It must be said - Hawk Harrelson has to go

Steve9347

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 29, 2012 -> 09:51 AM)
Maybe a revolving booth is the way to go. He sounded re-energized when Stone first joined the booth too.

Or - a 3 man booth with him as color man instead of pbp. Hawk does the one rest inning per game. That'd make sense and keep the entertaining Hawk (ie - Hawk when the Sox are on a 6 game winning streak) in the booth.

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 29, 2012 -> 07:51 AM)
Maybe a revolving booth is the way to go. He sounded re-energized when Stone first joined the booth too.

In general, I've always liked Hawk. Once Stone joined the booth something changed. The chemistry between the two is horrible and I just don't like Hawk and Stoney together.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 29, 2012 -> 10:54 AM)
In general, I've always liked Hawk. Once Stone joined the booth something changed. The chemistry between the two is horrible and I just don't like Hawk and Stoney together.

They don't seem to be having any fun together.

Long time Sox fan.

1. Hawk is an old school baseball guy,no doubt. But you know what? Baseball is the oldest sport in this country,and is one sport that is completely timeless, which is why stats are so big...every generation compares with prior generation,and comparable stat analysis is actually valid(cept for PEDs era).

That is why Hawks little antedotes are relevant. Nothing changes in this game...there is nothing really new either.

2. Fans that dislike Hawk have quit listening to him,imo. He has altered his game the last couple of years. With the advent of the strike zone box, he has almost completely quit complaining about strikes and balls...cept when the ump is missing outside the zone box....it is a big improvement on the telecasts,and I am sure that they producers did it with this intent in mind.

Hawk and Stoney have meshed better this year also. Some fans are inventing friction and this notion that Hawk talks over Stoney constantly....not true. Occasionally,sure,but those critics take a man who is on the air probably almost 500 hours a year and nitpick a handful of mistakes or misplays. WTF? Believe it or not, it is hard to be perfect 500 hours a year on national tv.

3. I do think that familiarity breeds contempt. Fans like me that watch virtually every game,either get sick of hearing the catchphrases or,like me, they just let it flow over them,concentrating on the pictures with the familiar rythmn of the backdrop of his normal calls. Sorry, but I still get excited over homers,even in the regular season....some seem to think it is ho-hum. Yesterdays homer by Dunn was huge,and Hawk knew it, the way that moore was pitching. People that know baseball knew that also.

4. Hawk is a homer....I like it. It does not define his whole broadcast,tho. He and Stoney have had some good discussions on air this year on the science and art of the game. Like Dunn hitting off of the catcher...I have never heard that before...guessing pitches off of the guy doing the catching vs the pitcher....good stuff. There have been a number of those kinds of discussions this year,and I have learned something new.

My vote....Hawk and Stoney forever.

QUOTE (Hawk09 @ May 29, 2012 -> 09:09 AM)
Long time Sox fan.

1. Hawk is an old school baseball guy,no doubt. But you know what? Baseball is the oldest sport in this country,and is one sport that is completely timeless, which is why stats are so big...every generation compares with prior generation,and comparable stat analysis is actually valid(cept for PEDs era).

That is why Hawks little antedotes are relevant. Nothing changes in this game...there is nothing really new either.

2. Fans that dislike Hawk have quit listening to him,imo. He has altered his game the last couple of years. With the advent of the strike zone box, he has almost completely quit complaining about strikes and balls...cept when the ump is missing outside the zone box....it is a big improvement on the telecasts,and I am sure that they producers did it with this intent in mind.

Hawk and Stoney have meshed better this year also. Some fans are inventing friction and this notion that Hawk talks over Stoney constantly....not true. Occasionally,sure,but those critics take a man who is on the air probably almost 500 hours a year and nitpick a handful of mistakes or misplays. WTF? Believe it or not, it is hard to be perfect 500 hours a year on national tv.

3. I do think that familiarity breeds contempt. Fans like me that watch virtually every game,either get sick of hearing the catchphrases or,like me, they just let it flow over them,concentrating on the pictures with the familiar rythmn of the backdrop of his normal calls. Sorry, but I still get excited over homers,even in the regular season....some seem to think it is ho-hum. Yesterdays homer by Dunn was huge,and Hawk knew it, the way that moore was pitching. People that know baseball knew that also.

