2012 Films Thread

knightni

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 25, 2012 -> 09:03 AM)
I got to see it for free a few weeks ago. Too talky, is a good label. I liked it until the end which felt like it totally sold out.

Also would of liked to have seen more of Hamm and Wiig's characters. They were happy, then next thing we know, they had a kid and hated each other. There was no timeline as to why they grew apart.

I was about at the 1:10/1:15 mark and it took a very dramatic turn into the serious with the ski lodge conversation.

You're right, that relationship is just a bit superfluous and kind of thrown in there to add layering, but there wasn't enough time to show the nuances and changes in their relationship. They go from the hottest couple of the 3 to hating each other and the only thing we're left to put the pieces together with is the fact that having kids is difficult/trying on a marriage. Or that drinking a lot can cause marital problems and numerous tense moments?

At least with the other main relationship in the movie, you see more of the ups and downs, highs and lows.

I having a feeling what direction this one is heading in...hope I'm wrong.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Mar 25, 2012 -> 08:36 AM)
Have you seen X-Men: First Class? I think she makes Rebecca Romijn look like crap in comparison.

I thought Romjin looked amazing as her normal mutated self, and Lawrence looked odd(especially her hair, it looked like a helmet). As a normal person, Lawrence is pretty hot, but even then its hard for me to say Romjin looked like crap.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 25, 2012 -> 09:00 AM)
Forgot how hot Megan Fox was until I started watching FRIENDS WITH KIDS.

Very entertaining, if a bit "talky" movie. Interesting premise, two best friends decide to have a kid but not do it the traditional way, sharing custody.

Great cast, Jennifer Westfeldt (Kissing Jessica Stein), her real-life husband Jon Hamm, Maya Rudolph, Kristen Wiig and her b/f from Bridesmaids (the Irish dude), Edward Burns, Adam Scott (no, not the golfer, the actor).

Really like this one, not quite sure how to describe it...it's a romantic comedy, but it tends to be a bit more serious and deep than most of those.

Westpheldt and Hamm aren't married, they are "life partners"

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 25, 2012 -> 09:22 AM)
I was about at the 1:10/1:15 mark and it took a very dramatic turn into the serious with the ski lodge conversation.

You're right, that relationship is just a bit superfluous and kind of thrown in there to add layering, but there wasn't enough time to show the nuances and changes in their relationship. They go from the hottest couple of the 3 to hating each other and the only thing we're left to put the pieces together with is the fact that having kids is difficult/trying on a marriage. Or that drinking a lot can cause marital problems and numerous tense moments?

At least with the other main relationship in the movie, you see more of the ups and downs, highs and lows.

I having a feeling what direction this one is heading in...hope I'm wrong.

Yeah, with the Hamm/Wiig stuff, I was just left to take it to mean that once you have a kid, you become miserable. Good point about the drinking though. Maybe had something to do with it. That was the only real problem I had with it.

I was also impressed with how Westfeldt wrote the men characters. Pretty realistic. Especially the Chris O'Dowd stuff. I'm assuming she got some help.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 25, 2012 -> 09:45 AM)
Westpheldt and Hamm aren't married, they are "life partners"

Okay, it's all too confusing for me, with Johnny Depp and Vanessa Paradis, Brangelina, common law marriages, etc.

I guess, in the end, that's the point of the movie...that you don't have to be married to someone to have a great relationship, that throwing the label of marriage or conforming to societal expectations ruins the romantic part and just gives you responsibility and bills and arguments and too much of reality.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 25, 2012 -> 09:51 AM)
Okay, it's all too confusing for me, with Johnny Depp and Vanessa Paradis, Brangelina, common law marriages, etc.

I guess, in the end, that's the point of the movie...that you don't have to be married to someone to have a great relationship, that throwing the label of marriage or conforming to societal expectations ruins the romantic part and just gives you responsibility and bills and arguments and too much of reality.

Yeah, their relationship is the inspiration for the movie, and Adam Scott's relationship with his wife and kids is the inspiration for some of the side characters in the movie.

And as for the "conformation and societal expectations" excuse that a lot of the stars throw out there, I call bulls*** on some of it. It gives a lot of them a convenient out of the relationship when they find someone else attractive and they can use the old "we just don't see eye to eye anymore" excuse without having to lawyer up to save their bank accounts.

Depp and Paradis broke up, btw

So American Reunion was f***ing hilarious. As expected, Stiflers steals the show. Eugene Levi, who plays the dad was also hilarious. I would say this has to be the best movie of the whole series.

