2012 Films Thread

knightni

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 05:39 PM)
I liked Captain America.

I actually liked it better than Thor. (if nothing else, the scientist-characters in Thor were really poorly done stereotypes, and I think I'm allowed to focus on disliking that).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 04:54 PM)
I actually liked it better than Thor. (if nothing else, the scientist-characters in Thor were really poorly done stereotypes, and I think I'm allowed to focus on disliking that).

Natalie Portman was a waste of film time, and her professor was absolutely a poorly made stereotype. Everything Asgard and Thor was awesome, everything else was awful to me. Well, except for S.H.I.E.L.D.

I can't decide if I want to see avengers yet or not. I don't really like the comic book movies all that much. I did like Iron Man and thought Thor was ok. Didn't really enjoy Captain America and didn't see Hulk.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 05:54 PM)

Speaking as a well done scientist-character stereotype?

:-)

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 06:31 PM)
I can't decide if I want to see avengers yet or not. I don't really like the comic book movies all that much. I did like Iron Man and thought Thor was ok. Didn't really enjoy Captain America and didn't see Hulk.

This summer is gonna suck for you

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 06:50 PM)
Yep. I may be the only person in America that doesn't really care for the Batman movies.

Nah, a guy I worked with absolutely hates Bale because of his slight lisp. I never even noticed it until it was pointed out to me.

Avengers, TDKR, and Spiderman this summer. And movies in that vein like Prometheus and Total Recall are also coming out in the next two months

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 06:59 PM)
I just never bought into the whole darker side of things. I like my comic book movies to be a little silly. I mean it's about a billionaire who dresses up in a costume and fights crime.

Not all comics are silly, despite the premise. People were getting sick of the 60's batman tv show presentation, they wanted to see the Frank Miller graphic novel adaptation. And that's how we ended up with Nolan.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 06:54 PM)
Nah, a guy I worked with absolutely hates Bale because of his slight lisp. I never even noticed it until it was pointed out to me.

Avengers, TDKR, and Spiderman this summer. And movies in that vein like Prometheus and Total Recall are also coming out in the next two months

This looks like a good one. The trailer reminds me of the first Alien.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 12:25 PM)
But Tony Stark isnt even close to being developed yet from a comic standpoint. there is so much yet to happen in his character, his disagreements with allies like Cap and Thor seem to be woven into the Avengers, but there is a lot more coming. His alcoholism, health(nanotechnology), fights with the government, war machine. Iron Man 2 was decent, but it was fluff. it was a small bridge to the Avengers.

You dont like the Hulk, so its hard for me to argue his worth on screen with you. Some characters dont come off as well to others, i get that.

I dont understand the disdain for Captain America, I had a Indiana Jones-esque feeling throughout the entire movie, i loved the pace and the growth of his character.

I think part of the problem with Ironman 2 is that they actually tried to cram in too many of the plot lines you talked about, and so it came off that none of them, especially the villain, were really dealt with in depth.

QUOTE (mumbles3k @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 11:06 PM)
This morning I watched Robert Altman's masterpiece, THE PLAYER. Truly one of the greatest movies ever made. Satire at its finest.

Alright, I've IMDB'd it so I'll bite... give me more of a reason to watch this. Seems intriguing but like something I'll forget about and maybe watch on a Sunday afternoon in a few months. What was so good about it?

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 11:37 PM)
Alright, I've IMDB'd it so I'll bite... give me more of a reason to watch this. Seems intriguing but like something I'll forget about and maybe watch on a Sunday afternoon in a few months. What was so good about it?

Basically, the movie has this perfect crystalline structure which makes it a satire of itself. It's all about how the studios treat movies as a business instead of an art.

It explicitly states the elements which are needed in order for a movie to succeed (things like sex, violence, big stars, happy endings, etc.) The movie itself has all of those things, but not in a way that you'd expect or want. For example, the sex is all done in closeups of faces, and all of the biggest stars in the movie are essentially background extras.

It totally works as just an enjoyable Columbo-esque mystery/comedy. But by the end of the movie, it curls up into itself and becomes something so much more.

It's a movie that works on pretty much any level you'd want it to. It can be just disposable entertainment on a Sunday afternoon. But you can also peel back the layers to find a really hard-hitting commentary on the art form underneath.

Eddie Murphy in Tower Heist does classic Eddie Murphy. He's the best thing going in that movie, although I've also enjoyed watching Alan Alda transition into playing a great asshole as he's aged. Between this movie and The Aviator, he's come a long way from Hawkeye Pierce.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 09:28 AM)
Eddie Murphy in Tower Heist does classic Eddie Murphy. He's the best thing going in that movie, although I've also enjoyed watching Alan Alda transition into playing a great asshole as he's aged. Between this movie and The Aviator, he's come a long way from Hawkeye Pierce.

I enjoyed Alda's character in Flirting With Disaster.