Robin Ventura Named White Sox Manager

Steve9347

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coop stammering all over the place about what happened. Sounds very defensive.

-Ozzie was asked about his coaches at Soxfest when he got the extension. Coop says he told Kenny "Let 'em sweat".

-Ozzie did in fact text Coop saying "You finally got what you wanted".

-Coop did go around Ozzie to Kenny for an extension.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 02:46 AM)
I just read all the Trib articles and Lamont's quotes and this is a scary hire.

Yes I believe Cowley. If he's wrong, he's putting his job on the line. What Cooper did is really sleazy.

Nobody likes a backstabber. It's WRONG. If this was the 1950s, Ozzie would beat his ass.

But nowadays he'll spend time in prison for smashing Coop a good one in the nose.

(I'm assuming the article is true; if not, my bad).

You continuously talk about Ozzie physically beating someone up. Don Cooper has probably around 80 pounds on Ozzie Guillen and a height advantage. He'd beat the piss out of Ozzie, as would KW and almost anyone else you can think of. Ozzie Guillen is a little b****, just like the rest of his family. He talks a big game, but he's a p****.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (MAX @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 04:00 AM)
I am not purposefully singling you out. It seems as if half of the forum is basing their opinion on this hire on things they assume they know.

And people supporting it are doing the same thing. The things they don't know are positive, though, so it's acceptable.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 05:19 AM)
Ha. I thought my co-workers were kidding about this the whole time. Just found out now. Really weird to see, but Robin was a favorite of mine growing up so I think it's awesome. Now, from a baseball perspective I don't know, but I'll reserve judgment. I hope we find a way to deal these expensive fools and rebuild fully (hell even 1-2 gone would be nice) but definitely won't hold my breath.

Exactly what they were looking for.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 05:19 AM)
A.J. Hinch similarly launched himself from the high dive when he was named to manage the Diamondbacks, and the move quickly cost Josh Byrnes his job as general manager. Hinch, like Ventura, was an intelligent former player with no managerial experience.

There have been a lot of different paths taken to the manager's office, and managerial experience hasn't always proven necessary.

Gil Hodges went directly from playing to managing, and he was one of the best managers in the last 50 years (to the chagrin of the 1969 Cubs). Eddie Stanky left the Giants after 1952 to be a player-manager for the Cardinals and went 88-66 in the first of his three-plus seasons. (He later managed the Sox for two-plus seasons, finishing above .500 in 1966-67.)

Jerry Coleman and Larry Dierker prepped for their managerial careers as broadcasters. Trey Hillman had managed in Japan, but before taking over the Royals was last in a big-league clubhouse when he was a locker-room attendant. Bob Brenly had coached but never managed at any level before getting a chance, and his Diamondbacks won a World Series.

If there ever has been a hire as out of left field as Ventura, it was a desperation move by the old Washington Senators. Ted Williams had been out of baseball eight seasons, doing little more than fishing and serving as a part-time instructor for Carl Yastrzemski and lesser Red Sox players, when the Senators hired him to manage. Four years later, he was the owner of a 273-364 record and never again wanted to try that trick.

From Phil Rogers' article....no mention of Connie Mack, Torre or Ted Turner

So, two guys from 50+ years ago and a guy who had experience as a coach.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 05:24 AM)
http://www.google.com.hk/#hl=zh-CN&new...249&bih=473

Larry Dierker

435-348 (.556)

5 years of out 6 finishing in first place, one fourth place finish

That would have been the best argument for hiring Don Cooper as the manager.

Jerry Coleman was a complete disaster with the 1980 Padres and is always going to be known more as a broadcaster.

And, of course, those Astros teams that Dierker managed had a ton of talent (funny how that usually has more to do with a manager's success---see the Trey Hillman disaster in KC, and reading back on how positive/optimistic Joe Posnanski was when the hire was announced, interesting to say the least).

KW has left Robin's cabinet, being optimistic, at best...a glass half full.

So, to summarize, Hodges, Stanky, Larry Dierker, Torre (eventually), Connie Mack and Bob Brenly all succeeded with zero prior managerial experience.

You keep mentioning Brenly even though he was a coach. Dierker is the only one of that group that fits the bill and happened in the last half century.

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 05:42 AM)
We've sat here for years watching Oz make some awful decisions. We are only guessing how Robin will manage, and clearly mostly here have decided he's going to be terrible. But terrible how? Making the same decisions as Oz? I don't believe he will. Of course I am guessing like everyone else. However, I believe his personality will be one of playing it safe. Following the traditional (stats friendly) route. I believe Robin is a follow the book not write the book kind of person. That could be a welcome breath of fresh air on the south side.

I don't think anybody has said that, but that's obviously how it's going to be perceived.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 05:59 AM)
People are really upset that this might signal we're not going "all in" the next few years? Consider me relieved and hopeful that the organization will take a step back and see that there's a need to rebuild. I know I've received some ribbing due to praising the Tigers so much, but there's no reason that they aren't the class of the AL Central the next 2-3 years. I'd rather the Sox hope for Dunn and Rios to rebound instead of trying to cover their mistakes by bringing in other high-priced guys.

That's another good thing about this signing. It should show that they are going to have a few "rebuilding" years.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 09:54 AM)
Exactly what they were looking for.

And if they rebuild with him (besides the obvious albatross, though Peavy is gone after next season luckily), it's exactly what I'm looking for as well.

QUOTE (MAX @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 04:00 AM)
I am not purposefully singling you out. It seems as if half of the forum is basing their opinion on this hire on things they assume they know.

Well, there is very little to go on, but that really would have been the case with any of the hires that were rumored, and they were just that.....rumors.

Dave Martinez seems to be the consensus on the board. We wouldn't know any more about his management style than we would Robin. Everyone wanted him because he was the bench coach for Joe Maddon, considered by many to be the best manager in the league. Well, Maddon put in his time under Scoscia. Scoscia, is considered one the least saber friendly managers in the game, and Maddon is considered one of the biggest saber advocates. The way they manage couldn't be any different. Who is to say Martinez would be anything like Maddon? These guys are all their own people, and it has been said Maddon likes him because he has different opinions.

A lot of people want Francona, but he would come here with a lot less talent than he has in Boston. Lets not forget his very poor run as the manager of the Phillies. He was a controversial hire when Boston brought him in. It worked out well for them, but it may not have here, given the hurdles with this roster.

Does anybody honestly know anything about Alomar and his manager credentials? He is well respected in the game, and that is about all we have to go on.

I really get the reservations, given the lack of experience Robin has, but I don't think it means he can't succeed. There have been stories for as long as he has been playing about his baseball acumen and the wide respect he has garnered.

I think he has a chance to be a good manager. I'm highly suspicious of the motives surrounding this, but I am willing to let it play out. At the very least, we shouldn't be a national laughing stock.