth the Phillies top 2 or 3 prospects mean that we think he's underrated?

People dismissing the rumor or being surprised that this is the kind of package we should get in return for him.

Even though Q is our #2 bat, losing him and plugging in a couple of young, exciting players may not actually hurt us at all. There's so much talent here already, maybe letting a few pups run around would reinvigorate some of the big dogs lazily wasting away in the shade.

Also, let's trade Humber. I'm still not buying this guy long-term.

I just don't see that happening. Quentin is one of the best hitters on the market at position that several contenders need. We are still technically in the playoff hunt ourselves and cutting salary in the Jackson/Teahen allows us to afford him the rest of the way if we choose.

Teams will really have to entice us to move him. I think there will be less BS offers too, which will allow KW to really gauge Quentin's value. Therefore, if he decides to move him, I think we'll get a very nice return. The question will come down to which package he should accept. I just don't see how you can pass up on a Brown-centered deal. He and Viciedo would look great in LF and RF for the next six years. Having said that, I'd be happy to take some young pitching prospects from the Braves, although that's got a higher chance of busting.

Just for the heck of it I am gonna throw this out there even though it is a major bonehead question. What if CQ's value is so high for either Phili or Atlanta that we entice (Or try) to get them to take Rios from us and we lower the asking price and throw in some salary relief. Interesting angle but it would rid us of the worst of the 3 sand bags. As bad as Peavy's and Dunn's contracts are at least they try when they are out there.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 12:51 PM)
I think he's a great player. His defense this year has been just amazing compared to last year. I'd miss him, but if we're not going to have the money to extend him after next year, then right now is the perfect time to cash in on him.

I just don't know if he's a player we can afford to move right now...We have as good a chance to win this division as anyone right now, and with Peavy and Dunn and Rios on our payroll for the next 2-3 years, I'm not sure going young at this very moment, versus keeping Q and Danks and Floyd and trying to win this year and next, is the best solution.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 11:53 AM)
People dismissing the rumor or being surprised that this is the kind of package we should get in return for him.

That's a ton for any player. Quentin has been a great player this year but he's not an upper echelon superstar where you completely destroy your farm. 2 of those players I can see but all 3? That seems a little too outrageous to me. Hope I'm wrong.

Dayan's plate discipline has improved by about a million times this year so using his career stats for that is insanely misleading.

This season he's up to 7.7%, which is improvement from flat-out sucking to mediocre, and that's against AAA pitching where the control isn't nearly as good.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 12:55 PM)
That's a ton for any player. Quentin has been a great player this year but he's not an upper echelon superstar where you completely destroy your farm. 2 of those players I can see but all 3? That seems a little too outrageous to me. Hope I'm wrong.

One Domonic Brown is more than fair.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 05:54 PM)
I just don't know if he's a player we can afford to move right now...We have as good a chance to win this division as anyone right now, and with Peavy and Dunn and Rios on our payroll for the next 2-3 years, I'm not sure going young at this very moment, versus keeping Q and Danks and Floyd and trying to win this year and next, is the best solution.

I hate you :lolhitting

QUOTE (Special K @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 12:52 PM)
Obviously, the Sox would do their best to get something good in return. But, he's due to be an 8-10 million dollar player next year. In case you haven't noticed their trying to trim payroll as much as you can right now. Attendance has been miserable and the sox aren't performing. Why else would you trade away your second best hitter in the middle of a pennant race? Are we to assume once Viciedo comes to Chicago he will immediately put up the exact same or better production where we won't miss Q?

You trade a streaky, injury risk player at the absolute peak of his value/market. You're most likely not going to match whatever obscene offer he gets in 2013, you pillage a top farm system, and plug in a comparable hitter...me thinks you don't understand what a "salary dump" is. Teahen was a salary dump, trading Q for a couple top-50 prospects is not.

QUOTE (SpainSOXfan09 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 01:53 PM)
Just for the heck of it I am gonna throw this out there even though it is a major bonehead question. What if CQ's value is so high for either Phili or Atlanta that we entice (Or try) to get them to take Rios from us and we lower the asking price and throw in some salary relief. Interesting angle but it would rid us of the worst of the 3 sand bags. As bad as Peavy's and Dunn's contracts are at least they try when they are out there.

