Robin Ventura Named White Sox Manager

Steve9347

QUOTE (shakes @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 10:52 PM)
I have. Have you read some of the things you have written? I get it, it's a weird, and questionable hire, to say the least. But, the hyperbole is out of control. Reasons for doubt are evident, but if this team doesn't improve the product on the field, the manger will be the least of the problem. Robin has zero experience, but a lot of tools to be a good manager. We will have to wait and see, but I am not ready to write him off just yet.

And honest to God, I bet there are fans out there that fit that exact same description. I feel like some of the arguments supporting Ventura are weak, and I wanted to throw some of my own out there to draw the comparison.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 10:35 PM)

I don't even believe a word Cowley writes which he attributes to all his unnamed sources. But in Cowley's eyes, it's OK for Ozzie to whine to JR for an extension while he is still under contract for another year even as his team is underperforming yet again but it's not cool for Cooper to ask the GM about an extension when his contract is about to expire at the end of the season.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 10:55 PM)
And honest to God, I bet there are fans out there that fit that exact same description. I feel like some of the arguments supporting Ventura are weak, and I wanted to throw some of my own out there to draw the comparison.

I think we know how you feel. The arguments supporting may be weak, and I would feel more comfortable with other hires, but it is foolish to assume he is a failure just because he is inexperienced. Just like it would be with other candidates. I'm willing to wait and see and avoid the hyperbole. There is a lot more to be determined about this teams fate before I jump ship. The roster construction is way more important, in my eyes, than the manager for next season.

Amazing column by Cowley.

Wow. Cooper was THAT MUCH of a snake?

Wait til the players read this. Horrible joke of a franchise.

I just knew KW was sucking up and this proves it. And Cooper? The people who have said what a rotten personality he has? This just makes sense he'd look out for No. 1. I LOVE Ozzie's text to Coop. It's Ozzie's way of letting him know bout Judas.

If this is true, Cowley deserves a sports Pulitzer for the scoop.

And to think I today was thinking Coop deserved the job over Ventura.

Coop sounds like he may ruin the clubhouse next year when this story is made public to the players. Nobody likes a backstabber. Nobody!

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (shakes @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 11:10 PM)
I think we know how you feel. The arguments supporting may be weak, and I would feel more comfortable with other hires, but it is foolish to assume he is a failure just because he is inexperienced. Just like it would be with other candidates. I'm willing to wait and see and avoid the hyperbole. There is a lot more to be determined about this teams fate before I jump ship. The roster construction is way more important, in my eyes, than the manager for next season.

I don't believe I said he'd be a failure. He may very well be a great manager down the line, but at this time, he's a bad choice. There were candidates more qualified and better groomed out there. Ventura could have been given a minor league managing position or a bench coach opportunity with the hope of him maybe eventually becoming the manager.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 11:12 PM)

I just knew KW was sucking up and this proves it. And Cooper? The people who have said what a rotten personality he has? This just makes sense he'd look out for No. 1. I LOVE Ozzie's text to Coop. It's Ozzie's way of letting him know bout Judas.

Coop sounds like he may ruin the clubhouse next year when this story is made public to the players. Nobody likes a backstabber. Nobody!

Greg is someones gimmick account right?

Edited by DirtySox

Sweet Jesus Christ. With all of the hate people were spewing towards that article, I knew you'd love it, but those first two sentences are even more golden than I would have expected.

Everybody was killing Cowley. Then this post comes in...

You know, the change of pace is somewhat nice. But we all know Cowley's an absolute joke.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 11:19 PM)
Everybody was killing Cowley. Then this post comes in...

You know, the change of pace is somewhat nice. But we all know Cowley's an absolute joke.

The hilarious part is that he belittles Cooper for "looking out for #1" when that is exactly what Ozzie did.

Edited by Milkman delivers

Well if anything, Greg and Joe Cowley sure know how to bring people together on this board. We have a bunch of level headed people arguing about this situation and then Cowley writes a horrendous article, followed by a joke of a post by Greg and we're back to all agreeing. Thanks guys!

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 10:35 PM)

I think the Cowley hate can get over the top on this board, but that is one of the most embarrassing pieces of journalism I have ever seen. This about wraps up any chances of having access with the coaching staff and front office. I hope being Guillen's b**** was worth it in the end.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 11:23 PM)
I think the Cowley hate can get over the top on this board, but that is one of the most embarrassing pieces of journalism I have ever seen. This about wraps up any chances of having access with the coaching staff and front office. I hope being Guillen's b**** was worth it in the end.

