Is there a market for Dunn

TheFutureIsNear

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 13, 2013 -> 11:38 AM)
I think this because he had 79 walks, 34 homers, and 189 K's last year on a god awful team that offered him absolutely zero protection in the lineup. Is he overpaid? Absolutely. Is he much worse than he was when he was younger? Yes. LH power is still important though. Adam Dunn has never been the perfect player and he is way past stretching the value of a true 3 outcome guy's usefulness. But to just dismiss the possibility is crazy. There aren't many guys in baseball that have the chance to hit 40 homers next year. He's one of them.

I'm sorry, I was referring to the idea that he'd play better on a different team where he wasn't expected to be a primary source of production.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 13, 2013 -> 12:24 PM)
Because all of that likely results in a .220/.300/.460 line (or something similar) with absolutely nothing defensively. Teams are just as likely to get that production out of a free agent or a minor leaguer for cheaper. They might prefer a left handed slap hitter who can play all around the field to a guy in Dunn who really should not be playing the field at all.

$10 million is very expensive for a guy who is the definition of a 1 dimensional player, regardless of what other guys are earning around the majors. A guy like Marlon Byrd can play a passable CF and is decent to good in the corners while also providing good value on the bases and at the plate. He may not be the player he was last year, but he should still be worth 2+ WAR. Dunn is going to be lucky to be worth 1 WAR.

.300 OBP is way off, things really couldn't have gone much worse for Dunn the past couple of years and his OBP still didn't dip below .320. It would more than likely be something like .230/.340/.470. Great? No way, but still only a 1 year commitment and he still probably has more upside. Don't forget Dunn was actually pretty darn good for a 3 month, 300 AB stretch. That kind of production is huge for a payoff team in contention. Byrd had a career year that was fueled by an extremely unrealistic .353 BABIP. A blind guy can see that Byrd is in for a huge regression.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Nov 13, 2013 -> 12:27 PM)
.300 OBP is way off, things really couldn't have gone much worse for Dunn the past couple of years and his OBP still didn't dip below .320. It would more than likely be something like .230/.340/.470. Great? No way, but still only a 1 year commitment and he still probably has more upside. Don't forget Dunn was actually pretty darn good for a 3 month, 300 AB stretch. That kind of production is huge for a payoff team in contention. Byrd had a career year that was fueled by an extremely unrealistic .353 BABIP. A blind guy can see that Byrd is in for a huge regression.

Your splits are probably optimistic. Admittedly, my OBP was low, but expecting anything more than .220/.320/.460 is expecting too much.

Adam Dunn is comparable to a durable Travis Hafner at this point in his career. Hafner got $2 million on the open market and it took until February 1st to sign him. He's a last resort sort of guy anymore. Unless the Sox eat about $7.5-10 million of his deal, they aren't going to move him and even then they'd get jack diddly in return.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 13, 2013 -> 02:54 PM)
Your splits are probably optimistic. Admittedly, my OBP was low, but expecting anything more than .220/.320/.460 is expecting too much.

Adam Dunn is comparable to a durable Travis Hafner at this point in his career. Hafner got $2 million on the open market and it took until February 1st to sign him. He's a last resort sort of guy anymore. Unless the Sox eat about $7.5-10 million of his deal, they aren't going to move him and even then they'd get jack diddly in return.

IDK, I think your view of Dunn may be a little slanted. I understand the resentment, but I don't think Hafner is really comparable. I would say Mark Reynolds is more comparable and he got $6 million last year in free agency after putting a similar slash line to Dunn but with 11 less HR's. Teams pay for home runs.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 13, 2013 -> 01:54 PM)

Come on wite, you know that durable & Travis Hafner don't belong in the same sentence. Hafner has played in 100 games once in the last 6 seasons. Dunn has played at least 116 games in each of the last 12 seasons and 149 in 10 of those.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 13, 2013 -> 09:44 PM)
Come on wite, you know that durable & Travis Hafner don't belong in the same sentence. Hafner has played in 100 games once in the last 6 seasons. Dunn has played at least 116 games in each of the last 12 seasons and 149 in 10 of those.

The durable knight went to the amusement park with Travis Hafner, where Travis fell and broke all his bones. See, I did it.

Still, Dunn just isn't a good hitter. He hits home runs. That's it. If a team were to trade for him, it would be a last resort sort of thing. And I do think the Sox would have to eat at least half. Is there anyone that the Sox need to make room for that they need to pay half of Dunn's salary to play for someone else? I don't see it.

