2013 Films Thread

cabiness42

Having just watched Les Miz, there's no way that movie's winning the best picture. I thought Moulin Rouge was 10X better (even Romeo & Juliet)...although part of that's personal preference. Chicago was definitely much better, as well.

The only actor/actress who deserves any awards (from Les Miz) would be Hugh Jackman, who basically carried that picture and kept it from flying off the wheels. Anne Hathaway was also excellent in her limited supporting role, FWIW. Actually, come to think of it, the only actor/actress who kept my attention (besides Hathaway and Jackman) is a new star on the horizon, Samantha Banks, who I had never seen b4 this film.

The more I think it about it, Lincoln absolutely has to win, for a number of reasons.

1) Timing...zero political leadership in the US the last decade from either side

2) The way in which Spielberg/Lincoln deals with the slavery issue...as it morphs from pragmatic politics to fervent ideological belief, the abiding idea of what is right and just, it's essentially the anti politically correct politically correct movie, if that makes ANY sense, lol

3) The Bigelow movie takes so many liberties with the facts, there's just no way to get away from the fictionalized elements, particularly the presentation of torture as one of the principal reasons Bin Laden was discovered.

4) Django is just going to be too controversial/non PC and QT has too many enemies in the Academy for his movie to win

In the same vein, I've watched the first 60% of Silver Linings Playbook and while Cooper and Lawrence are both eminently watchable, there's just no way that movie is one of the five best of the year, overall.

If I could see THE IMPOSSIBLE, though, I have a feeling that movie could slide onto my Top 5 list.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seems "Silver Linings Playbook" is that movie where you either love it or hate it. I loved it but can see both sides. One guy I know compared it to Dirty Dancing with is a joke of an analogy.

I keep wanting to see The Impossible but want to see ZDT first. Probably Tuesday night. Lots of people have said that it is not as great as some people are hyping it but its good.

I haven't really felt the need to see LINCOLN. I may break down and go sometime when I am bored. I don't doubt it is good, but just haven;t felt the need to see it.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 06:23 AM)
Maybe in a highly watered down fashon there are some similarities. The humor here is a blend of a few others, with a touch of its very own. Either way if you're into a fun ride drenched in surrealism this would rank rather high up there I would think. It should be noted this film is not gonna before everyone.

Kalapse you have my approval, I say give it a go if you have not yet, this is right up your alley.

Thank you, I'll be checking it out, no doubt. I've been in a serious movie drought the last few months, this could easily pull me out of my funk.

I went to see Django tonight. It's good. Maybe a bit over the top even for me towards the end, but the first half or so is really awesome. That movie isn't made for the masses though.

I also was intrigued by the trailer for the Tom Cruise movie Oblivion coming in April. I thought it looked awesome. Looking forward to that one.

I thought ZERO DARK THIRTY was really good but somewhat over hyped. The compound assault was extremely well done but the other stuff felt like it was just killing time.

It's hard to judge since its actual events but things happened to conveniently. And I didn't know who the lesser people they were chasing were.

Expected torture scenes to be tougher as well. The people criticizing those scenes obviously didnt see it.

I'd put it behind Argo, Playbook, beasts, and PI in Best pic category.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 01:55 PM)
I thought ZERO DARK THIRTY was really good but somewhat over hyped. The compound assault was extremely well done but the other stuff felt like it was just killing time.

It's hard to judge since its actual events but things happened to conveniently. And I didn't know who the lesser people they were chasing were.

Expected torture scenes to be tougher as well. The people criticizing those scenes obviously didnt see it.

I'd put it behind Argo, Playbook, beasts, and PI in Best pic category.

And the whole dramatic conflict regarding her new female CIA GFF...that wasn't close to the reality of what actually happened and why it happened and the time order/sequence/chronology.

Interesting one loss in the Golden Globes has taken a lot of the luster off Lincoln. Maybe that was their way of poking the Academy for not even nominating Affleck.