The only bad part, and I don't really even if I would say it's a "bad" part, is that they brought almost every single character I can think of from the previous movies, and had them all come back full circle. It was really cool to see all that again, but at a certain point it was expected when a certain person would pop back up. But it had to be one of the best comedies I have seen in a while.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 25, 2012 -> 11:11 PM)
So American Reunion was f***ing hilarious. As expected, Stiflers steals the show. Eugene Levi, who plays the dad was also hilarious. I would say this has to be the best movie of the whole series.

The only bad part, and I don't really even if I would say it's a "bad" part, is that they brought almost every single character I can think of from the previous movies, and had them all come back full circle. It was really cool to see all that again, but at a certain point it was expected when a certain person would pop back up. But it had to be one of the best comedies I have seen in a while.

Good to hear. 2 is probably my favorite so if it tops that, I'd be impressed.

I rented the Muppets yesterday, I was very pleased, lots of breaking the 4th wall, tons of cameos, pretty much every muppet you can recall as a kid, lots of musical numbers. Very good job by Segal

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Mar 26, 2012 -> 11:36 AM)
The Hunger Games was OK. I felt like they could've done a little more to pretend that people in the movie other than Katniss actually mattered at all.

It was very superficial with the characters. I was also expecting the love story to be more prominent. It's barely a factor until the final 30-40 minutes. Unsurprisingly generic, predictable story.

FINALLY got a chance to watch Warrior. Holy s*** I love it. One of the most manly movies you could imagine nearly brought me to tears. It's also going to be a motivational tool for me when I work out.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Mar 27, 2012 -> 12:07 AM)
FINALLY got a chance to watch Warrior. Holy s*** I love it. One of the most manly movies you could imagine nearly brought me to tears. It's also going to be a motivational tool for me when I work out.

I agree with this, awesome flick... I read somewhere that Tom Hardy said (Most likely sarcastically) that he got that big simply by doing something like 1000 pushups per day. But we all know it was steroids :)

I watched Drive yesterday, thought it was really good. The soundtrack and the font of the title sequences gave it an odd feel, though.

EDIT: It seemed to be over pretty quickly, which was a good and bad thing. It didn't drag at all, but it felt like it could have been more enjoyable if it were longer. I have to agree that Albert Brooks was awesome and seems to have been snubbed for an Oscar nomination. His character was a lot more complex than he seemed in the trailers.

Edited by Milkman delivers

Young Adult, hard movie to watch, definitely not a feel-good, pick-me-upper, but Charlize Theron can run circles around Cameron Diaz in the acting department and Jason Reitman's a very talented director.

This is no JUNO or UP IN THE AIR, but it's worth checking out.

Patton Oswalt ("BIG FAN") is what keeps this whole movie together somehow, great performance.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 26, 2012 -> 09:09 AM)
I rented the Muppets yesterday, I was very pleased, lots of breaking the 4th wall, tons of cameos, pretty much every muppet you can recall as a kid, lots of musical numbers. Very good job by Segal

Yea, I watched it Sunday at my parents house. My dad is a HUGE Muppets fan (especially the Swedish chef). I agree on all of your points. It was very well done.

My favorite line from the movie was when Amy Adams (oh do I love her) looks at the camera and says "this is going to be a short movie"

Did you watch the blooper reel?

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 26, 2012 -> 11:08 AM)
It was very superficial with the characters. I was also expecting the love story to be more prominent. It's barely a factor until the final 30-40 minutes. Unsurprisingly generic, predictable story.

That's where I'm at with it. It was a good interpretation of the book, but it was lacking a ton of depth. I guess that's the case for most "book" movies, but it seemed to really just skim the surface of the story and emotions.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 27, 2012 -> 08:56 AM)
Yea, I watched it Sunday at my parents house. My dad is a HUGE Muppets fan (especially the Swedish chef). I agree on all of your points. It was very well done.

My favorite line from the movie was when Amy Adams (oh do I love her) looks at the camera and says "this is going to be a short movie"

Did you watch the blooper reel?

No, I got it on Direct tv PPV, and I didnt wait through the credits(dammit). But I did enjoy the cast singing "Meh Nah Meh Nah"

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Mar 27, 2012 -> 12:36 AM)
I agree with this, awesome flick... I read somewhere that Tom Hardy said (Most likely sarcastically) that he got that big simply by doing something like 1000 pushups per day. But we all know it was steroids :)

His traps in the movie are unbelievable.