4. Hawk is a homer....I like it. It does not define his whole broadcast,tho. He and Stoney have had some good discussions on air this year on the science and art of the game. Like Dunn hitting off of the catcher...I have never heard that before...guessing pitches off of the guy doing the catching vs the pitcher....good stuff. There have been a number of those kinds of discussions this year,and I have learned something new.

I'd take Hawk, but they need to partner him with someone different.

Hawk09, good post. It's anecdotes, btw.

I like Hawk's catchphrases. But my problem with him is that he goes too far making it about HIM. Punctuating every call with a WOW! or a Mercy! because he knows that will be used on highlight packages. It's not a natural call. It's forced by him to make it about him.

If he just toned down the 60's references and the forced calls, I would still like Harrelson. And I think his chemistry with Stone is ok.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (Hawk09 @ May 29, 2012 -> 11:09 AM)
Long time Sox fan.

I will say some of the expectations are a bit high here. Baseball is a game of dead air. It takes more filler material than any other sport out there. You can't expect to have a detailed and pertinent discussion to be going on every time there isn't live game action going on. The discussion about hitting off of catchers was a fascinating one, and one I am glad I heard. I think those type of talks are way more valuable to a broadcast than rattling off stats. It brings life to the game that numbers just can't. It brings something that the 99.9999% of us who never played the game at a major league level would never know or understand.

One thing I do enjoy about this pair is that you have a hitter and a pitcher to compare stories and approaches instead of two hitters. DJ and Wimpy did a lot of agreeing and repeating, because they were coming from the same stations in baseball. Stone does give a different perspective in that respect.

The downside is they really don't seem to be having fun together. I don't know if Stone is just kind of a dry personality or what, but they don't feed each other well. I won't say they don't like each other, but they just aren't a personality fit, it seems.

QUOTE (11and1 @ May 29, 2012 -> 06:16 PM)
Why not go for the ultimate psycho-delic experience and pair Jimmy Piersall with the Hawk? That's entertainment!

A fight in the booth on the first night. Sure, why not?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 30, 2012 -> 03:56 PM)
Hawk's rant after Q's ejection is reason #3,258 why the guy needs to go. What an embarassment. It's one thing to show passion, but that was just a joke. (Cue the "He's such a true Sox fan" arguments)

Boooooooooooooooooooooo

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 30, 2012 -> 01:56 PM)
Hawk's rant after Q's ejection is reason #3,258 why the guy needs to go. What an embarassment. It's one thing to show passion, but that was just a joke. (Cue the "He's such a true Sox fan" arguments)

To me it is reason #1 of why he needs to stay. That was epically entertaining and well said.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 30, 2012 -> 09:56 PM)

Yeah, even people who don't like Hawk will disagree with this.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 30, 2012 -> 03:56 PM)

While I agree that was a little much...I think it came more from a baseball man than a White Sox fan. In this case, this was frustration over umpiring, not what it did to the Sox...although that was definitely a part of it. Hawk has been coming down harder and harder on umps the last couple of years, ever since that strike zone issue a couple of years ago, not to mention the Joe West feud.

Anyway...that was more of a "action that stains the game" over "how could they do that to MY White Sox." IMHO

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 30, 2012 -> 04:00 PM)
Yeah, even people who don't like Hawk will disagree with this.

That is exactly what the response from any dugout would be (minus the "self-bleeping"). Hawk conveys exactly the words and emotion that you would hear if you were in the dugout.

Additionally, he happened to be correct today. The decision by the umpire today was ridiculous.

Great Sox win today and another enjoyable broadcast to boot!

GO GO WHITE SOX.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 30, 2012 -> 03:57 PM)
To me it is reason #1 of why he needs to stay. That was epically entertaining and well said.

Epically entertaining in that everyone is laughing AT him. I agree with his point, but using the phrase "well said" with any of that nonsense he yelled is laughable.