2012 Films Thread

knightni

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 12:09 AM)
With 50/50, you'll actually be pleasantly surprised.

Seth Rogen isn't half as annoying as he normally is, largely because he's a supporting actor.

Both a totally realistic and "feel good" story at the same time that doesn't feel completely contrived...at least not as much as most Hollywood fare these days.

Bryce Dallas Howard does a great job of making you dislike her, which means she hit her mark well.

You pretty much nailed it. It was really, really good.

I've always liked Seth Rogan for the most part and JGL is awesome. I might pick up Hesher sometime soon just because he's in it.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 12:09 AM)
With 50/50, you'll actually be pleasantly surprised.

Seth Rogen isn't half as annoying as he normally is, largely because he's a supporting actor.

Both a totally realistic and "feel good" story at the same time that doesn't feel completely contrived...at least not as much as most Hollywood fare these days.

Bryce Dallas Howard does a great job of making you dislike her, which means she hit her mark well.

Its not contrived because it is based on what happened with Seth and his best friend that wrote the movie(will reiser). It is a true story

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 05:03 PM)

I've always liked Seth Rogan for the most part and JGL is awesome. I might pick up Hesher sometime soon just because he's in it.

Watched it yesterday.

Very, very good. Just the right amount of Seth Rogan.

Yet the biggest Sparks cliché is found in his interpretation of a leading man. They must be manly yet sensitive, harbour a dark secret, scarred by a tour of duty, able to rebuild a rundown home and hold a special talent, like say…play the piano.

It is romance fiction nonsense that women love, and Zac Efron plays it well. But he also does a great job infusing some humanity into the fantasy. Efron is quickly becoming the romantic leading man of his generation, and his performance in The Lucky One is an example of why.

That Efron also shares an easy chemistry with Schilling helps sell this love story. Plenty of deep, passionate smooches feature throughout, but they would mean nothing if Hicks didn’t let the love story blossom and characters evolve, silly attributes and all.

It’s hard to say what The Lucky One would have been like under a different director, yet under Hick’s it’s the best possible film a Nicholas Sparks novel could be.

I thought this review about an upcoming April 20th movie (THE LUCKY ONE) was quite hilarious. Besides the HSM series, pretty sure all of his movies have been busts. Well, I guess Hairspray did well, but that was more of an ensemble cast. And I suppose 17 AGAIN was okay, but that was mostly due to Thomas Lennon and Matthew Perry.

I'm sure all the wives/girlfriends will be dragging you to it, so be prepared.

It's either that or the FIVE-YEAR ENGAGEMENT the following week with Jason Segel and Emily Blunt.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 10:03 AM)

Hesher is VERY intense.

It's one of the most outlandish movie characters that you will ever come across, yet it's somehow impossible not to watch.

JGL lets it all hang out in this one, you watch a movie like 500 Days of Summer back to back and it's like WHAT? Obviously a very versatile actor, capable of great things if utilized properly. He might not have the stereotypical good looks of a Facebook-generation leading man, but he's always interesting to watch.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 11, 2012 -> 10:15 PM)
CABIN IN THE WOODS is getting great reviews. Not a horror guy but maybe hard to ignore.

Co-written by Joss Whedon and given the Edgar Wright stamp of approval. I am also not a horror guy but will be seeing this.

My only worry about Cabin in the Woods is that it has been sitting on the shelf since 2009. If a movie is good, they usually dont wait 2 1/2 years to release it. The production company went into bankruptcy, but it has been delayed like 3 times since that was resolved

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 05:36 AM)
My only worry about Cabin in the Woods is that it has been sitting on the shelf since 2009. If a movie is good, they usually dont wait 2 1/2 years to release it. The production company went into bankruptcy, but it has been delayed like 3 times since that was resolved

A couple of the horror movie websites I go to gave it insanely good reviews. Like 10/10.

I really don't know what it's about, but I think that might a good thing with this movie.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 05:36 AM)

Maybe because the presence of Thor/Chris Hemsworth in it makes the movie a bit more marketable.

Most of the cast is no-name, but that hasn't stopped any of the highest-grossing horror movies in the last 5 years at all.

http://www.boxofficemagazine.com/reviews/2...e-three-stooges

Three stooges actually gets a very positive review.