Beasts of the Southern Wild, don't feel enough people saw that one...although you could say the same for The Artist or The Hurt Locker in years past.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 06:26 PM)
And the whole dramatic conflict regarding her new female CIA GFF...that wasn't close to the reality of what actually happened and why it happened and the time order/sequence/chronology.

Interesting one loss in the Golden Globes has taken a lot of the luster off Lincoln. Maybe that was their way of poking the Academy for not even nominating Affleck.

Beasts of the Southern Wild, don't feel enough people saw that one...although you could say the same for The Artist or The Hurt Locker in years past.

I really liked The Artist. Not so much The Hurt Locker, but that's not really my genre. The Artist was both up my alley and a real masterpiece. Not many filmmakers can do something so well while not taking themselves super seriously (see Lincoln for a film taking itself seriously)

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 10:38 PM)
I really liked The Artist. Not so much The Hurt Locker, but that's not really my genre. The Artist was both up my alley and a real masterpiece. Not many filmmakers can do something so well while not taking themselves super seriously (see Lincoln for a film taking itself seriously)

I loved The Artist. When you have a time in films where everything is so big and loud, than you see this charming silent movie, you see how much acting is non verbal. Also simple story telling and filmmaking can make a great movie without a cut every 2 seconds and constant camera movement.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 14, 2013 -> 08:23 AM)
Zero Dark Thirty was really, really good and really intense for a movie where you already know the ending!

Gonna watch it tomorrow...on my laptop. :)

Lots of movie screeners have been getting leaked as of late.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 20, 2013 -> 10:42 PM)
Saw Silver Linings Playbook tonight, it was excellent. Interesting premise, but the genius was just in the execution.

Also, Jennifer Lawrence is one hot mama.

I'm with you on both accounts. I don't see what the people who didn't like it saw. Jennifer Lawrence isn't drop dead gorgeous but their is just something about her.

I don't get how you can watch a movie on a computer. I will rent indy flicks on my ipad for my train rides but movies like Django or ZDT, I wanna watch on a big screen.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 21, 2013 -> 05:17 AM)
I'm with you on both accounts. I don't see what the people who didn't like it saw. Jennifer Lawrence isn't drop dead gorgeous but their is just something about her.

I don't get how you can watch a movie on a computer. I will rent indy flicks on my ipad for my train rides but movies like Django or ZDT, I wanna watch on a big screen.

If you have Windows 8 all you have to do is right click on the movie with your xbox on and hit "send to xbox" and it will just start playing on your tv. No set up or anything, its pretty nice for downloaded movies.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 21, 2013 -> 05:17 AM)

My only complaint about the movie would be the sappy ending. But yeah, Jennifer Lawrence was very hot in the movie and everything else I thought was great.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jan 21, 2013 -> 05:50 PM)
My only complaint about the movie would be the sappy ending. But yeah, Jennifer Lawrence was very hot in the movie and everything else I thought was great.

I was debating with someone at work who didnt particularly care for the movie because he doesn't think they should have been cured of their mental illness, and I replied with "How do you know they were cured?" It was never implied and I like that.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 21, 2013 -> 08:04 PM)
I was debating with someone at work who didnt particularly care for the movie because he doesn't think they should have been cured of their mental illness, and I replied with "How do you know they were cured?" It was never implied and I like that.

Yeah I didn't get that at all. They returned to the whole running thing at the end, which at one point signified their respective peaks of delusion. By no means is it indicated that her illness was cured, she just ran out of the building for no reason (well a reason that doesn't merit that reaction). He was acting more lucid for sure, but I didn't get the feeling that it was supposed to be neat and tidy like your friend suggests.

Saw The Impossible today. I'd give it a 6.5 out of 10. A 7 is a solid "recommend" from me so this one is borderline. Mostly good but a couple things annoyed me:

1. The overly Hollywood scenes where everyone just kept barely crossing each others path at the hospital. Seemed extra corny and unnecessary.

2. The over the top score. I think the audience knows a sad/sentimental moment when they see one. No need to make it ridiculously obvious when we're supposed to cry. Less is more.