2013 Films Thread

cabiness42

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I remember being so bored in the theatre watching The Sixth Sense. I was going thru my film snob stage but caught onto the twist 30 mins in and was tired of all the whispering. Was hoping they would have the kid help more people with his gift.

Guess it was just me.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 09:50 AM)
The bolded... that is something I've never heard. You disliked Unbreakable, but liked The Village?

Sixth Sense and Unbreakable are the only two I really liked. I mostly liked Signs, but I hated the "tell him to swing away. . . " prophesy thing from the dying wife so much that it pretty much ruins the rest of the film for me.

Yeah, Signs got a bit hokey as soon as the aliens actually appeared, but it was 10X better than The Village.

Swing away, that was a ridiculous line that just didn't really fit at that point. It's like he was trying to force a baseball metaphor where it didn't belong.

I saw Lady in the Water and The Last Airbender...bad, bad, bad. And what was the one with Mark Wahlberg, The Happening?

ON THE PLUS SIDE, finally was able to watch Zero Dark Thirty and Lincoln.

I think I'll have to rewatch both again to decide on Best Picture/Director. Definitely, Academy Awards for DDL and Jessica Chastain, who's suddenly become the IT actress of the moment. Sometimes, she reminds me of Kate Blanchette, but with more talent and depth. The first time I remember seeing her was The Tree of Life, yet another movie you have to watch again to fully appreciate.

About to watch THE PERKS of BEING a WALLFLOWER.

And just saw Hobbit in 3D/IMAX and it was so much better than on a regular screen...never a huge Tolkein fan, like many, dutifully went to all the LOTR's movies, was a bit bored by the pace in the beginning but love the conclusion/climax of the series. Hobbit feels the same way.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 5, 2013 -> 01:33 PM)
Sixth Sense and Unbreakable are the only two I really liked. I mostly liked Signs, but I hated the "tell him to swing away. . . " prophesy thing from the dying wife so much that it pretty much ruins the rest of the film for me.

Signs was good for the first 2/3, but once the aliens show up and swing away becomes relevant it loses a bit.

Sixth Sense is one of my all time favorite movies. It's really well done. Unbreakable is good, too, but I think you have to have at least some respect for the comic book style and genre to appreciate it.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Jan 6, 2013 -> 02:29 AM)

Ha, shortest episode of television ever. I may have overreacted with my "terrific" comment but I still stand by the the thought of it being solid.

Edited by Brian

Jeff, Who Lives At Home...it wasn't bad.

I expected more, and if you want a movie about mid-life or early life crises...maybe Steve Carell movies are better, lol.

Seeking A Friend for the End of the World, Dan in Real Life, and Crazy Stupid Love are all "feel down/happy ending" (strange to say, for the first one) that are better in that genre/category.

BTW, I like Jason Segel a lot (especially I Love You, Man! and Forgetting Sarah Marshall especially) but he can get very old in a Jack Black-ish kind of way. Hard to explain. If he has a well-written part, he's great. But he can't make a bad part watchable, like some uber-talented performers.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 6, 2013 -> 09:01 PM)
NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT SAFE FOR WORK

Fans of Troma might like this

This does not have a real Troma feel to it. I like Kaufman, but his films are hardly as smart of a film as John Dies At The End. I have seen it already as I a fan of Don Coscarelli's work. He is the youngest person ever to have a feature length film distributed by a major studio at only 19 teams of age. Some may know his work such as Phantasm, Bubba Ho-Tep, or The Beastmaster.

Edited by qwerty

QUOTE (qwerty @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 04:49 AM)
This does not have a real Troma feel to it. I like Kaufman, but his films are hardly as smart of a film as John Dies At The End. I have seen it already as I a fan of Don Coscarelli's work. He is the youngest person ever to have a feature length film distributed by a major studio at only 19 teams of age. Some may know his work such as Phantasm, Bubba Ho-Tep, or The Beastmaster.

I thought the humor in it seemed like it had a Troma feel to it.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 05:23 AM)
I thought the humor in it seemed like it had a Troma feel to it.

Maybe in a highly watered down fashon there are some similarities. The humor here is a blend of a few others, with a touch of its very own. Either way if you're into a fun ride drenched in surrealism this would rank rather high up there I would think. It should be noted this film is not gonna before everyone.

Kalapse you have my approval, I say give it a go if you have not yet, this is right up your alley.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 06:23 AM)
Maybe in a highly watered down fashon there are some similarities. The humor here is a blend of a few others, with a touch of its very own. Either way if you're into a fun ride drenched in surrealism this would rank rather high up there I would think. It should be noted this film is not gonna before everyone.

Kalapse you have my approval, I say give it a go if you have not yet, this is right up your alley.

I am definitely going to check this out whenever it is available on demand. Bubba Ho Tep and Beastmaster are both movies I enjoyed, Phantasm not as much.

I recently bought a new Smart TV with apps like Netflix and Amazon Instant Video built in. So, after signing up for the free month of Prime and Netflix I've been watching movies that I just never rented. Limitless was pretty enjoyable. I never had a desire to see it, but I was pleasantly surprised. I also watched a half-decent horror movie called The Pact. Oh, and I had re-watch Piranha (the one with Elizabeth Shue and Jerry O-Connell...not the horrible sequel 3DD). That movie is awesome.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 09:03 AM)
I recently bought a new Smart TV with apps like Netflix and Amazon Instant Video built in. So, after signing up for the free month of Prime and Netflix I've been watching movies that I just never rented. Limitless was pretty enjoyable. I never had a desire to see it, but I was pleasantly surprised. I also watched a half-decent horror movie called The Pact. Oh, and I had re-watch Piranha (the one with Elizabeth Shue and Jerry O-Connell...not the horrible sequel 3DD). That movie is awesome.

I enjoyed Limitless as well. I work for a dietary supplement company and our focus/memory enhancement products got a ton more interest. For about a year, that general category of product in the industry exploded. We're now discontinuing some of ours because of how precipitously that interest fell when people found out that we haven't yet created NZT.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 03:53 PM)
I enjoyed Limitless as well. I work for a dietary supplement company and our focus/memory enhancement products got a ton more interest. For about a year, that general category of product in the industry exploded. We're now discontinuing some of ours because of how precipitously that interest fell when people found out that we haven't yet created NZT.

They've already created it, its called Cocaine.