I think the only possible suitors would be Seattle (if they lose Ibanez and Morales) and Colorado (if they don't sign a catcher and move Rosario to first). He can split time between DH and 1B with Smoak in Seattle and with the Rockies he can play 1B. A middle of the lineup of 3. CarGo LF 4. Tulo SS 5. Cuddyer RF 6. Dunn 1B doesn't look too shabby. The Sox can send Dunn and say 7.5-10 mill to either team receiving a fringe MLB player in return. The Sox can then: sign Paulie to DH, or slide Viciedo into a DH/1B rotation and then sign a left handed hitting outfielder or if they don't think you are going to contend next year, let Thompson and Mitchell battle it out in spring for the final OF spot. Since the free agent catching options are bad next off-season as well, I would offer AJ a 1 year deal with an option for '15. The team gets more left handed and Flowers and Phegley are terrible and there is nothing in the farm regarding catching anyway.

Edited by chisoxfan310

1. Why can't people let go of AJ Pierzynski? He's not coming back. Stop suggesting it.

2. Why do people want to dump Adam Dunn so that the Sox can re-sign Paul Konerko? It doesn't make any sense. PK is Right handed which is one issue. He's also bad which is a 2nd problem. Dunn had a better year than PK last year. In fact, there aren't many seasons in which Konerko's year was better than Dunn's year. I am willing to bet that Dunn's season next year will be better than Paul Konerko's season next year as well. Come on guys. These things don't make any sense. The Sox already have a mascot. They don't need another one and that is what Paul Konerko would be at this point.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 14, 2013 -> 10:34 AM)
1. Why can't people let go of AJ Pierzynski? He's not coming back. Stop suggesting it.

2. Why do people want to dump Adam Dunn so that the Sox can re-sign Paul Konerko? It doesn't make any sense. PK is Right handed which is one issue. He's also bad which is a 2nd problem. Dunn had a better year than PK last year. In fact, there aren't many seasons in which Konerko's year was better than Dunn's year. I am willing to bet that Dunn's season next year will be better than Paul Konerko's season next year as well. Come on guys. These things don't make any sense. The Sox already have a mascot. They don't need another one and that is what Paul Konerko would be at this point.

I think there will be at least a $10 million a year difference in PKs and Adam Dunn's contracts for 2014 (If PK plays). If the Sox aren't planning on competing, and someone will give you something to move Dunn, you take the savings, and the player no matter how small, and move on. It isn't something that HAS to be done, but if it lines up, you do it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 14, 2013 -> 10:48 AM)
I think there will be at least a $10 million a year difference in PKs and Adam Dunn's contracts for 2014 (If PK plays). If the Sox aren't planning on competing, and someone will give you something to move Dunn, you take the savings, and the player no matter how small, and move on. It isn't something that HAS to be done, but if it lines up, you do it.

Okay. That makes sense. The Sox are not going to eat any money to trade Dunn though. People on this board have suggested that the Sox should eat Dunn's money, take a bag of balls in return, and then sign Paul Konerko. Doesn't make sense.

QUOTE (chisoxfan310 @ Nov 14, 2013 -> 09:59 AM)
I think the only possible suitors would be Seattle (if they lose Ibanez and Morales) and Colorado (if they don't sign a catcher and move Rosario to first). He can split time between DH and 1B with Smoak in Seattle and with the Rockies he can play 1B. A middle of the lineup of 3. CarGo LF 4. Tulo SS 5. Cuddyer RF 6. Dunn 1B doesn't look too shabby. The Sox can send Dunn and say 7.5-10 mill to either team receiving a fringe MLB player in return. The Sox can then: sign Paulie to DH, or slide Viciedo into a DH/1B rotation and then sign a left handed hitting outfielder or if they don't think you are going to contend next year, let Thompson and Mitchell battle it out in spring for the final OF spot. Since the free agent catching options are bad next off-season as well, I would offer AJ a 1 year deal with an option for '15. The team gets more left handed and Flowers and Phegley are terrible and there is nothing in the farm regarding catching anyway.

The Orioles need a DH, the Mets are looking for some power at 1B, the Rangers will be in play if they miss on McCann, the Red Sox could be an option if they dont re-sign Napoli, and the Yankees could be in play if MLB wins its case against ARoid. There are quite a few options for Hahn to look at. And once free agency gets rolling, the Sox will not need to pick up any money, because I have a feeling that Dunns contract is going to look like a bargain by the time the winters over.

