Rosenthal: Tanaka to Yankees

bear_brian

QUOTE (timbo @ Jan 19, 2014 -> 12:52 PM)
How do they make sense ?

They have a team that can compete right now, they have a huge need for a front of the rotation pitcher, and they have $25 million in space under the luxury tax line this season.

They make by far the most sense. It would actually be dumb of them to not offer him $25 million this season, he fills a direct need on an expensive, veteran-laden team that has a clearly designed "Win-now" roster.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 19, 2014 -> 12:10 PM)
They have a team that can compete right now, they have a huge need for a front of the rotation pitcher, and they have $25 million in space under the luxury tax line this season.

They make by far the most sense. It would actually be dumb of them to not offer him $25 million this season, he fills a direct need on an expensive, veteran-laden team that has a clearly designed "Win-now" roster.

Rotation is a disaster they have no closer everybody not getting young

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jan 19, 2014 -> 09:26 AM)
Definitely agree.

But things could change pretty quickly for LA with a couple key injuries. They have a lot of long-term money locked up in players right now who are paid like stars and superstars and aren't nearly playing at that level. But I agree, if Tanaka is going to go to NY or LA, if he wants to win he'll go to LA.

I think one of those teams gets him anyway but it's impressive that we've even been involved in this thing. Definitely not something we'd have done before. I wonder.... is JR going to.... can't even say this.... getting an itch to go Illitch? Certainly not, can't happen.... hmmmm.

Who? Kemp? They are already good with him like that. Sure, Kershaw and Greinke could get hurt and that could change things but they put up pretty impressive numbers last year despite injuries to Greinke (thanks to Quentin) and Kemp being out. I can only see Kemp being more valuable. Also, Hanley has been extremely productive for them when healthy and he missed a decent chunk. To be frank, I think the Dodgers will be much better this year vs. last year. Again, you can't predict injuries but they already have made the playoffs and done well despite injuries to some pretty expensive players.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 19, 2014 -> 10:24 AM)
I think the dodgers will be good again, but Puig has to be consistent for them to go to the next level. He singlehandedly put them in the race last season, and he faded after his hot start.

Kershaw/Greinke say hello. Hanley Ramirez, Adrian Gonzalez, Matt Kemp, Carl Crawford, and Andre Ethier also say hi. I realize Kemp was hurt and some of those guys are overpaid but they are all effective players at their position and at least league average and in most instances above to well above league averaeg. Puig is a huge piece for the Dodgers but they have a lot of quality players, many of which are still above average. Also, the rest of their rotation is pretty good and if you put Tanaka in it, wowza. This is all on paper but they clearly are above average and also have made some other international moves that could pan out (see 2B they signed around the time we signed Abreu).

Note: You might be right that Puig has to be above average to win the series but their front two in the rotation is so good that it might work. That was a pretty banged up Dodger team in the postseason and if they could have bought a clutch hit they would have went farther.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 19, 2014 -> 01:26 PM)
I'm not convinced the Yankees are in a position to compete this year. I suppose. I wouldn't be placing my bets for them to be in the playoffs,though it isn't outside the realm of possibility

They wrote a bunch of "win now" contracts. Beltran, Ellsbury, McCann. They get Tex back, potentially Jeter's last year.

They still have a major need for a top of the rotation starter, and one is available. The match is just painfully obvious.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 19, 2014 -> 12:26 PM)
I'm not convinced the Yankees are in a position to compete this year. I suppose. I wouldn't be placing my bets for them to be in the playoffs,though it isn't outside the realm of possibility

Outside if the Dodgers, pretty much all of the other suitors are not guaranteed for playoffs. It Tanaka wants a sure playoff opportunity right now, it will be the dodgers.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 19, 2014 -> 10:26 AM)

All this said, I said the same think about Boston this past year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 19, 2014 -> 10:34 AM)
They wrote a bunch of "win now" contracts. Beltran, Ellsbury, McCann. They get Tex back, potentially Jeter's last year.

They still have a major need for a top of the rotation starter, and one is available. The match is just painfully obvious.

I completely agree. The Yanks should outbid the Dodgers because they have a massive need in their rotation. They made some pretty big signings to fill the void for Cano and to be frank their lineup is better then it was last year. Rotation is just a hot mess.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 19, 2014 -> 12:34 PM)

The Yankees write win-now contracts every year

I will say this, Yanks rotation gets a lot better if the historical CC shows back up (and Nova looks more like he did 2 years ago vs. last year). That way Kuroda doesn't have to be their ace. I just don't know that you can project that given how bad the two of them were.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 19, 2014 -> 12:34 PM)
All this said, I said the same think about Boston this past year.

Boston always had a really good-looking rotation. IMO, the Yankees are so porous in the pitching staff that the whole thing can blow up in their face. Boston's questions were in their lineup. They were a more 2005 White Sox-like team that had a pitching staff that was predictably good but a lineup that needed some surprise performances.

If Tanaka doesn’t sign with the Sox, would anyone here support a move like signing Ubaldo Jimenez? That type of signing would still make the staff rock solid. Plus Jimenez would be for less $/years.

Sale

Jimenez

Quintana

Danks

Johnson/Paulino/Rienzo

QUOTE (Whitey @ Jan 19, 2014 -> 01:31 PM)
If Tanaka doesn’t sign with the Sox, would anyone here support a move like signing Ubaldo Jimenez? That type of signing would still make the staff rock solid. Plus Jimenez would be for less $/years.

Sale

Jimenez

Quintana

Danks

Johnson/Paulino/Rienzo

I don't know I pass on him and dodger we're go after if they didn't sign tanaka

Edited by timbo

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 19, 2014 -> 12:10 PM)

Balta, I'm not sure where you're getting your numbers from, but there is literally no way the Yankees can add Tanaka without going into the luxury tax short of selling off players.