2012 MLB draft talk

DirtySox

Hahn's been scouting more in the past five years, and he went to Tempe on Friday to watch Arizona State shortstop Deven Marrero and pitcher Brady Rodgers, two projected high picks in the June amateur draft.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...9267,full.story

Mod care to split this into a draft thread? If not I'll throw one together tomorrow. Already have one at WSI, but there is little interaction there.

Edited by DirtySox

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before he got hurt, Roache had gone 7-for-17 (.412) with two homers. Even if he can't play again before the draft, he still figures to go in the first round to a team that loves his righthanded power and/or may want to try to save some money on its top pick to spend elsewhere in the draft with the new limitations imposed by the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prosp...12/2613036.html

Los Angeles Times' high school reporter Eric Sondheimer tweeted breaking news Tuesday evening that Harvard-Westlake High (Studio City, Calif.) righthander Lucas Giolito hit 100 mph in a start against El Camino Real High (Woodland Hills, Calif.). A quick text to head coach Matt LaCour confirmed the report and he assured Baseball America that the guns weren't hot.

The top high school prospect for the 2012 draft, there is early speculation that Giolito could be the first high school righthander to be selected first overall. He has everything you can ask for in a prep arm. He stands at 6-foot-6, 230 pounds with broad shoulders and strong legs. He sat in the low to mid 90s last summer, but took a step forward this fall and has been easily reaching the high 90s. He has a low-80s curveball with sharp, downward break and a good changeup with a sink. He has an easy delivery and can lull hitters to sleep with his slow tempo before he explodes toward the plate.

Nobody is keeping an official record of high school players that have hit triple digits with their fastball, and since Pitch FX hasn't come close to reaching down to the high school level, there really isn't any way to have an official reading on anyone. Righthander Colt Griffin—the ninth overall pick of the 2001 draft out of Marshall (Texas) High—is considered to be the first high schooler documented to reach the century mark, something Baseball America reported at the time (subscriber only link. Oklahoma high school righthanders Dylan Bundy and Archie Bradley reportedly hit 100 last spring, but official confirmation is hard to come by.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/...-triple-digits/

Duke's Marcus Stroman put on a show today. Like most college pitchers, he's certainly a White Sox draft candidate.

John Manuel ‏ @johnmanuelba Reply Retweet Favorite · Open

Stroman hits 94 on pitch 102, his 74th strike, then get K No. 17 on pitch 106. Best single-game K effort on #ACC we think is 18

John Manuel ‏ @johnmanuelba Reply Retweet Favorite · Open

Stroman is officially done. 7 IP, 2 H, 0 BB, 17 strikeouts, 76 strikes in his 106 pitches. #Duke leads George Washington 11-0 in 8th #ACC

Edited by DirtySox

Sickels and Matt Garrioch have their first combined mock draft up. This is largely for fun and obviously holds no merit whatsoever this early on.

13) White Sox (Matt): Man, why do I have to do the White Sox? They need help everywhere, from the top to the bottom. While looking at prep players is one way to go, there is more room for failure there. Let's try to avoid more of that. They seem to like college pitchers that are close to the majors more than anything else. A player that is deserving of this spot and fits that role is the aforementioned Marcus Stoman, RHP, Duke.

Stroman is an intriguing pitcher who fits the mold of a White Sox pick. College power arm that needs to refine his third pitch. Was a closer in previous season, but is now starting. Could easily be fast tracked as a reliever and thus should have some use if he doesn't pan out as a starter. At this point in time if they go college arm, I'd prefer Chris Beck who they have going 3 picks later to the A's.

Nathan Rode ‏ @BAHighSchool Reply Retweet Favorite · Open

BREAKING NEWS: RHP Lucas Giolito is out of the season for Harvard-Westlake. Sprained UCL. No surgery needed. 6-10 weeks rehab. #mlbdraft

Retweeted by conorglassey

Jonathan Mayo ‏ @JonathanMayoB3 Reply Retweet Favorite · Open

Giolito's injury ends any thought of a high school RHP going No. 1 overall for the first time in #mlbdraft history @mlbdraft

Jim Callis ‏ @jimcallisBA Reply Retweet Favorite · Open

Doesn't need surgery now, but no guarantee rest/rehab cure him. Future TJ a possibility. @zukows10: How serious is Giolito injury? #mlbdraft

Edited by DirtySox

Robin Ventura has plenty to ponder in his first season as manager of the Chicago White Sox.

