2012 Films Thread

knightni

QUOTE (SnB @ Mar 27, 2012 -> 10:46 AM)
That's where I'm at with it. It was a good interpretation of the book, but it was lacking a ton of depth. I guess that's the case for most "book" movies, but it seemed to really just skim the surface of the story and emotions.

I agree, but I think the length of the movie kind of forced that. It was already 2:30 hours long, there was only so much you could add without it becoming too long.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Mar 27, 2012 -> 07:54 AM)
I watched Drive yesterday, thought it was really good. The soundtrack and the font of the title sequences gave it an odd feel, though.

EDIT: It seemed to be over pretty quickly, which was a good and bad thing. It didn't drag at all, but it felt like it could have been more enjoyable if it were longer. I have to agree that Albert Brooks was awesome and seems to have been snubbed for an Oscar nomination. His character was a lot more complex than he seemed in the trailers.

I just saw it a couple days ago as well. I thought it was OK, but the soundtrack and the opening credits gave it too much of an 80s feel. It was very strange and seemed to be too dominant.

I could see it being much better as a book because it's probably better not to actually see 'Driver.' Reading about him constantly being referred to as Driver would add to the mystery of him. I thought he was more of a characteristic personified than an actual person and weird things like that work better written.

A Good Day to Die Hard:

Sources at FOX Studio's indicated that Patrick Stewart is under strong consideration for the film's main villain, a disgraced Russian general who plots the assassination of the visiting U.S. President.

Balta, that sounds awesome.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 27, 2012 -> 02:59 PM)
I just saw it a couple days ago as well. I thought it was OK, but the soundtrack and the opening credits gave it too much of an 80s feel. It was very strange and seemed to be too dominant.

I could see it being much better as a book because it's probably better not to actually see 'Driver.' Reading about him constantly being referred to as Driver would add to the mystery of him. I thought he was more of a characteristic personified than an actual person and weird things like that work better written.

What do you mean?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Mar 27, 2012 -> 04:30 PM)
What do you mean?

I don't like to really notice the soundtrack. You were forced to pay attention to the soundtrack. I'm sure that was intentional, but I didn't like that aspect.

Saw The Hunger Games tonight. Went in with low expectations, not having read the book, and with just basic knowledge of the premise. I liked it, didn't love it. It was slow and boring at times. Good movie, but that's about it.

Oh, and Jennifer Lawrence is very attractive.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Mar 27, 2012 -> 10:53 PM)
Saw The Hunger Games tonight. Went in with low expectations, not having read the book, and with just basic knowledge of the premise. I liked it, didn't love it. It was slow and boring at times. Good movie, but that's about it.

Oh, and Jennifer Lawrence is very attractive.

I felt the actual Hunger Games was the most boring part. Everything leading up to it had me hooked.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 27, 2012 -> 06:02 PM)
I thought his accent was wery good.

You're joking, right? He was atrocious trying to sound like a Russian. I actually took Russian in college (don't ask), and we discussed at one point some films with Russian players in it... Red October was pointed out as having a lot of well-done work in terms of casting Russian actors, and training other actors to sound Russian... except Connery, who just sounded like... Connery. He was awful.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 11:13 AM)
You're joking, right? He was atrocious trying to sound like a Russian. I actually took Russian in college (don't ask), and we discussed at one point some films with Russian players in it... Red October was pointed out as having a lot of well-done work in terms of casting Russian actors, and training other actors to sound Russian... except Connery, who just sounded like... Connery. He was awful.

Read exactly what I wrote down to the letter.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 09:13 AM)

Worse than Borat, Minnie Driver and Sigourney Weaver? Nicole Kidman?

They've all been in movies where their fake Russian left a lot to be desired.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 12:05 PM)
Worse than Borat, Minnie Driver and Sigourney Weaver? Nicole Kidman?

They've all been in movies where their fake Russian left a lot to be desired.

Heartbreakers? Come on, that was intentional

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 07:47 AM)
I felt the actual Hunger Games was the most boring part. Everything leading up to it had me hooked.

I was the opposite. I actually turned to my friend at one point and said "when do the f***ing games start?"

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 03:25 PM)
dur.

I assume you've watched bonus stuff on the blu-ray or DVD of the latest Star Trek movie? If not, do so. The actor who plays Chekov talks about that.

And it was a great little scene when they forced him to do it in the movie.

I saw The Hunger Games. I think it's the best movie of the year so far. And no, I'm not a teenage girl (although I have already purchased my tickets for Titanic).

I also saw The Raid: Redemption. I thought it was pretty good, but was hoping for more, considering all the hype.

I'm watching Wrath of the Titans tonight. Wish me luck!

QUOTE (mumbles3k @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 07:08 PM)
I saw The Hunger Games. I think it's the best movie of the year so far. And no, I'm not a teenage girl (although I have already purchased my tickets for Titanic).

It was entertaining, but best movie of the year so far? Wow.

Well, what else has there been this year? There's Haywire, and then there's, um...

Well there's Haywire. And as much as I love Haywire, The Hunger Games was better.

Do I think it will be the best movie of the entire year? With Dark Knight Rises, Prometheus, and The Master yet to come, it better not be.