Official 2012-2013 NCAA Football Thread

Alvarez:

But he also had a few zingers:

On the next coach: "Bret used my game plan to win. The coach I hire will have to understand who we are and how we go about our business."

On whether the program is better now than when he retired after the 2005 season: "It's not worse. It's at least as good."

On Bielema's possible issues with fan criticism at Wisconsin: "In this business, you are going to be criticized."

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 08:52 AM)
Tennessee has not been on the map in recent history, but they are pretty much the #2 all-time program in the SEC behind Alabama. Tennessee-Alabama was always the biggest game of the year in the SEC. Only in the last 20-30 years have Florida and LSU built their programs up to that level. That's why it was such a blow to Tennessee when Lane Kiffin left to go to USC because historically, Tennesse was among the handful of programs that you didn't leave for another college job.

That doesn't mean a thing to a 17-18 year old kid. They're too young to connect Peyton Manning or the 98 title. All they know is a pretty mediocre program that probably rates in the bottom half of the league in their memory.

That's the beauty of the modern era of college football. Everyone gets exposure so you don't need a big name program or some history to get on TV. What you do on the field matters most. What you did 20-30 years ago doesn't mean a whole lot.

Yeah its getting ugly. When talking about the move Bielema supposedly said on Bruce Murray Radio Show (no idea what that is)

"My father always told me its better to play in excellence than excel in mediocrity."

Pretty hilarious coming from a guy who never won a Rose Bowl. In fact Id be shocked if he won more than 5 games against ranked OOC opponents. (Im not even sure if he has won one, the game that is sticking in my mind is when he beat Miami at a bowl game. They may have been low 20s.)

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 02:11 PM)
Yeah its getting ugly. When talking about the move Bielema supposedly said on Bruce Murray Radio Show (no idea what that is)

"My father always told me its better to play in excellence than excel in mediocrity."

Pretty hilarious coming from a guy who never won a Rose Bowl. In fact Id be shocked if he won more than 5 games against ranked OOC opponents. (Im not even sure if he has won one, the game that is sticking in my mind is when he beat Miami at a bowl game. They may have been low 20s.)

But hey, he dominated Illinois and Indiana!!

I hear Paul Rhodes is a serious candidate in Madison, you hear anything about that?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 02:18 PM)
But hey, he dominated Illinois and Indiana!!

I hear Paul Rhodes is a serious candidate in Madison, you hear anything about that?

He did more than dominate Indiana. They threw us on the ground ran over us with nail-covered cleats until there was nothing left. Three years in a row, too!

That doesn't mean a thing to a 17-18 year old kid. They're too young to connect Peyton Manning or the 98 title. All they know is a pretty mediocre program that probably rates in the bottom half of the league in their memory.

That's the beauty of the modern era of college football. Everyone gets exposure so you don't need a big name program or some history to get on TV. What you do on the field matters most. What you did 20-30 years ago doesn't mean a whole lot.

Ancient history won't help you so much in getting back to the top, but it will help you stay there if you can manage to get there, so Tennessee is a much more attractive job than other middle of the pack big conference teams.

I have no clue. The only source I have is connected to Chryst which is why I know he wont be coming to Madison.

That being said, Rhodes is definitely a name that is being mentioned a lot on message boards, along with Al Golden, Mel Tucker and a litany of other guys.

Without any inside information I would say an interesting name is Bob Diaco, ND Defensive Coordinator. He just has a resume so similar to Alvarez, that it seems like theyll be love buddies.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 03:22 PM)
Ancient history won't help you so much in getting back to the top, but it will help you stay there if you can manage to get there, so Tennessee is a much more attractive job than other middle of the pack big conference teams.

Tennessee would be a nice job, but it's not a top 10 job and probably not top 20 either.

I have no clue. The only source I have is connected to Chryst which is why I know he wont be coming to Madison.

That being said, Rhodes is definitely a name that is being mentioned a lot on message boards, along with Al Golden, Mel Tucker and a litany of other guys.

Without any inside information I would say an interesting name is Bob Diaco, ND Defensive Coordinator. He just has a resume so similar to Alvarez, that it seems like theyll be love buddies.

Word in South Bend is that Diaco may pass on opportunities this year because the job he really wants is Iowa and one more awful year by Ferentz may open up that job.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 03:04 PM)
Pellini is throwing his hat in the ring at Tenn. Good luck with that Vols.