If we can get a value in young talent for him I'd rather do that. The phils would never be in a position to absorb Rios's deal; they're $3 million away from the luxury tax threshold this year (or less) and taking on Rios would put them in paying the luxury tax for several years. The Braves aren't usually a team that I think of as having a ton of extra money to spend despite the size of their market.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 12:55 PM)
This season he's up to 7.7%, which is improvement from flat-out sucking to mediocre, and that's against AAA pitching where the control isn't nearly as good.

Plus theres that whole thumb injury

QUOTE (Special K @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 12:52 PM)

Not saying it will happen, but given Q's streaky nature, it isn't that far out there to think that Viciedo could match or beat Q's production over a 2-month period. That's a risk I'd be willing to take if we get a nice return.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 05:45 PM)
FWIW, here's what a Braves fan friend of mine had to say about Beachy:

mediocre stuff at best, but very smart and with great control.... he usually is quite good because of that, though when he has an off day and the control isn't there he gets killed.... basically, awesome #4

Here are some of the Braves top prospects:

NoteIt wasn't going to the Braves page for me. Just click on By Team and go to the Braves:

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y20...ex.jsp?c_id=atl

Edited by beck72

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 12:51 PM)
If you're taking Dayan Viciedo's career minor league walk rate to mean anything then you flat out haven't paid any attention to his development.

And if he hits in the Majors like he is capable of, pitchers are going to stay away from him more, meaning either his overall numbers go down or his walks go up. I think he's good enough for the latter to be the case, and that's what we'd be betting on.

But no matter what, CQ isn't any sure thing himself, and even if he were to tear it up for the rest of this year and all of next, we'd still have to be pretty skeptical about signing him to the massive 4+ year deal that he'd command afterwards under those conditions.

We'd be crazy not to sell on him if we could really clean up here.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 12:56 PM)
I hate you :lolhitting

Well, I've been saying this since the day we signed Dunn...this became a commitment for more than just this year...this became a commitment for 3-4 years. It's awfully hard to rebuild when you've got to commit $90 million in payroll while fielding a 70 win team, especially with this fan base.

I think you almost have to stick with your plan and try to win in this window and pray that you can get something out of Dunn and Peavy. Baseball is a weird, weird game. If you can get yourself into the playoffs (or at least stay in the pennant race down the stretch), who knows, maybe Dunn will find his stroke again and turn red hot when we need him most. Stranger things have happened.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 01:55 PM)

8.6% since May 1, and he struggled for the first full month recovering from that broken thumb so it's not unreasonable to discount April.

Pretty sure this will be Quentin's highest trade value barring a 2008 renaissance next year, plus two teams want him, or at least we think they do (theres still a slight possibility that somebody from either ATL or PHI is trying to artificially drive up CQ's value with no intention of finalizing the transaction

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 12:56 PM)
You trade a streaky, injury risk player at the absolute peak of his value/market. You're most likely not going to match whatever obscene offer he gets in 2013, you pillage a top farm system, and plug in a comparable hitter...me thinks you don't understand what a "salary dump" is. Teahen was a salary dump, trading Q for a couple top-50 prospects is not.

What do you want to bet the Sox won't get a couple of top 50 prospects for Quentin? And let's take a look at KW's track record for trading for prospects before we go ahead and trade our second best hitter for this year and next.

QUOTE (Real @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 02:01 PM)
Pretty sure this will be Quentin's highest trade value barring a 2008 renaissance next year, plus two teams want him, or at least we think they do (theres still a slight possibility that somebody from either ATL or PHI is trying to artificially drive up CQ's value with no intention of finalizing the transaction

I wouldn't mind being the beneficiary of that type of behavior, one team driving up the price to hurt the ohter.

QUOTE (Special K @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 02:03 PM)
What do you want to bet the Sox won't get a couple of top 50 prospects for Quentin? And let's take a look at KW's track record for trading for prospects before we go ahead and trade our second best hitter for this year and next.

The last time KW traded a player for prospects the year before he hit FA that I can remember (other than of course Edwin Jackson) was Freddy Garcia for Gavin Floyd and Gio Gonzalez.