But Ventura gave special attention to Harvard-Westlake (Calif.) High School pitcher Lucas Giolito, who was considered as the potential first overall pick in the June draft under he suffered an ulnar collateral ligament sprain in his right arm Tuesday that will sideline him for the remainder of the season.

The Sox have the 13th overall pick, but Ventura doesn’t believe Giolito won’t be available by then.

How would Ventura know? He was a volunteer assistant coach at Arroyo Grande High School last season. The Eagles reached the second round of the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) Southern Section Division II playoffs but were eliminated 1-0 by Harvard-Westlake at North Hollywood.

The winning pitcher was Giolito, who struck out 12.

“He’s as good as advertised,” Ventura said. “He can hit 95 mph, has control and a changeup. He had everything that day. I’d be very careful, just because he’s that good.”

Ventura believes Giolito’s letter of intent to play at UCLA shouldn’t scare pro teams.

“He probably should be the first pick,” Ventura said. “I haven’t seen any players, but he definitely would be in to top three if I’m looking at people.”

For the record, Sox scouting director Doug Laumman was well aware of Giolito’s potential well before his senior year started.

Link

• 2 months later...
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 10, 2012 -> 12:56 PM)
Kevin Goldstein ‏ @Kevin_Goldstein

Big League exec: "This draft is the worst crop of college position players I've seen in my 20+ years of doing this."

That seems to be the consensus. Safe college picks with low upside, and higher upside high schoolers.

When I looked at some of the players the other day, one of the higher prospects is a Stanford third baseman. That would be too Kenny. I need to find out if he played football.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ May 10, 2012 -> 01:02 PM)
That seems to be the consensus. Safe college picks with low upside, and higher upside high schoolers.

When I looked at some of the players the other day, one of the higher prospects is a Stanford third baseman. That would be too Kenny. I need to find out if he played football.

Hooray. My thread is back.

I hope they don't pick Piscotty. Not a big fan. I still hope Stroman falls to 13 as far as college pitchers go.

Sickels/Garrioch's latest mock had the Sox taking Trahan at 13. I don't see it him being a high schooler and all. Not unless the CBA changes has caused Kenny and Jerry to reconsider their approach to the draft. The supplemental mock had them taking Austin Madox which is very much a White Sox pick. I'd link it but I'm at work.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 10, 2012 -> 03:41 PM)
Sickels/Garrioch's latest mock had the Sox taking Trahan at 13. I don't see it him being a high schooler and all. Not unless the CBA changes has caused Kenny and Jerry to reconsider their approach to the draft. The supplemental mock had them taking Austin Madox which is very much a White Sox pick. I'd link it but I'm at work.

HS'ers aren't going to be able to get nearly as big of money as they used to.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 10, 2012 -> 03:42 PM)
HS'ers aren't going to be able to get nearly as big of money as they used to.

I'm aware. It's more so Jerry's aversion to risk. He's stated a few times the greater likelihood of college players to actually contribute at the major league level in some capacity. Look at the last time the Sox have used a 1st round pick on a prep player. Not including the Supplemental round.

If things have changed this year within the organization and they take the BPA regardless of age, great. I'll be stoked.

DJ Davis is a player worth mentioning. Kid has major helium. Probably the fastest player in the draft. Already a great basestealer, he's started to show some power this spring. He will stick in CF despite not having the greatest arm. If the Sox are sincerely considering prep options, he could be in the mix. He seems very much like some of Kenny's recent draft picks. He might be a bit of a reach at 13, but this year's draft is going to be impossible to predict due to the CBA changes.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 10, 2012 -> 04:46 PM)
BA's first mock.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/draft...12/2613371.html

I'd be just fine with Hawkins or Smoral. Still hoping Stroman or Fried fall to the Sox.

Isn't there a great chance that Stroman ends up as a hard-throwing bullpen guy? The White Sox cannot spend another pick on a guy like that. Courtney Hawkins or Fried would be awesome. Stryker Trahan would be very intriguing though.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 11, 2012 -> 09:20 AM)
Isn't there a great chance that Stroman ends up as a hard-throwing bullpen guy? The White Sox cannot spend another pick on a guy like that. Courtney Hawkins or Fried would be awesome. Stryker Trahan would be very intriguing though.

Regarding Stroman, that's what many thought before this year. He's made the transition to starting and has been dominant this year. Some don't like him due to his height. Downward plane and all. His stuff is electric though and he could end up a 1 or a 2 in a rotation. If starting goes to s*** you likely have a shutdown high leverage reliever/closer. He carries some risk of not starting but he has a pretty high ceiling if everything goes well. It might not matter though as he is just about a lock to go top ten according to most.