2012 Films Thread

knightni

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 24, 2012 -> 05:44 PM)
She's got a weird face.

I think she is pretty, but to each their own, I guess. I know she isn't the supermodel type that a lot of guys on here get. ;)

I used to go to Fark all the time back in the day, this gif used to make me laugh everytime.

sharp-knees.jpg

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 24, 2012 -> 05:47 PM)
I think she is pretty, but to each their own, I guess. I know she isn't the supermodel type that a lot of guys on here get. ;)

I'm not saying that she is some fugly woman that I wouldn't let near me. It's just personally there's nothing about her that makes her especially attractive to me.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 24, 2012 -> 07:10 PM)
I'm not saying that she is some fugly woman that I wouldn't let near me. It's just personally there's nothing about her that makes her especially attractive to me.

Yeah that.

Opening Day

March 24, 2012 07:57 AM

by Phil Contrino

Forget Twilight. The Hunger Games is shaping up to be the next Harry Potter.

With $68.25 million in the bank on Friday, The Hunger Games should end up with a debut haul that exceeds $140 million. That will easily be the best March opening of all time—Alice in Wonderland holds the record for now with $116 million. A $142 million debut would also rank The Hunger Games in fifth place on the all-time openings list, and it would mark the best non-sequel opening of all time. The sci-fi flick already holds the best non-sequel opening day of all time.

Word-of-mouth is very promising thanks to a 95% approval rating from more than 35,000 Flixster users. Expect strong holds—at least by blockbuster standards—in the weeks to come.

John Young, ew.com

When Katniss woke up, the other side of the bed was cold covered with money. The dystopian action film The Hunger Games posted the fifth-best opening day ever with a staggering $68.3 million (including $19.7 million from midnight showings).

That’s by far the best opening day ever for a non-sequel. In fact, the next non-sequel in the opening-day record book sits all the way down in 18th place — 2010′s Alice in Wonderland with $40.8 million. The Hunger Games has started off stronger than such blockbusters as The Dark Knight, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows — Part 1. However, the four films it fell short of are Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows — Part 2 ($91.1 million) and the three Twilight sequels.

The PG-13 film, starring Jennifer Lawrence (Winter’s Bone) and directed by Gary Ross (Pleasantville), scored a solid “A” rating from CinemaScore audiences. The movie was evenly split between those under age 25 (who gave the film an “A+” grade) and those 25 years old and up (who were slightly less enthusiastic with an “A-” grade). Women made up 61 percent of the audience. By comparison, The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn — Part 1 drew a crowd that was 80 percent female, so it’s clear that the more action-heavy The Hunger Games is doing a better job at attracting men.

Where does The Hunger Games go from here? I initially predicted a weekend tally of $130 million, but the movie now seems headed for at least $140 million. It will easily top Alice in Wonderland‘s $116.1 million weekend to land the biggest opening ever for a non-sequel. But the real target is The Twilight Saga: New Moon, which represents the vampire series’ best debut so far with $142.8 million. In just one day, The Hunger Games has already nearly equaled what the first Twilight movie earned in an entire weekend ($69.6 million). However, if Katniss can muster a more impressive opening weekend than all of the Twilight entries – well, that’d make for one stunning entrance.

Maybe it's better to read the book afterwards.

Everything in the movie seems a bit stale and repetitive if you've already read the books.

It's always better to use your own imagination when reading the book...if you see the movie, it's hard not to imagine Jennifer Lawrence, Stanley Tucci, Elizabeth Banks and Lenny Kravitz in those roles. I know that kind of goes against the idea of reading the book 2nd, but it would definitely have made the movie a lot more interesting if I didn't know exactly what was going to happen in advance, particularly the ending (and I suppose that's true for any book adapted into a movie).

For example, the girl from District 11 is played by a young African-American girl. Even if it's subtle, it changes the perceptions based on the choice of actors for certain parts. Once again, there's this "Magic Negro" element, where the black person brings companionship and insight and perhaps makes the hero look better in the process. Maybe everything is too politicized these days, and politically correct. Or maybe it's because having Zoe Saldana in the co-hero role in Avatar was refreshing, but again, the Na'vi people were essentially saved in the end by the white guy. Earlier in the movie, there's a "news highlight/footage" reel and one of the most brutal killers, I think the one who used a brick as his weapon, is African-American, too. Maybe it's because of this whole Treyvon Martin thing that's causing me to look harder for something that's not there, at least not intentionally.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 25, 2012 -> 12:36 AM)
Maybe it's better to read the book afterwards.

Everything in the movie seems a bit stale and repetitive if you've already read the books.

It's always better to use your own imagination when reading the book...if you see the movie, it's hard not to imagine Jennifer Lawrence, Stanley Tucci, Elizabeth Banks and Lenny Kravitz in those roles. I know that kind of goes against the idea of reading the book 2nd, but it would definitely have made the movie a lot more interesting if I didn't know exactly what was going to happen in advance, particularly the ending (and I suppose that's true for any book adapted into a movie).

