Rosenthal: Tanaka to Yankees

bear_brian

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 19, 2014 -> 04:18 AM)
Some random poster on MLBTR's discussion says a "little birdie told him" that the Sox offered 4 yrs/$100M, and thus are the 1 team that "nearly" offered OVER $100M like the report said. It makes sense too, as you'd figure the Yankees/Dodgers/Cubs would be bidding a lot, the DBacks are apparently at $120M, so that leaves the Sox and Slick Rick trying to get creative with a deal.

4 yrs/$100M with maybe 2 player options, or vesting options, or something. I thought before it was highly unlikely the Sox would ever win this bidding war, but if they did, it would have to be with a creative deal. I stick by that. No way we outbid, but maybe we outsmart.

I wouldn't mind a 4/100 offer with an opt out for free agency.

Ty Youngfelt ‏@TyYoungfelt 4h

Hearing Dodgers unlikely to match Cubs offer, instead using geographical, team strength issues as selling points to bridge gap...

Ty Youngfelt ‏@TyYoungfelt 1h

As of a week ago, Yankees have lowest bid, D'Backs, Dodgers within +/- 8M of each other...hearing Yanks adjusted/matched-Cubs +20-30 over

To clarify- Yankees matched D'Backs offer of 115, not Cubs offer...

Ty Youngfelt ‏@TyYoungfelt 40m

@MudderFudder77 Have not heard nothing on Sox, at all, have the $ tho...

This guy writes for the Pioneer Press and has had info in the past.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 19, 2014 -> 10:06 AM)

Hearing Dodgers unlikely to match Cubs offer, instead using geographical, team strength issues as selling points to bridge gap...

As of a week ago, Yankees have lowest bid, D'Backs, Dodgers within +/- 8M of each other...hearing Yanks adjusted/matched-Cubs +20-30 over

I mean I would love to see what Sox are offering, but I'm glad it's not out there just yet. I think Sox have a legit shot at him.

I think we got a real shot. I like we aren't hearin leaks from our side. I just hope we sold him on living in Chicago and being a part of our future more than the cubs did. I think his pop star wife sends him to LA or NYy but let's hope this dude is different.

This is also a good sign, whether any of these tweets have merit who knows. But it's good news seeing the offers aren't crazy high with the exception of the Cubs.

AZ at 6/$115 and the NYY equal to that or at most 6/$122. That's definitely doable. It seems like most teams with the exception of the Cuba are coming in right at each other.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 19, 2014 -> 10:12 AM)
I mean...what's confusing me is are teams still actively bidding? Seems like Tanaka has received bids and is home not thinking about it while stories are out of teams new approaches to sign him.

As far as I have read, yesterday at 5 pm ET was the deadline for interested teams to submit offers. I'm sure other teams can offer whatever but I'm guessing the would have. Itll be one of these 5 teams

I wonder if the fact that the Sox are offering him the largest contract is White Sox history helps him see how much the FO values him. I mean that has to mean something.

I think the fact the Sox are so quiet on this says something also, what I don't know but it just seems weird to me we're not hearing any $ figures out of them.

Edited by Frank_Thomas35

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 19, 2014 -> 11:19 AM)
I wonder if the fact that the Sox are offering him the largest contract is White Sox history helps him see how much the FO values him. I mean that has to mean something.

I think the fact the Sox are so quiet on this says something also, what I don't know but it just seems weird to me we're not hearing any $ figures out of them.

frankly I think it's smart.

If Tanaka doesn't want teams publicly leaking info, and the only team NOT LEAKING INFO is the Sox?

Smart Hahn, very smart. :)

QUOTE (Baron @ Jan 18, 2014 -> 06:03 PM)
The 8 for 200 has no legs....the 6 for 160 probably does. The Cubs had to overpay to have a chance at getting him.

6 / 160 is ludicrious. I get nervous at 20M/yr, let alone that. I don't believe it. I think he signs for somewhere between 18-22M annually. I don't expect more then that.

I know that it's cliche around here but I am just glad that they are involved. It will come down to what Tanaka wants now. I don't want the Sox to overpay for him either. Decide how much he is worth to you and offer that amount while selling him on the fact that they have a decent young core with a good pitching staff in a big market city. That may not be enough. He may have his heart set on LAD or even Arizona. If he takes the most $$ it sounds like it will be the Cubs. Getting him would be huge but I am fine either way. I am glad that the White Sox are acting like a big market club and having the conversation at least.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 19, 2014 -> 10:28 AM)
BTW does any one know if Tanaka and Kershaw have the same agent? I read somewhere they did and that Tanaka was a part of the discussions during the Kershaw deal as far as back loading his deal, with the hopes of landing Tabaka.

Yes, Casey Close I believe.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 19, 2014 -> 10:28 AM)
BTW does any one know if Tanaka and Kershaw have the same agent? I read somewhere they did and that Tanaka was a part of the discussions during the Kershaw deal as far as back loading his deal, with the hopes of landing Tabaka.

Yes. Casey Close is the agent for both players as well as Greinke I think.

Dodgers have a few guys repped and have a very strong relationship with Close's agent. I still think the Dodgers are the major front-runners. All things being equal, I'd be surprised if he doesn't do the LA thing. He wants to be on the west coast, they are competitors, and he wouldn't have as much pressure (if he isn't interested in it) being in a rotation with Kershaw/Greinke.

