Desperate times call for...three bold moves

caulfield12

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ May 12, 2013 -> 10:03 PM)
While I appreciate a creative effort to rid the White Sox of Dunn, it just doesn't seem possible. Plus, as many posters have pointed out, trading BJ Upton probably wouldn't bode well with their star Justin. Tieing in the fact that BJ Upton was traded for ADAM DUNN, and the GM probably loses his job.

OKAY. Find someone.

A-Rod

Carl Crawford

Alphonso Soriano but Cubs wouldn't put Dunn in OF, Rizzo set for 1B

Teixeira

Pujols

A-Gonzalez

Brian Roberts

Juan Uribe

Vernon Wells

Michael Young

Jeff Francouer

Dan Uggla

Andre Ethier

Jayson Werth

Ryan Howard

PITCHERS

Papelbon

Marmol

Brandon League

Johan Santana

John Lackey

Barry Zito

Kevin Correia

Ricky Romero

Mark Buehrle

Lincecum

Heath Bell

Jonathan Broxton

CJ Wilson

Josh Beckett

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 12, 2013 -> 10:48 PM)
Lol at ARod being feasible

Well, there's TWO feasibles there.

One is whether the Yankees could feasibly get back the "old" Dunn...

The more important "feasible" is whether the White Sox would agree to take on the A-Rod contract. And that's a bigger NO! than even going to the dramatic lengths of releasing Dunn with $27-28 million left owed to him.

What if you take Dunn out of the equation? In that it is highly unlikely that anyone would take him, why not just focus upon players who could be acquired to fill the role of

middle of the order hitter? Of course, you can guess that my preference would be for a left handed hitter.

Ideally, it would be someone who would be a salary dump and thus not require sacrificing any important pieces from the Sox roster.

So, is there a good left handed hitter who could be acquired by taking on a less than desirable contract?

Ethier is one name that I floated here before. I think the Dodgers would consider giving him away in order to make room for Puig, and to get out of the remaining 5 years of his contract. At 31 Ethier might reasonably be expected to contribute for at least 4 of the remaining 5 years of that contract. Remember, the Sox don't have a single left handed impact bat, that is expected to be on the active roster in the next 3 or 4 years.

Would the Dodgers consider paying a portion of that contract? He is really good vs. RHP.

If the Sox acquired him, I would put him in LF, and let Viciedo DH.

What would I do with Adam Dunn? Who cares? Anything that didn't include his taking the field. I just can't watch him anymore.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ May 13, 2013 -> 06:18 AM)
What if you take Dunn out of the equation? In that it is highly unlikely that anyone would take him, why not just focus upon players who could be acquired to fill the role of

middle of the order hitter? Of course, you can guess that my preference would be for a left handed hitter.

Ideally, it would be someone who would be a salary dump and thus not require sacrificing any important pieces from the Sox roster.

So, is there a good left handed hitter who could be acquired by taking on a less than desirable contract?

Ethier is one name that I floated here before. I think the Dodgers would consider giving him away in order to make room for Puig, and to get out of the remaining 5 years of his contract. At 31 Ethier might reasonably be expected to contribute for at least 4 of the remaining 5 years of that contract. Remember, the Sox don't have a single left handed impact bat, that is expected to be on the active roster in the next 3 or 4 years.

Would the Dodgers consider paying a portion of that contract? He is really good vs. RHP.

What would I do with Adam Dunn? Who cares? Anything that didn't include his taking the field. I just can't watch him anymore.

You don't want to compound your mistake by taking on another bad contract unless we can ZERO out at least half of Dunn's $27 million and get a younger player with a MUCH more higher probability of 1) rebounding and 2) being a part of the team's short-term as well as long-term future.

Or you have to find a team to take Dunn and then get some money back along with the risk of assuming a huge long-term contract.

We managed this quite successfully with the Jim Thome deal, in fact. Thome was coming off an injury/surgery and Ryan Howard needed a place to play.

QUOTE (Lillian @ May 13, 2013 -> 07:18 AM)

That's not a very safe assumption, especially in today's PED-less baseball. Adam Dunn is falling apart at about the same age. I wouldn't be surprised if Ethier's last few years on his contract are awful.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 13, 2013 -> 06:34 AM)
That's not a very safe assumption, especially in today's PED-less baseball. Adam Dunn is falling apart at about the same age. I wouldn't be surprised if Ethier's last few years on his contract are awful.

There are still players who seem to be able to perform in their mid 30's, without PEDs. Is it really unreasonable to expect a guy to hit when he's 32, 33, 34 and 35?

Baseball players are in much better condition than they used to be. Maybe that's part of Dunn's problem. He seems to be the exception to the rule when it comes to a

conditioning program. From everything I read, Dunn does nothing in the off season, and is not an advocate of weight training or aerobics.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ May 13, 2013 -> 08:02 AM)
There are still players who seem to be able to perform in their mid 30's, without PEDs. Is it really unreasonable to expect a guy to hit when he's 32, 33, 34 and 35?