If Cabin In the Woods isn't your taste, this one's supposed to be even better (just not sure where it's showing)

http://www.miami.com/039kill-list039-unrated-article-0

Edited by caulfield12

If you're on the fence about CABIN IN THE WOODS because it's been sitting on the shelf, or because it looks like a dumb formulaic horror movie, just go and see it, like right now.

I know that the whole MGM fiasco was a big part of its delay, but if there were other reasons too, I can only imagine that they were because the studio didn't know what to do with it. It's very uniquely awesome, and it's impossible to convey how awesome it is without spoiling the movie.

Also, if you've come this far and still don't know anything about the movie, good. Don't watch any trailers or read any reviews. Just see it as soon as you can before someone spoils it.

Caught The Hunger Games. B+ effort. The shaky cam stuff got old really quick, so I'm glad Gary Ross is not doing the last two. In fact, my biggest gripe was that the final fight scene was totally screwed up by the shaky cam. You couldn't tell where anyone was or what they were doing or how they got in the position they were in.

And kudos to Woody Harrelson. He was actually pretty decent in this.

Who wants to play Battleship?

One of the flimsiest game/source material/action figure connections ever made, trumping GI Joe and Transformers.

So far, the movie has performed well overseas, coming out May 17th stateside. It's becoming known as one of the loudest movies ever made. Interesting cast, with the Rihanna supposedly holding her own, Brooklyn Decker (yes, last seen in an Adam Sandler movie wearing, who guessed it, a bikini?) and Taylor Kitsch, who went from FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS to two of the biggest and most controversial movies of the year, Battleship and John Carter.

Interesting directing choice in Michael Bay...err, Peter Berg (yeah, the same guy who used to be on Chicago Hope as a doctor) and has gone on to a surprising directorial career.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 16, 2012 -> 06:57 PM)
Who wants to play Battleship?

One of the flimsiest game/source material/action figure connections ever made, trumping GI Joe and Transformers.

So far, the movie has performed well overseas, coming out May 17th stateside. It's becoming known as one of the loudest movies ever made. Interesting cast, with the Rihanna supposedly holding her own, Brooklyn Decker (yes, last seen in an Adam Sandler movie wearing, who guessed it, a bikini?) and Taylor Kitsch, who went from FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS to two of the biggest and most controversial movies of the year, Battleship and John Carter.

Interesting directing choice in Michael Bay...err, Peter Berg (yeah, the same guy who used to be on Chicago Hope as a doctor) and has gone on to a surprising directorial career.

Isn't Liam Neeson in that too? He is the only real actor in that bunch.

Yeah, I think he plays the admiral or commander of the Western Fleet or something like that...and of course his daughter's an SI Swimsuit Cover Girl

BATTLESHIP is pretty good, well, it's 100% predictable....but, unlike Michael Bay movies, you actually have SOME character development and at least care A LITTLE BIT about what happens to the various characters over the course of the film.

It's the typical summer action movie, except it's the middle of April (kind of like when Iron Man 2 came out in 2010 to kick off the season early).

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 16, 2012 -> 04:20 PM)
Caught The Hunger Games. B+ effort. The shaky cam stuff got old really quick, so I'm glad Gary Ross is not doing the last two. In fact, my biggest gripe was that the final fight scene was totally screwed up by the shaky cam. You couldn't tell where anyone was or what they were doing or how they got in the position they were in.

And kudos to Woody Harrelson. He was actually pretty decent in this.

I felt the same way...between the shaky cam, the too close-up look of everyone/everything and the out of focus then in focus.....ugh. I still enjoyed the movie just didn't need any of that. My wife gets motion sickness easily and I really don't but it bothered both of us.

Finally saw The Hunger Games this weekend. I thought it was well done and followed the book pretty well. There were a few things left out that seemed like they were important in Catching Fire, so we'll see how they handle that in the movie. One thing was the tighter connection between Katniss and District 11. They touched on that a bit, but the bread being sent by District 11 I thought was pretty important.

And I agree about Woody Harrelson. He did a good job, and now as I'm reading Catching Fire I see him whenever Haymitch is in the scene.