2014-2015 NFL Football thread

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 14, 2015 -> 02:46 PM)
The key question is whether a team can have a really, really bad season and it not be the coach's fault. Can a guy have some blemishes on his resume and that just be part of what happens when you coach for a long time or is it some proof that when certain circumstances aren't met, he's no good?

It seems Fox has a good reputation for leading an orderly locker room, hiring bright assistants, and generally having his team perform up to expectations. He's had some fabulous teams in Denver, especially the last two years. Last year was the year to win it, and they almost did. This year would seem to have been just as prime time, but perhaps it was Peyton's injury that cost them. My feeling is that if you give John Fox a 13-3 team, he'll get them to go 13-3 just about every time. Sometimes he'll make an 8-8 team a couple games better. I don't see him being the driving force behind a bad team.

If our problem is that the team only plays up to its talent level and merely makes the playoffs and usually wins there, we can cross that bridge when we get there.

The only thing I'll say to that is

1) Tom Coughlin

And 2) That 2010 Panthers team was really hung out to dry by their ownership in the CBA year. While others were loading up because "NO CAP!" they were doing the opposite and claiming poor to get a better deal.

But to me, John Fox is basically Tom Coughlin level as a coach, and that's really good!

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to Mort, Austin interviewed very well yesterday. If it isn't Fox, I think it will be Austin. Some reports indicate that people think of him in a similar manner to Tomlin (I think we've already seen those comparisons here and a lot of that probably has to do with them having similar backgrounds leading up to this). Supposedly similar personalities as well.

Clayton indicating Bears have been meeting with Fox since about 12 Central time and that supposedly Fox has made calls to Shanny and Dennis Allen during those interviews. Expects something to get done today/tonight. Real question I have, does Fox switch back to Gase as the next OC. With SF going another direction and not hiring Gase and the Broncos focused on Kubiak and Falcons not interested, I guess the question is how was Gase and Fox's relationship. Given that Denver didn't just jump at Gase, you'd have to think Fox and Gase worked well with one another and that Fox might go with Gase over Shanny (given their previous working relationship).

What a f***ing coup if true.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 14, 2015 -> 04:57 PM)
You would think more would leak out after the interview than what has so far. Which is nothing pretty much.

It's apparent that there is a huge lack of institutional sources with George running show and a new GM.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 14, 2015 -> 05:03 PM)
Who would be competition for Fox? Atlanta?

That and its possible he doesnt even land a HC job and sits out for a year. Maybe he is seeking more personnel control that Pace is not willing to give up.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 14, 2015 -> 02:57 PM)
You would think more would leak out after the interview than what has so far. Which is nothing pretty much.

If they are in the midst of an interview, I wouldn't expect much to come out, since everyone is in the room together the whole time (outside of pee breaks).

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 14, 2015 -> 03:03 PM)
Who would be competition for Fox? Atlanta?

It would appear Fox is Chicago or bust right now and it would appear Bears are smarter than a lot of thought as their was significant back channeling that took place.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 14, 2015 -> 05:12 PM)
It would appear Fox is Chicago or bust right now and it would appear Bears are smarter than a lot of thought as their was significant back channeling that took place.

That's all smoke right now, we have no idea.

We have a media right now who just says "Bears could bring in Gase, now that he's not a HC"

Is there reason to say that? No, but yes...they could!