Automobile Thread

witesoxfan

QUOTE (bmags @ May 12, 2016 -> 09:55 AM)
Hey parents - we'll need to get a bigger car than our 2 door yaris.

Wife likes the rav4 hybrid. Having never bought a new car, I'm hesitant. What's the consensus on these mini suvs.

I'd rather just go balls out and get a 1980 volvo stationwagon.

Every day on my way to drop off my son at the in-laws, I see a gray, 80's era Volvo station wagon covered in stickers of the sports teams of Colorado, including a recent 2016 Denver Broncos Super Bowl Champions sticker. Always get a big kick out of it.

As for kid-hauling vehicles, it is my experience that you will need more room than you anticipate. I went out and bought a fairly large sport sedan and even just with 1 child, it can be tight just for my wife and I to take him to the grocery and Target.

As a result, I decided to switch to a 7-passenger SUV.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 12, 2016 -> 11:55 AM)
Hey parents - we'll need to get a bigger car than our 2 door yaris.

Wife likes the rav4 hybrid. Having never bought a new car, I'm hesitant. What's the consensus on these mini suvs.

I'd rather just go balls out and get a 1980 volvo stationwagon.

My wife loves her Jeep Cherokee, hated her CRV. Her friend just got the Ford Edge and loves it.

Our traveler is my JGC though which is much larger and frankly with #2 coming I am thinking about going to an escalade

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 12, 2016 -> 11:47 AM)
So I'm an ahole (or as I tell myself...a truth teller) when it comes to personal finances, so I'm just going to make this comment, but unless I'm mistaken, you work as a server at a Chili's. Now I have no idea what your longer term plans are and maybe you have lined up some wall street job with a big signing bonus (or already have a ton of money through inheritance or something...either way, I don't need to know), but unless one of my predefined scenarios fits, in no way shape or form is dropping $42K on a car a solid financial decision for someone just starting out.

You don't need to take my advice and I'm not here to get into a big discussion about it, but seeing that you are buying one I find it in my internet heart that I need to give you what I feel is the advice I'd tell my kids (and the advice I'd want someone to tell me in that situation).

:wub:

Sadly, most people figure it out a little too late.

One of the phrases I hear is a car is an investment. No it is an expense. Probably the largest expense you will make.

Personally, I preferred a two door for getting my kids in and out of the backseat car-seats. It is kind of going almost straight back instead of across and back. (If that makes sense to y'all).

QUOTE (bmags @ May 12, 2016 -> 03:25 PM)
What about station wagons?

Does Audi still make one? My dad had an A4 wagon back in the day, love that car, Quattro is some amazing tech.

Otherwise I don't really see many wagons out there anymore, I'm sure Subaru has some crossover type wagons still.

My friend bought a volvo station wagon. They look more like SUVs. I IMAGINE they have same issue we are discussing, but am interested if anyone knows. I guess i can drag two car seats with me.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 12, 2016 -> 02:55 PM)
Personally, I preferred a two door for getting my kids in and out of the backseat car-seats. It is kind of going almost straight back instead of across and back. (If that makes sense to y'all).

Psh, you also dont have snow

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 12, 2016 -> 01:27 PM)
Does Audi still make one? My dad had an A4 wagon back in the day, love that car, Quattro is some amazing tech.

Otherwise I don't really see many wagons out there anymore, I'm sure Subaru has some crossover type wagons still.

There is an Audi A3 hatchback and an Audi Allroad.

Most companies have some sort of crossover vehicle which is wagonlike.

Honestly, the issue my family has isn't so much the car seat but the car seat plus the stroller plus the diaper bag...there is just so much stuff!

QUOTE (kevo880 @ May 12, 2016 -> 02:47 PM)
Baby #1 is due in August. Planned on getting a Civic or Accord at the end of June...you guys have me reconsidering what I end up getting. My wife has a Subaru Crosstrek, which is also pretty small.

I have a 2007 Civic, and it really sucks having a child seat in there. The car is too low to the ground, so it's awkward putting my daughter in the seat or taking her out. Plus, when she is in the seat, it's nearly impossible for me to see out that window (the car seat is on the passenger side). It's even hard to see out that window when she's not in it. Due to this, the car seat is normally laying on it's side when she is not in the car, and m car is only used when I'm driving myself.

Maybe things have changed since the 2007 model, but i doubt it too much. I would suggest you look at a different car.

Edited by smalls2598

QUOTE (Tex @ May 12, 2016 -> 11:46 AM)
:wub:

Sadly, most people figure it out a little too late.

One of the phrases I hear is a car is an investment. No it is an expense. Probably the largest expense you will make.

I'm not going to disagree that it sounds like a large expense for him but I'll be honest, I don't think it's anyone's business to tell people how to spend their money unless you are one of their creditors or you are their family member.

Some people love cars and justify spending more of their income on them than others. For whatever reason, a lot of people seem to want to opine on the topic of who should spend what on cars. You don't often hear anyone criticizing someone else's monthly entertainment budget, or how much they spend on their golf game. I suspect if Chili had some fanatical interest in comic books folks would think it was a great hobby.

All that matters in my book is what makes the kid happy.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 12, 2016 -> 03:36 PM)
There is an Audi A3 hatchback and an Audi Allroad.

Most companies have some sort of crossover vehicle which is wagonlike.

Honestly, the issue my family has isn't so much the car seat but the car seat plus the stroller plus the diaper bag...there is just so much stuff!

Yeah. Makes sense.

We paid off our first car so quickly and I was so proud of it. I am sick thinking of a longterm car payment.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 12, 2016 -> 03:45 PM)
I'm not going to disagree that it sounds like a large expense for him but I'll be honest, I don't think it's anyone's business to tell people how to spend their money unless you are one of their creditors or you are their family member.

Some people love cars and justify spending more of their income on them than others. For whatever reason, a lot of people seem to want to opine on the topic of who should spend what on cars. You don't often hear anyone criticizing someone else's monthly entertainment budget, or how much they spend on their golf game. I suspect if Chili had some fanatical interest in comic books folks would think it was a great hobby.

All that matters in my book is what makes the kid happy.

So we should shut down this thread? Isn't this whole thread about how to spend someone's money?

People have been asking what to buy, Jason offered his best heartfelt advice. People are free to ignore him.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 12, 2016 -> 03:57 PM)
find something coming off a lease and save thousands?

I know lemons happen, but my wife and i both have had such horrible experiences doing that, I would rather get one new. It just sucks, i hate cars. I don't want to spend money on them. I hate every second I'm in them. I get the appeal for some people, but just aren't for me.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 12, 2016 -> 01:55 PM)
So we should shut down this thread? Isn't this whole thread about how to spend someone's money?

People have been asking what to buy, Jason offered his best heartfelt advice. People are free to ignore him.

Not at all. But Chili did nothing of the sort. He didn't ask anyone for advice on what to buy. In fact, he didn't ask anyone advice about whether he could afford such a car, how much he makes, what his occupation is, etc.

This is a thread about cars, not about financial advice.

Now I don't think Jason meant any harm by it, and he did mention that he didn't fully know Chili's financial situation, but the whole post sort of assumed that he did.

People just seem overly concerned, for whatever reasons, about how much others spend on cars.