1/3 of the way through the season

southsider2k5

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 10:40 AM)
Beckham's had so many clutch hits over the last month or so, and people forget just how terrible the 2nd spot was producing before he got going. I can think off the top of my head about 5 games where Beckham had the game winning RBI.

He's been phenomenal in tied game situations. Third highest stats on the team after Konerko and Rios in fact.

Edited by SoxAce

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 03:45 PM)
He's been phenomenal in tied game situations. Second highest stats on the team after Konerko in fact.

He also would have had the game winning RBI if Thornton didn't blow the game against the Tigers and the Friday/Saturday games from this past weekend. Just in the last few weeks, he had game winning RBI in two games vs the Cubs and the game yesterday.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 10:29 AM)
I think when he signed the Sox and all of us expected a .900 or so OPS. Drive in 100 runs. That's about where he's at. When Thome was putting up those numbers for a lot less money, he was hated as an all or nothing guy. Dunn is obviously valuable if he can keep up his current pace. I think coming into this year, just about everyone would have taken an .800 OPS driving in about 75. IMO, it is what makes his performance look better than it really is.

I can't imagine anyone being a more extreme three out come guy than Dunn. This season would have to be historical if it played out to trends.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 10:38 AM)
I am probably going to echo the Hawkeroo here, but it's not just that he is hitting home runs and driving in runs, but he has hit some BIG home runs that have won games for us.

I will say this...just because a guy has put up big numbers his whole career, and then he does it again or exceeds those numbers, I don't believe you grade him as average because there are certain expectations.

If a guy scores 95's on tests his whole academic career, you don't say he should get a "C" because that is what he does every time. A "95" is still an "A," no matter how you slice it.

The Sox hot streak started the second game in Anaheim. Counting that game until now Dunn is

10-56 .179

5 homers

10 rbi

18 walks

37 strikeouts

During the time the White Sox have gone from stepping back a season or two and rebuilding to solid contender, he hasn't done all that well. If you want to give him an A, you probably want everyone to have a trophy.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 03:50 PM)
The Sox hot streak started the second game in Anaheim. Counting that game until now Dunn is

10-56 .179

5 homers

10 rbi

18 walks

37 strikeouts

During the time the White Sox have gone from stepping back a season or two and rebuilding to solid contender, he hasn't done all that well. If you want to give him an A, you probably want everyone to have a trophy.

.378 OBP with meaningful homers (game winner against Matt Moore, momentum turning homer against the Indians, etc) is fine with me

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 10:50 AM)

10-56 .179

5 homers

10 rbi

18 walks

37 strikeouts

That's because so many other guys have been hot...what did he do leading up to that point, DA?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 10:52 AM)
That's because so many other guys have been hot...what did he do leading up to that point, DA?

He was doing fine when the team was around .500. They have been winning with his perfomance dipping, which makes me wonder why Beckham and Viciedo aren't graded higher.

10-56 .179

5 homers

10 rbi

18 walks

37 strikeouts

If it wasn't for Dunn, Chris Sale loses his 15 K game

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 10:59 AM)
He was doing fine when the team was around .500. They have been winning with his perfomance dipping, which makes me wonder why Beckham and Viciedo aren't graded higher.

Doing fine?

Konerko has sucked in the last 6 games, should we lower his grade too?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 11:04 AM)
Doing fine?

Konerko has sucked in the last 6 games, should we lower his grade too?

If it was last season and you had not watched baseball all year, and 54 games in, you see Dunn's current numbers, you'd say they are pretty decent, but could and should be better in some areas. Now when I point that out, that for $15 million or $16 million, whatever he is being paid, more could be expected, you tell me I'm wrong. He's doing decently. He's certainly not carrying the team. I'm sure the Sox want more. I wouldn't give him a grade of an A.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 10:38 AM)
If it was last season and you had not watched baseball all year, and 54 games in, you see Dunn's current numbers, you'd say they are pretty decent, but could and should be better in some areas. Now when I point that out, that for $15 million or $16 million, whatever he is being paid, more could be expected, you tell me I'm wrong. He's doing decently. He's certainly not carrying the team. I'm sure the Sox want more. I wouldn't give him a grade of an A.

No, I'd have said he is doing exactly what I was hoping he would do when we signed him.

Who doesn't want more?