QUOTE (chisoxfan310 @ Nov 14, 2013 -> 11:21 AM)
They don't necessarily need to sign Paulie. They can pick up an outfielder and move Viciedo to DH. They can get more athletic and faster

I kind of like this plan. Trade Dunn. I don't want to watch him play baseball for my favorite team anymore. You can give me all the WAR's and OPS's you want. Dunn makes me like the Sox a little less. That is hard to do.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Nov 14, 2013 -> 04:15 PM)
I kind of like this plan. Trade Dunn. I don't want to watch him play baseball for my favorite team anymore. You can give me all the WAR's and OPS's you want. Dunn makes me like the Sox a little less. That is hard to do.

It takes a special kind of dislike to prefer your team gets worse for the sake of getting rid of a player.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Nov 14, 2013 -> 11:15 PM)

I'm also sick of him. I get sick of guys who are mediocre at best in a Sox uniform and horrific at worst. Maybe our new hitting coach can help some of these guys, but Dunn is at the top of my list that I'd like to see hit the road. Also Kepp and Beckham.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 14, 2013 -> 06:00 PM)
I'm also sick of him. I get sick of guys who are mediocre at best in a Sox uniform and horrific at worst. Maybe our new hitting coach can help some of these guys, but Dunn is at the top of my list that I'd like to see hit the road. Also Kepp and Beckham.

The sad thing is, almost the entire heroic 05 team would be scoffed at by Greg as horrible failures.

AJ was DFA'd by the Giants and had to beg Kenny for a job.

Politte was a failed closer Toronto let walk.

Konerko had tough years in 02 and 03, had people wanting him sent to the minors.

Dye was let go as a waste by Oakland, had injury issues for years, and started so poorly this website nicknamed him Dead.

Jenks, loser dumped by the Angels while in the minors.

Crede, completely failed prospect who had years where he didn't do jack.

Garland never lived up to his promise.

Iguchi no one wanted after Kaz Matsui failed with the Mets.

Podsednik, are you kidding, that bum hit .220 the year beforehand.

Jose Contreras, completely washed out with the Yankees. Another failure

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 14, 2013 -> 07:52 PM)
The sad thing is, almost the entire heroic 05 team would be scoffed at by Greg as horrible failures.

AJ was DFA'd by the Giants and had to beg Kenny for a job.

Politte was a failed closer Toronto let walk.

Konerko had tough years in 02 and 03, had people wanting him sent to the minors.

Dye was let go as a waste by Oakland, had injury issues for years, and started so poorly this website nicknamed him Dead.

Jenks, loser dumped by the Angels while in the minors.

Crede, completely failed prospect who had years where he didn't do jack.

Garland never lived up to his promise.

Iguchi no one wanted after Kaz Matsui failed with the Mets.

Podsednik, are you kidding, that bum hit .220 the year beforehand.

Jose Contreras, completely washed out with the Yankees. Another failure

A+

Uribe was a utility player prone to mental blunders.

Cotts, mediocre reliever at best.

El Duque was incredibly old and possibly older than he let on.

Buehrle gave up a lot of homeruns and wasn't the type to get a big strikeout.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 14, 2013 -> 11:34 AM)

I actually think that if the Sox could get some kind of return for Dunn, while paying a bit, there actually is indeed a good fit for AJ. He could be used as DH if not catching. LH bat and decent contact hitter. not to mention the impact on the clubhouse and fans. Not sure why you insist he cannot come back. It's not necessarily a high possibility, but stranger things have happened.

QUOTE (toasty @ Nov 14, 2013 -> 10:46 PM)
I actually think that if the Sox could get some kind of return for Dunn, while paying a bit, there actually is indeed a good fit for AJ. He could be used as DH if not catching. LH bat and decent contact hitter. not to mention the impact on the clubhouse and fans. Not sure why you insist he cannot come back. It's not necessarily a high possibility, but stranger things have happened.

DHing Pierzynski, who is an incredily overrated and mediocre hitter, is an incredibly poor idea.

People need to stop thinking about AJ. He's gone.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 15, 2013 -> 09:13 AM)
DHing Pierzynski, who is an incredily overrated and mediocre hitter, is an incredibly poor idea.

People need to stop thinking about AJ. He's gone.

Not only that but the White Sox managers have a habit of not being bold enough to use their backup C at the DH spot and risk losing the DH if they have their catcher get hurt.

QUOTE (toasty @ Nov 14, 2013 -> 10:46 PM)

Ventura and AJ did not get along very well during AJ's final season in Chicago. He questioned RV's authority on multiple accounts according to reports from soon after AJ left town. I don't think Robin would be on board with AJ returning and some of his teammates would most likely feel the same way. I think the impact on the clubhouse would be a negative one.