AJ Pierzynski is not an All-Star

AJ really ought to be there. I'm not really one who does the whole "vote for anyone and everyone on your team eleventy times" thing, but I would do that if it comes down to 2 or 3 guys vying for the last spot. As nice as it is to watch Dunn hit moonshots at people in the bleachers, I think AJ and Rios are more deserving of his spot.

I would have thought Youkilis got more than enough votes to secure a spot long before he switched Sox (wearing a Red Sox or Yankee jersey adds roughly 75 points to a player's BA).

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 1, 2012 -> 11:34 AM)
He'll be on the final vote ballot again and he'll probably win.

He's been the second best C in the AL this year (next to Mauer), but he's definitely been the best power hitting catcher in baseball.

Um.....No.

Look at what Mauer has actually done as a catcher, not much. In fact, Mauer is a pretty poor catcher.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 1, 2012 -> 07:37 PM)
Gotta love AJ:

"@aandro: Rangers manager Ron Washington said All-Star omission he feels for most is White Sox catcher A.J. Pierzynski."

@scottmerkin: AJ on Washington feeling bad he was left off: "If (Washington) felt that bad he would have put me on the team."

And there, in a nutshell, is why AJ isn't on the team.

The problem is: AJ and Wieters are actually still catchers. Mauer and Napoli are part-timers. I know they qualify as catchers, but both play a lot of 1B and DH. Personally, I think Rios and AJ should have gotten in over Dunn. But I think Dunn is in because of two things, the DH and the Home Run Derby (which I hope he doesn't participate in). Either way, f*** you Ron Washington, you're guys are gonna get a little chin music this week.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 2, 2012 -> 12:47 PM)
Please don't hit Josh Hamilton.

It's probably Marty's plan that we sign him as a free agent after we've traded Viciedo/N.Jones/Mitchell for Greinke.

I'm the one who said we could be Hamilton players at the start of the season thanks to all the money we're clearing.

That was before we saw the kind of year De Aza was having, though.

On Tuesday, Washington was asked about Pierzynski’s reaction.

“I was asked a question [sunday] and I said what I said about A.J. and it came from the heart,” Washington said. “Other than that I don’t really have a comment about it.”

Nor did All-Star starter Mike Napoli. When told that Napoli was a good hitter by a media member, Pierzynski reportedly sniped: “Yeah, if you consider .230 good.”

Napoli declined to comment on the matter Tuesday and on the possibility of catching former teammate C.J. Wilson in the All-Star Game. Wilson irked Napoli this spring by tweeting one of his cell phone numbers in what Wilson called a “prank.”

The truth is that if Pierzynski has a gripe, it’s with his fellow players, who recently voted him the “Most Hated Player” in the majors in an anonymous poll conducted by Men’s Journal. The fans vote, which determines the starters, is largely done on popularity. The players’ vote, which determines backups, is supposed to be based on merit. Baltimore’s Matt Weiters, who began Tuesday hitting .247 with a .333 OBP, won that vote.

To choose a third catcher, Washington had a choice between Pierzynski and Minnesota’s Joe Mauer, but the Twins were without a representative at that point. Washington could chosen another Twins player, Josh Willingham, but the manager’s desire to put Rangers SS Elvis Andrus on the team, eliminated much flexibility on his bench. And Andrus, hitting .307 with a .795 OPS (second-best among AL shortstops) certainly was as deserving of a spot as Pierzynski.

And while we’re at it, let’s just say this: This is a lot of whining about nothing. The chances of the third catcher playing in the All-Star game don’t seem great. I assume Washington will use Napoli for four or five innings and Wieters for the rest. He’ll hold Mauer out in case there is an injury to one of the catchers.

dallasmorningnews.com/sports