Baseball players are in much better condition than they used to be. Maybe that's part of Dunn's problem. He seems to be the exception to the rule when it comes to a

conditioning program. From everything I read, Dunn does nothing in the off season, and is not an advocate of weight training or aerobics.

As it is, Ethier is allergic to lefthanded pitching. Is it reasonable to assume that he will never figure it out and his contract will be a deadweight merely because he is basically a platoon player?

Methinks so.

QUOTE (Lillian @ May 13, 2013 -> 08:02 AM)

Are you willing to risk $69 million on those expectations? No thanks.

Yes, it's a big contract, and that's why I asked if the Dodgers might pay a portion of it.

Regarding Ethier's inability to hit LHP, at present there aren't many southpaws in our division, but of course that could change.

So, who else fits the description of a left handed, middle of the order hitter, whom a team might want to dump because of his contract?

Edited by Lillian

Ethier's contract is just about bad enough that I could legitimately see the Dodgers doing a bad contract for bad contract swap with him...but they wouldn't do it for a guy who can only play 1b. And they'd have no reason at all right now to put any money on the table...the only reason they'd move him is to save money.

QUOTE (Lillian @ May 13, 2013 -> 08:17 AM)
Yes, it's a big contract, and that's why I asked if the Dodgers might pay a portion of it.

Regarding Ethier's inability to hit LHP, at present there aren't many southpaws in our division, but of course that could change.

So, who else fits the description of a left handed, middle of the order hitter, whom a team might want to dump because of his contract?

LH middle of the order hitters don't grow on trees. If someone is willing to dump that type of player, he probably isn't very good. That's why the Sox had to throw all that money at Dunn, that's why the Tigers gave Prince too many years.

Putting aside the solution, does anyone here disagree with the assertion that acquiring a productive, middle of the order, left handed bat is the greatest need?

Does anyone think that Dunn is still a realistic candidate to fill that need?

I'd just like to clarify the objective here.

Edited by Lillian

Putting aside the solution, does anyone here disagree with the assertion that acquiring a productive, middle of the order, left handed bat is the greatest need?

Does anyone think that Dunn is the answer to fill that need?

I think acquiring hitters with high OBP is the #1 objective. Having power and being left-handed are certainly desirable qualities, but this team's OBP is so poor across the board that getting anbody who can get their ass on base is the most important thing right now.

Dunn isn't the answer to fill that need, but he's here and nobody is going to take him, so time is better spent figuring out other ways to improve the team that don't involve moving Dunn.

QUOTE (Lillian @ May 13, 2013 -> 08:38 AM)

The best chance the Sox have is for players we have to play like they are capable of playing. If they don't, we aren't adding anything except minor leaguers.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ May 13, 2013 -> 07:44 AM)
I think acquiring hitters with high OBP is the #1 objective. Having power and being left-handed are certainly desirable qualities, but this team's OBP is so poor across the board that getting anbody who can get their ass on base is the most important thing right now.

Dunn isn't the answer to fill that need, but he's here and nobody is going to take him, so time is better spent figuring out other ways to improve the team that don't involve moving Dunn.

I think you're right. Dunn's contract only has one year left, after this season, and $15 million isn't going to tie management's hands. Why not just consider it a "sunk" cost, and move on?

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ May 13, 2013 -> 08:38 AM)

Yeah, it would be great to find one. Dunn was signed to fill that void, and he obviously failed. In the team's current situation though, I just don't see how acquiring another mediocre 30+ player with an awful contract is a good idea.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 13, 2013 -> 08:04 AM)
Yeah, it would be great to find one. Dunn was signed to fill that void, and he obviously failed. In the team's current situation though, I just don't see how acquiring another mediocre 30+ player with an awful contract is a good idea.

What are the alternatives?

This team has too much good pitching to just give up. Yet, without filling that offensive void, the Sox aren't competitive.

QUOTE (Lillian @ May 13, 2013 -> 09:23 AM)
What are the alternatives?

This team has too much good pitching to just give up. Yet, without filling that offensive void, the Sox aren't competitive.

At this point there are no alternatives. That's the issue. Teams aren't ready to trade players yet. That really doesn't even start at least until the end of June.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 13, 2013 -> 08:25 AM)
At this point there are no alternatives. That's the issue. Teams aren't ready to trade players yet. That really doesn't even start at least until the end of June.

In the meantime, would you continue to play Dunn, and if not, whom among players already on the roster, would you play in his place?

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ May 13, 2013 -> 09:29 AM)
In the meantime, would you continue to play Dunn, and if not, whom among players already on the roster, would you play in his place?

I'd have no problems playing the match ups at this point. Honestly with as many players as are hitting badly, Dunn is just one of the problems, and we can't bench them all.