For example, the girl from District 11 is played by a young African-American girl. Even if it's subtle, it changes the perceptions based on the choice of actors for certain parts. Once again, there's this "Magic Negro" element, where the black person brings companionship and insight and perhaps makes the hero look better in the process. Maybe everything is too politicized these days, and politically correct. Or maybe it's because having Zoe Saldana in the co-hero role in Avatar was refreshing, but again, the Na'vi people were essentially saved in the end by the white guy. Earlier in the movie, there's a "news highlight/footage" reel and one of the most brutal killers, I think the one who used a brick as his weapon, is African-American, too. Maybe it's because of this whole Treyvon Martin thing that's causing me to look harder for something that's not there, at least not intentionally.

I love you, Caulfield, but you are the king of tangents.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Mar 25, 2012 -> 12:51 AM)
I love you, Caulfield, but you are the king of tangents.

Why does everyone think the 3 most popular movie/book franchises in modern history (Harry Potter, Twilight and now Hunger Games) all were written by women?

Coincidence?

Or the fact that there was a dearth of writing out there that were targeted specifically to appeal to young women, and each of these series has a girl/woman in a leading role, like Bella, like Katniss, like Hermione Granger (granted, Harry Potter is the real star of that series, along with Voldemort). Sex in the City would be another example, The Devil Wears Prada, Confessions of a Shopaholic, Eat Pray Love, and Bridesmaids being a more recent one.

Twilight skewed 80% female, Hunger Games is sitting at 60% (because of the violence/killing aspect probably), which bodes well for it overtaking Twilight.

Other than Nicholas Sparks movies, is it possible for a male to write a story that appeals equally to women?

Is this just a matter of a female taking off with something that's already been done in a slightly different way, a bit of a combination of Orwell's 1984, The Lottery, The Handmaid's Tale and "Most Dangerous Game" and making it her own?

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 24, 2012 -> 03:00 PM)
Jennifer Lawrence isn't attractive.

Yeah, she wasn't too attractive in the movie, but when I looked her up...damn. She's much better looking when blonde.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 25, 2012 -> 01:47 AM)
Oh and I also saw the new Spiderman trailer when I went to see Hunger Games today. Emma Stone actually looks really good with blonde hair. That movie's a must-see for me. :)

Emma Stone always looks really good.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 25, 2012 -> 04:10 AM)
Emma Stone always looks really good.

Emma Stone in "Zombieland" FTW.

I'm more attracted to brunettes with tanned skin though. Never into the pale gingers.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 25, 2012 -> 01:47 AM)
Oh and I also saw the new Spiderman trailer when I went to see Hunger Games today. Emma Stone actually looks really good with blonde hair. That movie's a must-see for me. :)

I'll see it if the reviews are good. I just don't see the need for a reboot so fast.

There was like a 15 second teaser for the last Twilight movie in our showing. I let out a quiet rasberry and got some laughs, a la George Costanza, from the people around me.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 25, 2012 -> 07:32 AM)
I'll see it if the reviews are good. I just don't see the need for a reboot so fast.

There was like a 15 second teaser for the last Twilight movie in our showing. I let out a quiet rasberry and got some laughs, a la George Costanza, from the people around me.

Again, that's the same thing we were all saying about First Class, and that was awesome. I also hope you went out on a high note with that joke.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Mar 25, 2012 -> 08:37 AM)
Again, that's the same thing we were all saying about First Class, and that was awesome. I also hope you went out on a high note with that joke.

Do people label First Class as a reboot? I just assumed it was a prequel. But you are right either way.

Forgot how hot Megan Fox was until I started watching FRIENDS WITH KIDS.

Very entertaining, if a bit "talky" movie. Interesting premise, two best friends decide to have a kid but not do it the traditional way, sharing custody.

Great cast, Jennifer Westfeldt (Kissing Jessica Stein), her real-life husband Jon Hamm, Maya Rudolph, Kristen Wiig and her b/f from Bridesmaids (the Irish dude), Edward Burns, Adam Scott (no, not the golfer, the actor).

Really like this one, not quite sure how to describe it...it's a romantic comedy, but it tends to be a bit more serious and deep than most of those.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 25, 2012 -> 09:00 AM)
Forgot how hot Megan Fox was until I started watching FRIENDS WITH KIDS.

Very entertaining, if a bit "talky" movie. Interesting premise, two best friends decide to have a kid but not do it the traditional way, sharing custody.

Great cast, Jennifer Westfeldt (Kissing Jessica Stein), her real-life husband Jon Hamm, Maya Rudolph, Kristen Wiig and her b/f from Bridesmaids (the Irish dude), Edward Burns, Adam Scott (no, not the golfer, the actor).

Really like this one, not quite sure how to describe it...it's a romantic comedy, but it tends to be a bit more serious and deep than most of those.

I got to see it for free a few weeks ago. Too talky, is a good label. I liked it until the end which felt like it totally sold out.

Also would of liked to have seen more of Hamm and Wiig's characters. They were happy, then next thing we know, they had a kid and hated each other. There was no timeline as to why they grew apart.