Seriously, if the guy were smart, he'd have backtracked and tried to suck up to the current coaches and players. He's just burning those bridges right down to the ground. Nobody will talk to him. They probably wouldn't have anyway, but this way he'd have a chance.

I think it's time to put down Old Yeller, because this act is getting beyond embarrassing.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 05:17 AM)
Sweet Jesus Christ. With all of the hate people were spewing towards that article, I knew you'd love it, but those first two sentences are even more golden than I would have expected.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 05:18 AM)
Sometimes it's hard to doubt that.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 05:20 AM)
The hilarious part is that he belittles Cooper for "looking out for #1" when that is exactly what Ozzie did.

1.) The article is in a MAJOR NEWSPAPER. The reporter's job is at stake. If article is true and why wouldn't it be, then I am horrified at Coop's smarmyness. BAD!

2.) Milk, a respected poster called you out pretty bad today as well. You are not a perfect poster by any means.

3.) Ozzie did not do what it alleges Coop of doing. Coop is doing a behind the back stabbing. That is SAD. And no ballplayer on the White Sox will respect that kind of behavior. Like I said, Cowley got a MAJOR SCOOP here if it's true. And he should be fired if it's not true, so it's likely true. I LOVE the Oz text to Coop.

LOL, could this be any more obvious to anyone?

“Coop is obviously now the GM, assistant GM, manager and pitching coach the way he’s been acting the last few weeks,” a member of the organization said late last week.

-Ozzie Jr.

A major-league coach outside the organization took it a step further Wednesday, saying the idea of all these rumored candidates floating out there “was complete BS. None of the candidates being mentioned even wanted a job where the pitching coach was going to have more years and maybe even more money than them.”

-Ozzie or Cora (probably Ozzie)

Another Sox source said there was a reason former manager Ozzie Guillen sent Cooper a text on the first of the two days he managed that read, “You finally got what you wanted.” It’s because by the time Guillen finally figured out who the Judas was, it was too late. The wheels were in motion.

-Oney

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 05:27 AM)
I think it's time to put down Old Yeller, because this act is getting beyond embarrassing.

So you think Coop's behavior is warranted and FINE? Or you just dispute what Cowley wrote. Why would a well paid reporter make s*** up? He wouldn't lest he get fired.

I give the article my applause.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 11:29 PM)
1.) The article is in a MAJOR NEWSPAPER. The reporter's job is at stake. If article is true and why wouldn't it be, then I am horrified at Coop's smarmyness. BAD!

2.) Milk, a respected poster called you out pretty bad today as well. You are not a perfect poster by any means.

3.) Ozzie did not do what it alleges Coop of doing. Coop is doing a behind the back stabbing. That is SAD. And no ballplayer on the White Sox will respect that kind of behavior. Like I said, Cowley got a MAJOR SCOOP here if it's true. And he should be fired if it's not true, so it's likely true. I LOVE the Oz text to Coop.

:lol:

And I'm not sure what was "called out pretty bad".

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 11:29 PM)

Your entire schtick has got to be an act. Because If it isn't this is a cry for help.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 05:25 AM)
Seriously, if the guy were smart, he'd have backtracked and tried to suck up to the current coaches and players. He's just burning those bridges right down to the ground. Nobody will talk to him. They probably wouldn't have anyway, but this way he'd have a chance.

Some people don't like to suck up.

Personally I don't like to suck up at work. Prolly why I'm not on the path to being rich, yet.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 05:34 AM)
Your entire schtick has got to be an act. Because If it isn't this is a cry for help.

It seems your guys' premise is the article is false.

Let's say it is true, one written by Pete Gammons.

Would you be alarmed at all by Coop's behavior? Cmon I was born on the southside of Chicago. Guys like Coop get punched in the face ... a lot (if story is true).

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 11:30 PM)
So you think Coop's behavior is warranted and FINE? Or you just dispute what Cowley wrote. Why would a well paid reporter make s*** up? He wouldn't lest he get fired.

I give the article my applause.

Here is the previous suntimes special reporter and a few of his opinions on the subject. I assume you applaud these as well.

http://www.aolnews.com/2010/03/23/ill-say-...o-fire-guillen/

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/ind...ic=38362.0;wap2

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/ind...ic=32019.0;wap2