Indians awarded claim on Thome

justBLAZE

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Baron @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 12:08 PM)
I love when people guarantee how a player will feel when something happens. Do you sleep next to him at night? Hell for all you know he could be absolutely thrilled.

YES! I GET TO GO BACK TO A .500 TEAM! It's OK, I never really wanted to win a title in my 21-year career.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 12:10 PM)
YES! I GET TO GO BACK TO A .500 TEAM! It's OK, I never really wanted to win a title in my 21-year career.

Yeah you arent Jim Thome or Jim Thome's wife. So really you know as much as anyone on here about his thoughts if we were to claim him.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 12:09 PM)
Well if you truly believe we are still contenders for a WS title then so be it. I do not hold the same belief whatsoever.

Its about making the effort for that.. they already decided they were going for it when they didn't make any real moves at the deadline, so whats the point of b****ing about it now you might as well just hope they can sneak into the playoffs and see what happens.. Thome would help that push, I don't think hed be upset coming here

QUOTE (Baron @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 12:11 PM)
Yeah you arent Jim Thome or Jim Thome's wife. So really you know as much as anyone on here about his thoughts if we were to claim him.

I bet he also wouldn't like to have his leg caught in a bear trap. I'll never get to know for sure, though, as I'm not him or his spouse.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 01:10 PM)
Don't forget Thome saying that he felt the Sox organization wasn't as professional as some other clubs he's been on. No way would we bring him back, IMO

That wasn't a knock at the Sox though, that was a "This is a very loose, fun clubhouse" compliment.

QUOTE (Papa Tru @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 12:11 PM)
Its about making the effort for that.. they already decided they were going for it when they didn't make any real moves at the deadline, so whats the point of b****ing about it now you might as well just hope they can sneak into the playoffs and see what happens.. Thome would help that push, I don't think hed be upset coming here

Because you're basically screwing the classiest player in baseball (possibly in the entire history of the game) from getting his final shot at a title just because you're too stubborn to admit that you don't really have a chance.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 12:13 PM)
Because you're basically screwing the classiest player in baseball (possibly in the entire history of the game) from getting his final shot at a title just because you're too stubborn to admit that you don't really have a chance.

Did he say he was going to retire?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 12:13 PM)

I think its more s***ty to just let someone who could help your team out go to an arranged team so they can sit on the bench and get a WS title he didn't even earn just so he can have one.. that is whats s***ty..

QUOTE (Papa Tru @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 12:15 PM)
I think its more s***ty to just let someone who could help your team out go to an arranged team so they can sit on the bench and get a WS title he didn't even earn just so he can have one.. that is whats s***ty..

He'd be a pinch hitter, and likely a good one. And I can't believe you actually would believe that's s***tier. But then again, I can't believe you actually think there's a chance the Sox still win this thing.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 12:16 PM)
There's been much speculation. It really doesn't even make sense for him to come back. He's already a part-time player having trouble staying healthy even at that, and now he has his 600 homers.

Seems like there has been only speculation about a variety of things . . . in this thread.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 12:12 PM)
I bet he also wouldn't like to have his leg caught in a bear trap. I'll never get to know for sure, though, as I'm not him or his spouse.

Yeah playing for the Chicago White Sox who are playing for a playoff spot. Geez what a drag.

QUOTE (MAX @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 12:18 PM)
Seems like there has been only speculation about a variety of things . . . in this thread.

Well, the title is "Should White Sox place a waiver claim on Jim Thome?" It's an entirely hypothetical situation, so what else would there be besides speculation?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 11:37 AM)
If people around baseball have as much respect for the man as they seem to, they'll let him get to the Phillies. That man, more than any other player in the game, deserves to be given that chance.

Then perhaps he shouldn't have sign with the Twins in the first place?

QUOTE (Baron @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 12:19 PM)
Yeah playing for the Chicago White Sox who are playing for a playoff spot. Geez what a drag.

As opposed to playing for the Yankees/Red Sox/Phillies/Brewers/Braves who are locks for the playoffs and actually have a chance to make it to the World Series. Yes, it is a drag in comparison.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 12:17 PM)
He'd be a pinch hitter, and likely a good one. And I can't believe you actually would believe that's s***tier. But then again, I can't believe you actually think there's a chance the Sox still win this thing.

Yawn.. you gave up on the seasons in April, so I don't really care what kind of witty green responses you have for me.. were 5.5 games out with 6 games against Detroit and the rest of em against KC/CLE/MIN so yes there is still a very real chance we can win the division if we can take care of business..

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 12:20 PM)
Well, the title is "Should White Sox place a waiver claim on Jim Thome?" It's an entirely hypothetical situation, so what else would there be besides speculation?

The thought that we shouldn't take him because we might hurt his chances at a championship never crossed my mind because as I said, its too unpredictable to pick a champion right now. I'm not even certain which teams are going to be in the playoffs save a few.

I thought the thread was made to discuss if the white sox would benefit from claiming him in the long and short term.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 12:21 PM)
As opposed to playing for the Yankees/Red Sox/Phillies/Brewers/Braves who are locks for the playoffs and actually have a chance to make it to the World Series. Yes, it is a drag in comparison.

You know what if he doesnt like that we claimed him if we do then he can retire. Hell we may not even claim him and there really is no loss for the White Sox if we do.

QUOTE (Papa Tru @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 12:22 PM)
Yawn.. you gave up on the seasons in April, so I don't really care what kind of witty green responses you have for me.. were 5.5 games out with 6 games against Detroit and the rest of em against KC/CLE/MIN so yes there is still a very real chance we can win the division if we can take care of business..

And I've been extremely right so far. The only reason we've remained "in" the race is because of the s***tiness of the division. And since then, the Tigers have gotten even better. I've also said since the beginning that the Sox could still win the division, due only to how bad it is, but that we would do absolutely nothing if we miraculously made the playoffs. I don't think we've gained on the Tigers in over a month or two. I see nothing changing.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 12:21 PM)

Who cares if we're a .500 team. It's still early in the season.