Cole Hamels?

GGajewski18

Would you guys be willing to trade for Cole Hamels? He's 30 years old right now with an AAV of 24 million until 2019. If the Sox can somehow trade Danks and with Dunn, Keppinger and Downs contracts off the books the next couple years, would you go for it?

Take on the whole contract and give up Montas, Micah Johnson, Hawkins and Beck? Is that to much? Definitely interesting, that rotation no matter what hand they throw with would be insane.

Rotation for next year

Sale

Quintana

Hamels

Rodon?/Or free agent RHP

Noesi?

Edited by SoxPride18

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 29, 2014 -> 03:11 PM)
That is way, way too much.

I like Hamels, but I don't think they're ready to be big time buyers yet.

I completely agree that the Sox aren't going to be big time buyers, but its definitely an interesting though in my opinion. Sox would go into next year with 3 dominant lefties and money off the books that could pay for Hamels.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 29, 2014 -> 03:15 PM)
I completely agree that the Sox aren't going to be big time buyers, but its definitely an interesting though in my opinion. Sox would go into next year with 3 dominant lefties and money off the books that could pay for Hamels.

Even without Hamels, they might go into next year with 3 dominant lefties in the rotation.

QUOTE (sayitaintso @ Jul 29, 2014 -> 03:17 PM)
If the sox took on the whole contract there's a snowballs chance in hell that they give up that. The Phils would be lucky to get Dunn and Axlerod's jock.

His salary is probably appropriate, but the Sox can't give up what it would take to get him. Someone probably will if he truly is available. But they are going to want a ton back.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 29, 2014 -> 03:23 PM)
His salary is probably appropriate, but the Sox can't give up what it would take to get him. Someone probably will if he truly is available. But they are going to want a ton back.

I was referring to the original post, but Hamels' salary isn't bad (22.5 Mil from 2014 to 2018, 20 mil club option 2019, 6 mil buyout), but to take on the entire salary AND give up 4 of our top 10 isn't feasible (hence the Donkey and Jock reference).

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 29, 2014 -> 04:33 PM)
The other thing is that teams can wait until the off-season and make a play for Scherzer, Lester, or Shields and give up no prospects.

Except for a draft pick, and the White Sox are sitting in that "OMG don't sign anyone" area where they'd lose a pick in the upper top 10/CHRIS SALE WAS HERE range.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 29, 2014 -> 03:36 PM)
Except for a draft pick, and the White Sox are sitting in that "OMG don't sign anyone" area where they'd lose a pick in the upper top 10/CHRIS SALE WAS HERE range.

It's cheaper than prospects; it's okay to give it up if you do so for a stud. the market was correct last year that, say, Drew, wasn't worth a #1 draft pick.

"The Dodgers recently inquired about Phillies starter Cole Hamels, and were asked for a return that included all of Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias. Los Angeles indicated it had no interest in a deal with that framework, but Philadelphia has not move yet from that asking price. The Phils are telling clubs that it wants three top-tier youngsters and another mid-level prospect in return for Hamels."

Per MLBTR.

Good luck with that Philly.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jul 29, 2014 -> 05:44 PM)
"The Dodgers recently inquired about Phillies starter Cole Hamels, and were asked for a return that included all of Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias. Los Angeles indicated it had no interest in a deal with that framework, but Philadelphia has not move yet from that asking price. The Phils are telling clubs that it wants three top-tier youngsters and another mid-level prospect in return for Hamels."

Per MLBTR.

Lol that's laughable. For those 3 players, Phillies would have to eat the rest of that contract. That team is so old and bad, they need to sell.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 29, 2014 -> 05:48 PM)
Lol that's laughable. For those 3 players, Phillies would have to eat the rest of that contract. That team is so old and bad, they need to sell.

That's what I'm thinking too. For a team desperate to relieve payroll they sure are shooting for the stars. I understand you always ask for more but, wow!

Philly has become the model of what not to do as far as signing so many veterans to long term deals that extend well into the players 30's.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jul 29, 2014 -> 05:44 PM)

Per MLBTR.