I have a feeling almost every teams offer will be within a few mill of each other (annually) with the one possible exception being the Cubs. My gut tells me, due to the Sox unwiling to go so long on guaranteed money that they will have a more unique offer/pitch to Tanaka. If you could sell Tanaka on 4 years with other options, his agent might be intrigued as he'd hit the market again, in his prime, with a shot to land another major deal. He would leave a lot of money on the table and there is risk that he doesn't perform as advertised and that deal isn't there. Right now, he benefits at least a bit from the new posting rules and the fact that it was a thin FA market.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 19, 2014 -> 10:34 AM)
Dodgers have a few guys repped and have a very strong relationship with Close's agent. I still think the Dodgers are the major front-runners. All things being equal, I'd be surprised if he doesn't do the LA thing. He wants to be on the west coast, they are competitors, and he wouldn't have as much pressure (if he isn't interested in it) being in a rotation with Kershaw/Greinke.

I have a feeling almost every teams offer will be within a few mill of each other (annually) with the one possible exception being the Cubs. My gut tells me, due to the Sox unwiling to go so long on guaranteed money that they will have a more unique offer/pitch to Tanaka. If you could sell Tanaka on 4 years with other options, his agent might be intrigued as he'd hit the market again, in his prime, with a shot to land another major deal. He would leave a lot of money on the table and there is risk that he doesn't perform as advertised and that deal isn't there. Right now, he benefits at least a bit from the new posting rules and the fact that it was a thin FA market.

his wife wants to in the west cost

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 19, 2014 -> 08:44 AM)
This has happened too many times. I actually think we can get him but he'll just sign with the Yankees for a huge amount of money

I think it is highly unlikely he signs in New York. I think he either takes the money from the Cubs or signs with the Dodgers. I wouldn't write off the Angels. Despite all the talk, Moreno has indicated they are in and the Angels historically have swooped in late on guys. It is kind of their M.O. That said, they really can't afford another guy when they have to figure a way to sign Trout to like a 10 - 15 year deal that will be the largest in major league baseball history (all while being saddled with Albert and the heroin addict (or whatever Hamilton was addicated to).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 19, 2014 -> 10:47 AM)
I think it is highly unlikely he signs in New York. I think he either takes the money from the Cubs or signs with the Dodgers. I wouldn't write off the Angels. Despite all the talk, Moreno has indicated they are in and the Angels historically have swooped in late on guys. It is kind of their M.O. That said, they really can't afford another guy when they have to figure a way to sign Trout to like a 10 - 15 year deal that will be the largest in major league baseball history (all while being saddled with Albert and the heroin addict (or whatever Hamilton was addicated to).

Why not NYY?

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Jan 19, 2014 -> 09:29 AM)
5 more days fellas.. It makes me wonder, if the Sox were able to pull a move like that, how would it influence ticket sales.

I can't speak for everyone, but if the Sox somehow land Tanaka I will be buying at least a 14 game plan for me and my son this year. I am on the fence about it anyways, but that would put it over the top...

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 19, 2014 -> 10:47 AM)

I agree I think he ends up in LA. Up until last night I had downplayed the whole "his wife wants to be on the West Coast" thing. But after reading she's some major pop star in Japan and wants to still be able to pursue her career kind of dampened my hopes a bit. I think it's LALA land Tanaka. However I do think of its not them the Sox have a chance. Just the quietness, KW comments publicly, the fact we were the only "confirmed" meeting. I still have this gut feeling but well see.

Based on the numbers from the tweets this is where it stands:

AZ- 6 years- $115 million

NYY- 6 Years- $115 million

LA- 6- years- $120-125 million

CHC- 6 Years- $135-140 Million

CWS- ? ? ? ? ( was speculation of 4 Years- $125 million with options, never confirmed or reported on)

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 19, 2014 -> 08:48 AM)
Why not NYY?

I don't see NYY going crazy and out spending the Dodgers and in zero scenario where the money is equal or similar, do I think he goes all the way to NY (vs. LA). LA always is a far superior team. I can see the Dodgers letting the Cubs or others win, but I think they would puke if the Yankees beat them in the deal as well as they are trying to be the Yankees of the west. I just flat out don't see New York taking him from the Dodgers. I don't think the Dodgers are that concerned with the Cubs landing him or if the Sox did? Obviously they want him but they have a price and will stick to it (especially with as much as they have tied in the rotation). Of all the teams bidding, the Yanks and Cubs should be the ones to spend the most as they have massive holes in their rotation.

Logically, I can't figure out any way the Sox would win, other then if he really didn't want to play in a large market (yes, Chicago is a large market, but we know the Sox don't get the "large market attention" and wanted to play on a team with a proven track record of developing, respecting, and treating foreign players well. However, that could very much be something Tanaka is interested in. He seems to be trying to stay away from all the spotlight as much as possible during this time (not really talking to media, barely talking to teams) so maybe that is a major concern of his (and if it is, New York would be the worse possible place to go and to a lesser extent the Cubs probably would too). I also would imagine the Fukodome issues could hinder him (Fukodome much preferred his brief tenure with White Sox vs. time with Cubs). That can't be a secret to Tanaka. Albeit, it was a pretty short run with the White Sox.