I want every Sox hitter to hit a home run every plate appearance. That doesn't mean that is what my expectations should be.

If you look at his current pace, his career numbers, his WAR numbers through 1/3 of the season, he's on pace to come pretty close to a career year.

That strikes me as being worth an A grade.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 09:44 AM)
Your expectations are insane then...

What the hell does he have to do to get an A?

Meanwhile, Konerko is spending half his at bats trying to serve singles into RF and he gets an A...

Well, it's happened. Someone here has found a way to complain about 2012 Paul Konerko.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 10:47 AM)
Well, it's happened. Someone here has found a way to complain about 2012 Paul Konerko.

For someone who stresses "reading comprehension" so much, perhaps you can learn the meaning of the word "context."

con·text   [kon-tekst]

noun

the parts of a written or spoken statement that precede or follow a specific word or passage, usually influencing its meaning or effect: You have misinterpreted my remark because you took it out of context.

10-56 .179

5 homers

10 rbi

18 walks

37 strikeouts

This is a 14-2 stretch of the last 16 games so it makes the math easy to project Dunns numbers for a season at that level.

OBA= .380+

50 homers

100 rbis

180 walks

370 strikeouts...whoa.

Still, I would give those numbers an A.

My grades: This is based on the Sox being one game back of having the best record in the AL and two games back of bing the best team in MLB. Not so much stats only,but also just a sense of big,clutch performances that have impacted wins.

PK- A+....incredibly consistent season...only funk is this last week.

Dunn- A... as Hawk has said, he has hit some huge homers that won games. Also made everyone better around him.

AJ- A+....very clutch this year, unlike in the past,and very good behind the plate,stopping running game cold.

Rios-B+..also clutch this year,altho power is down...still getting big hits,and playing great right field.

DeAza- A+..clutch hitter, scrappy leadoff, very good on the basepaths,solid in the field,his contribute cannot be overstated

Beckham- B-...defensively he is an A,offensively a C...coming on hitting-wise,but our infield defense is the key to winning

Ramirez- C+...defensively excellent,at the most important position. Hitting very spotty,but 20 rbis shows clutchness.

Morel/Hudson..incomplete.

Tank- B...hitting was horrible in April but amazing the last 3 weeks...defensively better than expected,great arm in left.

Danks- C-...underwhelming,no matter what his salary is...needs to bounce back,hopefully with a healthy arm.

Humber-B-... has had 3 good outings recently,and of course the perfecto gives extra credit...not bad for a #5 starter.

Peavy- A+...Flat out dominant til recently,but still only a couple shaky starts...set the tone early for the staff.

Floyd- C...good April,bad since. Still, eats innings,and was solid early,when they really needed it. Must rebound.

Sale- A+....Awesome. Incredible....the ACE.

Reed- A-...rookie taking the reins as closer? Well done. A couple of hiccups,but everyone has them...keep it going.

Jones- A-..see above...has been very good.

Crain- C+...injury set him back,and not yet in a groove,but will rise,I believe.

Quintana- A...has been very solid in every role.

Ohman- D+...shaky,even vs lefties.

Thornton- C....only slightly more dependable than Ohman.

Stewart- C-...has not done much,maybe one good outing all year...lacks stuff.

Santiago- B-...struggled in closers role ,but settling in lately.

Robin and coaching staff- solid B+....offense woke up and fundamentals great. Robin has made mistakes but that is the nature of the beast. Good clubhouse management,which is huge.

Another 1/3 season stat...

When the Sox score 4 or more runs, they win 80% of the time.

7-3 when they score exactly 4 runs. (70%)

21-4 when they score more than 4 runs. (84%)

So when they score their 5th run, there's an 84% chance they'll win. At least that's what has happened so far.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 11:43 AM)
No, I'd have said he is doing exactly what I was hoping he would do when we signed him.

Who doesn't want more?

I want every Sox hitter to hit a home run every plate appearance. That doesn't mean that is what my expectations should be.

If you look at his current pace, his career numbers, his WAR numbers through 1/3 of the season, he's on pace to come pretty close to a career year.

That strikes me as being worth an A grade.

So in other words he is playing to expectations.

