Tony Stewart purposefully ran someone over?

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (zenryan @ Sep 25, 2014 -> 11:33 AM)
I guess all the people who were highly judgmental against Stewart will just move onto the next big news story.

My question is, were they somehow able to tell that he was high at the time? THC stays in your system for 3-4 weeks on average unless you have virtually no body fat on you. Was he just a regular smoker or could they prove that he was high at the time?

QUOTE (kevo880 @ Sep 25, 2014 -> 12:37 PM)
My question is, were they somehow able to tell that he was high at the time? THC stays in your system for 3-4 weeks on average unless you have virtually no body fat on you. Was he just a regular smoker or could they prove that he was high at the time?

It depends on what samples they took for the toxicology report. THC is metabolized by your body and is only detectable in blood for a few hours (similar to alcohol). If THC showed up in his blood sample, he would have had to smoke recently which is why they were able to determine he was probably under the influence.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Sep 25, 2014 -> 11:44 AM)
It depends on what samples they took for the toxicology report. THC is metabolized by your body and is only detectable in blood for a few hours (similar to alcohol). If THC showed up in his blood sample, he would have had to smoke recently which is why they were able to determine he was probably under the influence.

I see. I was unaware that it only stayed in your blood for a few hours. Who the hell would be professionally racing while high?

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Sep 25, 2014 -> 01:37 PM)
If Joe Schmo did this, he'd be indicted.

Meaning if a regular racer did this? It is really, really hard to say that with the extraneous circumstances, you could indite someone based on what I saw on the video. The other racer was out of his car (strike one), high (strike two), and running down into traffic on a racetrack. (strike three). There are just so many things we don't know about, that it would be hard to prove some sort of intent for sure, or even an amount of true negligence, to which to build a case on. You can call people to give their opinions of what Stewart did, but I don't see how you have enough evidence to start to prove a crime.

• 10 months later...

OK, there isn't a general auto racing thread and I didn't really want to start a whole new one, so I just put this here.

Just under four years after Dan Wheldon lost his life on the track, IndyCar has another driver in a coma and in critical condition. Justin Wilson was hit in the head yesterday by debris from a wreck in front of him. It knocked him out cold which in turn sent his car head first into the wall. Obvious concern for Justin but also for the sport since a second on-track death in four years could really damage the sport.

The connection to Tony Stewart: he loaned his plane/pilots free of charge to Justin's family memebers to fly from Indy to Pennsylvania, where Justin is hospitalized.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 24, 2015 -> 08:10 AM)
OK, there isn't a general auto racing thread and I didn't really want to start a whole new one, so I just put this here.

Just under four years after Dan Wheldon lost his life on the track, IndyCar has another driver in a coma and in critical condition. Justin Wilson was hit in the head yesterday by debris from a wreck in front of him. It knocked him out cold which in turn sent his car head first into the wall. Obvious concern for Justin but also for the sport since a second on-track death in four years could really damage the sport.

The connection to Tony Stewart: he loaned his plane/pilots free of charge to Justin's family memebers to fly from Indy to Pennsylvania, where Justin is hospitalized.

Not to sound morbid, but damage it how? Unless you mean by lawyers,I don't see it. People tune in to see crashed, the drivers live to drive (even if it kills them) so I don't see them willingly stopping.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 24, 2015 -> 08:10 AM)

Pronounced dead officially.

Not to sound morbid, but damage it how? Unless you mean by lawyers,I don't see it. People tune in to see crashed, the drivers live to drive (even if it kills them) so I don't see them willingly stopping.

As a result of the deaths/injuries, they are either going to have to 1) slow the cars down or 2) stop racing at certain tracks, in order to avoid the worst crashes. Doing either of those things will drive ratings down, when they're already pretty low.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 25, 2015 -> 07:24 AM)
As a result of the deaths/injuries, they are either going to have to 1) slow the cars down or 2) stop racing at certain tracks, in order to avoid the worst crashes. Doing either of those things will drive ratings down, when they're already pretty low.

I dont know that either of the above two suggestions would have prevented what happened to Wilson, that was such a freak occurrence.

I dont know that either of the above two suggestions would have prevented what happened to Wilson, that was such a freak occurrence.

Either of the two above suggestions would reduce the overall number of crashes, which greatly decreases the chance of what happened.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 25, 2015 -> 07:41 AM)
Either of the two above suggestions would reduce the overall number of crashes, which greatly decreases the chance of what happened.

I doubt it, there is crashes in car racing, its part of the deal. I also doubt anything is done

I doubt it, there is crashes in car racing, its part of the deal. I also doubt anything is done

Almost half of the cars in this race crashed out. That's not the kind of rate that should be happening.

This is IndyCar's dilemma:

The high horsepower needed to make the road course races interesting also makes many of the oval course races dangerous. Most teams can't afford to have engines of differing horsepowers in order to optimize both types of races, so they've been running the ovals with engines that induce many more crashes than normal.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 25, 2015 -> 07:48 AM)
Almost half of the cars in this race crashed out. That's not the kind of rate that should be happening.

This is IndyCar's dilemma:

The high horsepower needed to make the road course races interesting also makes many of the oval course races dangerous. Most teams can't afford to have engines of differing horsepowers in order to optimize both types of races, so they've been running the ovals with engines that induce many more crashes than normal.

Don't run ovals then? They're boring anyway.