2014-2015 NCAA football thread

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 11:46 PM)
That picture off center with a player right on the thirty five does not convince me, sorry.

Huh? The closest player's front foot is a full yard behind the 35. You can't lean enough without falling over for any part of your body to be that far in front of your front foot.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 12:55 AM)
From the few games I watched today it looked like the refs were on the take.

its that time of year when conferences are trying to get teams bowl eligible.

so if Illinois goes 5-7, do you guys think Beckman is an automatic firing? Just trying to find some teams that may be willing to "steal" Golden from Miami. Since he wont get fired after this season, I've got to hope someone sways him away. He is f***ing terrible. Let another program get Haith'd.

Edited by zenryan

QUOTE (zenryan @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 10:31 AM)
its that time of year when conferences are trying to get teams bowl eligible.

so if Illinois goes 5-7, do you guys think Beckman is an automatic firing? Just trying to find some teams that may be willing to "steal" Golden from Miami. Since he wont get fired after this season, I've got to hope someone sways him away. He is f***ing terrible. Let another program get Haith'd.

Why would he leave Miami to go to Illinois if he isn't forced out though? The Illinois program is awful.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 11:43 AM)
Why would he leave Miami to go to Illinois if he isn't forced out though? The Illinois program is awful.

Might make more money. Job security would be better. He is very loyal to his DC and he might prefer to go elsewhere with him instead of firing him.

Also to win at Miami, he has to clean up south Florida and right now that isnt happening because of a lot of BS by south Florida HS coaches. f***ing piranhas down there who hold grudges or wanting some sort of kick back.

Edited by zenryan

QUOTE (zenryan @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 11:35 AM)
Might make more money. Job security would be better. He is very loyal to his DC and he might prefer to go elsewhere with him instead of firing him.

Also to win at Miami, he has to clean up south Florida and right now that isnt happening because of a lot of BS by south Florida HS coaches. f***ing piranhas down there who hold grudges or wanting some sort of kick back.

If he goes somewhere else, it won't be UI.

From the few games I watched today it looked like the refs were on the take.

No ref problems at ND Saturday. Just a coach who can't get his head out of his ass. Funny that he thinks that consistently failing to score touchdowns from within the 10 is a player execution problem and not a playcalling problem, though.

Oh, and go recruit a good kicker.

The horseshoe that was up ND's ass in 2012 is now firmly planted up Florida State's. Both teams are strikingly similar. I really hope FSU can get past Florida but they are going to get lit up by Oregon or Alabama in the playoff. I honestly don't think FSU is one of the top 10 teams in the country right now, let along top 4. I have a +600 futures bet on FSU winning it all from over the summer but I am absolutely hedging that if they make it to the playoffs.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 06:59 AM)
No ref problems at ND Saturday. Just a coach who can't get his head out of his ass. Funny that he thinks that consistently failing to score touchdowns from within the 10 is a player execution problem and not a playcalling problem, though.

Oh, and go recruit a good kicker.

Kelly really seems to enjoy throwing his players under the bus, something you don't really see much of at the college level.

Kelly really seems to enjoy throwing his players under the bus, something you don't really see much of at the college level.

I will say that while the team has Top 5 talent, they are very inexperienced and it has shown from time to time. Still, there have been an awful lot of horrible coaching decisions on both offense and defense the past 3 games. Very sad to see since the FSU game was one of the best-coached games I've ever seen from Kelly's era.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 12:15 PM)
Come on Penn St., put this one away. I don't want there to be any possibility of Beckman saving his job.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 02:11 PM)
And f***. There's a legitimate chance Beckman is back next year now.

Seriously? This outlook pisses me off, that win was earned by our seniors they deserved it. Forget about Beckman for one day and enjoy an Illini win, he isn't coming back anyways so relax and let the seniors/team have their moment.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 11:04 AM)
Seriously? This outlook pisses me off, that win was earned by our seniors they deserved it. Forget about Beckman for one day and enjoy an Illini win, he isn't coming back anyways so relax and let the seniors/team have their moment.

I have to agree. Enjoy your damn team. We all thought they'd win 5 or 6 games this year and here they are.

I know this is going to sound bizarre coming from me, but I take real issue with FSU not being #1 in the playoff rankings. Yes, they needed quite a bit of luck (and extra help from the refs) to win all their games, but their official record is 11-0 and they play in a major conference. Yes, I know that their conference is weak, but their schedule strength is still #49 according to Sagarin and I think your schedule strength needs to be much closer to Marshall territory (#136) before you can start putting teams with losses ahead of them.

Do I think two, and possibly more teams are actually better than FSU? Yes, but if being undefeated doesn't count for something, then it's a dumb system. I just think we are setting a dangerous precedent where some really good undefeated team down the line could get left out of the playoffs entirely.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 11:04 AM)

I don't think that is true at all. I think there is a chance that he is brought back even if he loses to NW and if he beats NW and is going to a bowl game I would be really surprised if he isn't brought back.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 05:05 PM)
I don't think that is true at all. I think there is a chance that he is brought back even if he loses to NW and if he beats NW and is going to a bowl game I would be really surprised if he isn't brought back.

I personally would be shocked if Beckman is kept by Thomas, he would have to win out and the chances of that are still low. I think Thomas wants a new coach and hasn't seen Beckman as the guy for awhile.

That said, this all relies on two things:

1. Do we win Saturday/and in a bowl (moreso Saturday)?

2. Are any coaches worth pursuing even interested in this job?

But in the meantime I'm going to enjoy this team finally doing something in the Big Ten and really, really want to beat NU and Fitzy to steal a bowl game from them as we go bowling.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 05:17 PM)
I personally would be shocked if Beckman is kept by Thomas, he would have to win out and the chances of that are still low. I think Thomas wants a new coach and hasn't seen Beckman as the guy for awhile.

That said, this all relies on two things:

1. Do we win Saturday/and in a bowl (moreso Saturday)?

2. Are any coaches worth pursuing even interested in this job?

But in the meantime I'm going to enjoy this team finally doing something in the Big Ten and really, really want to beat NU and Fitzy to steal a bowl game from them as we go bowling.

I'd fire Beckman even if he got 6 wins, but as long as he plays NU close his odds of sticking around are probably better than 50%.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 05:24 PM)
I'd fire Beckman even if he got 6 wins, but as long as he plays NU close his odds of sticking around are probably better than 50%.

Regardless of Beckman staying/going, us making a bowl this year would be huge for the program and so I'll be rooting on this team no matter what. I honestly don't think Beckman will be kept, I think Thomas has a plan on moving on from him but we'll see.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 05:32 PM)
Regardless of Beckman staying/going, us making a bowl this year would be huge for the program and so I'll be rooting on this team no matter what. I honestly don't think Beckman will be kept, I think Thomas has a plan on moving on from him but we'll see.

There's a 0.000001% chance he's fired if he makes it to a bowl, which is probably worse for the program in the long run, but I can't actively root for them to lose. So, a win win situation, right? :lol:

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 06:05 PM)

From an outsider's perspective, I can't imagine Beckman keeping his job. Besides the amount of losses in his tenure and the fact that he seems to get out-coached a lot, I think the lack of attendance is the most damning thing for him. Nobody is going to the games. You cannot have that if you want your program to be successful.

Beckman is bad. I don't think I've ever hated an Illini coach more. But if they somehow beat NW and make a bowl, than his team has achieved a goal and a reasonable measure of success and, maybe more importantly, over come adversity by finishing strong to do it. If that happens (and I don't think it will), he deserves to stay (shudder).

Edited by PlaySumFnJurny