Jesus. Maybe one. I honestly have no idea how Ruben Amaro Jr still has a job.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/instagraphs...or-cole-hamels/

With the trade deadline 48 hours away, the Phillies have apparently made Cole Hamels available in trade talks. This is good news for Phillies fans, as Hamels will likely never have more value than he does right now. However, if Bob Nightengale’s sources are correct, the Phillies asking price for Hamels is insane.

Yet, according to one-ranking official directly involved with the talks, the Los Angeles Dodgers recently asked for Hamels. They were told the price would be three of their top prospects – center fielder Joc Pederson, shortstop Corey Seager and left-handed pitcher Julio Urias.

On their midseason Top 50, Baseball America ranked Urias as the #13 prospect in baseball, with Seager at #16 and Pederson at #18. MLB.com had them in the same basic area, with Seager at #17, Urias at #18, and Pederson at #19. Here, Marc Hulet had Seager at #6, Pederson at #18, and Urias as having “just missed” the top 25.

Needless to say, the consensus is that these are three of the ~20 or so best prospects in baseball. As Jeff Sullivan wrote yesterday, the more recent estimates of the value of prospects in this range is something like $30 to $40 million. Each. In other words, if all three were made free agents tomorrow, the estimates are that teams would spend something in that range to sign those guys, and when you look at what the unrestricted international free agents have signed for lately — $42 million for Yasiel Puig and Hyun-Jin Ryu, $68 million for Jose Abreu, $30 million for Aroldis Chapman — there’s plenty of evidence to support the claims, and they might even be on the low side.

But, just for fun, let’s say that each of the Dodgers’ prospects is worth something like $30 million. To receive all three, the Phillies would have to give up about $90 million in surplus value. As I noted in last week’s piece, Hamels has about $5 million in surplus value in his future contract, not counting the remainder of his 2014 production. Even if you get very aggressive with the value of a win down the stretch, you probably can’t justify more than $15 or $20 million in 2014 value for Hamels.

But, hey, let’s give him $20 million in surplus value for the rest of the year, just for fun. Wins are insanely valuable to contenders right now, and teams pay premiums to add pitching this time of year. And a team acquiring him should expect to get to the postseason, so they’re not just paying for the 11 or 12 regular season starts he has left, but that additional postseason boost as well.

But even with that accounted for, Hamels total surplus value still doesn’t even match up to the conservative estimate of the surplus value of one of the three Dodgers prospects.

To ask for all three and not think they are going to get laughed at, the Phillies would have to be selling a genetic clone of Mike Trout or something. The Phillies would do well to land one top 20 prospect for Hamels. Demanding three of them is just being ridiculous.

Lol at our B and C level prospects being too much for a top ten pitcher in baseball with a world series ring and mvp who is controlled for 4 more years at fair market value. How is his contact a hindrance if he's pitching great? If he was on the open market he wouldn't get more than 4 years 90 mil? If Philly really is open to trading him (which I don't believe) they would have a lot better offers than what we could possibly come up with.

But with all that said we aren't nearly in a place to be even considering a deal like that and I'm pretty positive Hahn isn't.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Jul 30, 2014 -> 09:17 AM)
Lol at our B and C level prospects being too much for a top ten pitcher...

You say this (and everything behind it)...

But with all that said we aren't nearly in a place to be even considering a deal like that and I'm pretty positive Hahn isn't.

...and then follow it with this.

Do you understand what I'm getting at?

Lol at our B and C level prospects being too much for a top ten pitcher in baseball with a world series ring and mvp who is controlled for 4 more years at fair market value. How is his contact a hindrance if he's pitching great? If he was on the open market he wouldn't get more than 4 years 90 mil? If Philly really is open to trading him (which I don't believe) they would have a lot better offers than what we could possibly come up with.

Right now it isn't but pitchers do regress sometime after the age of 30 so its quite possible Hamels ( 31 in december) will regress and depending on how much he might not be worth that money in just a few years. Also should point out he has logged a lot of innings throughout his career which could scare GM's.