2012 Films Thread

knightni

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Mar 23, 2012 -> 12:17 PM)
This morning they said most of the killing was presumed as they are trying to hit every demographic with it.

Going tomorrow to see it.

Bummer, I was hoping it would be bloodier, like Battle Royale was. Going to see it tonight.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 23, 2012 -> 09:07 AM)
I read the first book and i'm half way through the second and I agree, i'm not sure what the appeal is. They're fun reads and entertaining, but they remind me of those condensed stories you'd read in high school literature courses. Not sure how a movie, especially a pg-13 rated movie, has that much appeal.

Don't underestimate the power teenage girls have to make something extremely popular. Just look at Hanna Montana, Justin Bieber, Twilight, etc...

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Mar 23, 2012 -> 01:30 PM)
Don't underestimate the power teenage girls have to make something extremely popular. Just look at Hanna Montana, Justin Bieber, Twilight, etc...

That's what I don't get about this movie. What about this plot draws teenage girls? Just because the main character is a teenage girl? Talk about low standards.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 23, 2012 -> 01:34 PM)
That's what I don't get about this movie. What about this plot draws teenage girls? Just because the main character is a teenage girl? Talk about low standards.

It's probably the "love" triangle that goes on between her and the two other boys

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 23, 2012 -> 01:50 PM)
It's probably the "love" triangle that goes on between her and the two other boys

Yeah, that's it. The story is more "The Running Man" or "Ender's Game" than f***ign Twighlight. It's a cool book you can plow through in hours.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 23, 2012 -> 01:34 PM)

The difference with the Twilight series is that it's trending very well with men/boys, as well.

That 16-34 demographic, but even a lot of men in their 30's and 40's.

The only group it's consistently scoring lower with is men over 50.

So while Twilight and Harry Potter will beat it handily the first weekend, that's the main reason it's expected to put up huge numbers over a longer time frame...and also the fact they strategized to bring it out at a time of year bereft of blockbuster films (although there's some overlap with spring breaks for stome students).

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 23, 2012 -> 01:50 PM)

Yeah, teenage girls love that s***. Even though I felt like that was a tiny bit of the plot when I was reading the books. I barely even noticed it until girls jumped onto the whole Peeta vs. Gale crap.

When watching I felt that to enjoy The Hunger Games you really need to have read the book first, but apparently all my friends with me liked the movie and none of them read it so.... guess I know nothing. I think since the movie stayed so true to the book it wasn't as smooth as Harry Potter movies or I imagine Twilight is but I rather it stay true to the book as best as possible.

21 Jump Street was hilarious. One of the scenes in the movie where the two main characters are on drugs is arguably the funniest scene I have ever seen. And a very unexpected cameo towards the end. I loved it.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Mar 24, 2012 -> 12:12 AM)
When watching I felt that to enjoy The Hunger Games you really need to have read the book first, but apparently all my friends with me liked the movie and none of them read it so.... guess I know nothing. I think since the movie stayed so true to the book it wasn't as smooth as Harry Potter movies or I imagine Twilight is but I rather it stay true to the book as best as possible.

I was actually pretty bored since the movie is literally a graphical representation of the book word for word. I know that might not make any sense, and I'm sure it's just because I so recently read the book, but I was juts hoping it'd end since ever scene in the book was described so well I felt like I'd already seen the movie.

Still, they did a good job. I want to see Jennifer Lawrence's melons.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Mar 24, 2012 -> 01:20 AM)
21 Jump Street was hilarious. One of the scenes in the movie where the two main characters are on drugs is arguably the funniest scene I have ever seen. And a very unexpected cameo towards the end. I loved it.

Yes. Like I said, funniest movie since "The Hangover". Channing Tatum is hilarious.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Mar 24, 2012 -> 07:41 AM)
I hope the surprise cameo isn't Johnny Depp, as I know that's not a surprise at all.

I knew he was having a cameo since they were filming. The way he shows up kind of comes out of nowhere and what happens to him is pretty funny. It's funny that Peter DeLuise shows up with him but nobody remembers him. Also Holly Robinson Peete is near the beginning.

I thought Hunger Games was pretty awesome despite having read the book and knowing exactly what was gonna happen the whole time.

I enjoyed seeing the ridiculousness of the Capitol portrayed visually. Also, Katniss is the narrator in the book, but not in the movie, so seeing more of the behind the scenes stuff in the Capitol was cool, especially the Hunger Games control room.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Mar 24, 2012 -> 01:20 AM)

It's remarkable since the guy who co-wrote it and starred in it isn't funny.

Jonah Hill > Seth Rogen

Saturday Morning Update: Lionsgate reports that The Hunger Games made $68.25 million on Friday. That's the highest non-sequel Friday gross and the 5th highest Friday gross in history. Assuming around $40 million Saturday and $30 million Sunday, it's looking at a $135-140 million landing, higher than even most elevated expectations and hype.

Another way to put it in perspective is that more than 3000 shows around the US are already pre sold out.

A hot topic at ew.com, is Jennifer Lawrence "too sexy" for Kitness and not young and emaciated enough? Was she forecast in that role largely on a similar turn in Winter's Bone and less on the work she's done such as X-Men since?

Finally, 21 Jump Street was very good, it's one of those movies like the police satire with Ferrell and Wahlberg that you expect to be at best so-so and are pleasantly surprised. Casting Channing Tatum against type was pretty brilliant.

Edited by caulfield12