The biggest thing to me about Dunn is he's playing confident. His average had gotten up over .250 and now it is down a bit but it will have an ebb and flow and if he's hitting for power I fully expect him to hit somewhere between .240 & .260 and while I agree there is flaws to that and he's not an overly complete player, there is still massive value in what he does and what he has brought, especially given the fact that he's hit a lot of his homers at the right time (which was a historic knock on Dunn).

I don't know if I could ever say he's an A but I reserve an A but I do think he's nothing worse then a B/B+ (or even an A-). The only A's I have are Konerko, Peavy, and Sale. They are the Sox 3 best players and they (to date) have been 3 of the best players in the majors at their respective positions. I don't expect it to necessarily last as they will have slumps, etc, but they are all fully capable of being amongst the league best and helping this team. Heck, Dunn is performing like one of the best DH's in the AL as well.

Now if you are grading based upon how they performed vs. expectations, then you have a different scale, imo.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 11:04 AM)
So in other words he is playing to expectations.

Yes....but where we disagree is as to how one would grade those expectations...

What does he need to do to earn an A?

Does he have to hit 75 home runs?

His career is basically this slash line: .243/.374/.504

His current slash line is: .222/.376/.545

He's .43 points above his career OPS....and he gets a C?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 12:10 PM)
Yes....but where we disagree is as to how one would grade those expectations...

What does he need to do to earn an A?

Does he have to hit 75 home runs?

His career is basically this slash line: .243/.374/.504

His current slash line is: .222/.376/.545

He's .43 points above his career OPS....and he gets a C?

So create your own scale and have fun. At this point I think you are just arguing for arguments sake.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 11:05 AM)
The biggest thing to me about Dunn is he's playing confident. His average had gotten up over .250 and now it is down a bit but it will have an ebb and flow and if he's hitting for power I fully expect him to hit somewhere between .240 & .260 and while I agree there is flaws to that and he's not an overly complete player, there is still massive value in what he does and what he has brought, especially given the fact that he's hit a lot of his homers at the right time (which was a historic knock on Dunn).

I don't know if I could ever say he's an A but I reserve an A but I do think he's nothing worse then a B/B+ (or even an A-). The only A's I have are Konerko, Peavy, and Sale. They are the Sox 3 best players and they (to date) have been 3 of the best players in the majors at their respective positions. I don't expect it to necessarily last as they will have slumps, etc, but they are all fully capable of being amongst the league best and helping this team. Heck, Dunn is performing like one of the best DH's in the AL as well.

Now if you are grading based upon how they performed vs. expectations, then you have a different scale, imo.

You can't grade based on expectations because it does not allow a player that has great expectations placed on him to exceed a C, unless his name is Paul Konerko and he is carrying an unsustainably high batting average, or he has some kind of a historic season.

I don't know how you couldn't give De Aza an A...he is putting up a slash line of .298/380/.429 and is on pace to score 119 runs, knock in 73 runs, hit 14 home runs, and steal 39 bases at a 76% clip.

He is having an incredible season for a leadoff man.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 11:12 AM)
So create your own scale and have fun. At this point I think you are just arguing for arguments sake.

I am?

You just replied to one sentence of like 8 posts I made on the topic from two hours ago to try and make your "expectations" argument hold up...

Seems to me that's what you're doing...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 10:16 AM)
You can't grade based on expectations because it does not allow a player that has great expectations placed on him to exceed a C, unless his name is Paul Konerko and he is carrying an unsustainably high batting average, or he has some kind of a historic season.

I don't know how you couldn't give De Aza an A...he is putting up a slash line of .298/380/.429 and is on pace to score 119 runs, knock in 73 runs, hit 14 home runs, and steal 39 bases at a 76% clip.

He is having an incredible season for a leadoff man.

I wouldn't argue De Aza as an A. I think of him as a B+ but the dude has been fantastic and I think he can sustain his success. He hits the ball hard.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 12:19 PM)
I am?

You just replied to one sentence of like 8 posts I made on the topic from two hours ago to try and make your "expectations" argument hold up...

Seems to me that's what you're doing...

Right. One reply versus "like 8", and I am the one who is arguing? There is a reason I mostly ignored your posts after I clarified my system.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 11:28 AM)
Right. One reply versus "like 8", and I am the one who is arguing? There is a reason I mostly ignored your posts after I clarified my system.

ss you're just wrong on this issue. and that's why you ignored all the posts that proved it.