Is that a preemptive move so he doesn't get fired? Funny that Tennessee is a place that was bitter that a coach left them. Nebraska would fit in the same mold.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 04:08 PM)
Another coach who was in trouble in the Big10 getting a golden parachute from the SEC. What is going on.

How was Bielema in trouble? I know you don't love the guy but he has three straight Rose Bowl appearances. He wasn't going anywhere unless he decided to anytime soon.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 03:11 PM)
How was Bielema in trouble? I know you don't love the guy but he has three straight Rose Bowl appearances. He wasn't going anywhere unless he decided to anytime soon.

That is not really true at all.

This year he was 7-5. Just because everyone else was disqualified does not mean that he earned a Rose Bowl trip for Wisconsin this year.

Had Wisconsin lost to Nebraska, youd be talking about a team that went 7-6. That is not acceptable with the talent that Wisconsin had this year. You have to remember that he accepted this job before they were going to the Rose Bowl, then asked if he could coach the Rose Bowl. The guy full expected Wisconsin to lose to Nebraska.

Also (and this is just words from other people) he was pretty disliked by the big Wisconsin boosters who he never fit in with.

The only reason Bielema was safe was Alvarez. Even last year Bielema cost Wisconsin, 2 of their 3 losses were directly his fault.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 03:11 PM)

There has actually been some insider info coming out that he was on the hot seat and was possibly being held at fault for his talented staff leaving. I saw it on the OSU and Wisconsin boards today. Who knows if its true.

Sounds like it's a good thing I missed the ESPN Awards Show tonight. Saw on twitter where Te'o has now won the most awards in a season of anyone in CFB history. He's become the defensive version of Tim Tebow. Unreal, he better have thanked the Pitt kicker in his speeches.

Manti Te'o statistics:

Forced Fumbles - 0

Fumbles recovered - not in the top 50 (#73t)

Interceptions - #2t (tied with one other player at 7 int)

Passes Defended - not in the top 50

Sacks - 1.5

Solo Tackles - not in the top 50

Tackles for loss - not in the top 50

Total tackles - not in the top 50

A linebacker on UGa in 2006 had similar, if not better overall stats than Te'o, and he got 2nd team All-SEC.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 09:40 PM)
Sounds like it's a good thing I missed the ESPN Awards Show tonight. Saw on twitter where Te'o has now won the most awards in a season of anyone in CFB history. He's become the defensive version of Tim Tebow. Unreal, he better have thanked the Pitt kicker in his speeches.

Manti Te'o statistics:

Forced Fumbles - 0

Fumbles recovered - not in the top 50 (#73t)

Interceptions - #2t (tied with one other player at 7 int)

Passes Defended - not in the top 50

Sacks - 1.5

Solo Tackles - not in the top 50

Tackles for loss - not in the top 50

Total tackles - not in the top 50

A linebacker on UGa in 2006 had similar, if not better overall stats than Te'o, and he got 2nd team All-SEC.

Amazing what a sob story can do for some. Sorry, its true. There are better players out there this year, but instead, they're loading up Te'o with awards for having a 'very good' but not 'great/fantastic' season.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Dec 7, 2012 -> 04:31 AM)
Amazing what a sob story can do for some. Sorry, its true. There are better players out there this year, but instead, they're loading up Te'o with awards for having a 'very good' but not 'great/fantastic' season.

Jarvis Jones has had a much tougher life than Te'o has, had superior stats, and he seems to be an afterthought in these awards.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 10:32 PM)
Jarvis Jones has had a much tougher life than Te'o has, had superior stats, and he seems to be an afterthought in these awards.

I gave Jarvis Jones a lot of grief for flat out disappearing in a few games this year, but I agree. He went through some seriously rough times, and was an absolute playmaker this year.

I'll never understand all of the hype around an above average season for a LBer.

Dan Patrick has been talking how voters shouldnt hold Manziel being a freshman against him.

Then this week, he shares how he voted and put Te'o over Manziel because he cant get over the "bad" games against Florida and LSU. Funny how he's holding his NCAA debut vs Florida against him. Also funny how he can hold Manziel's bad outing against him but its ok that the greatest LB of all time hasnt hit double digit tackles in over a month.

I guess he's gotta vote how NBC wants him to.