Ebola in the USA

greg775

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 6, 2014 -> 09:18 AM)
How many non-stop flights are there from sub-Saharan Africa to the US, anyway?

Without looking, I'm pretty sure there are some into Dulles and Atlanta from Ghana and Senegal. When I was looking into going to South Africa for the WC back in 2010 I seem to recall a lot of stops there.

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 4, 2014 -> 04:33 AM)
I was feeling more a parody to Back in the USSR. But we're a syllable short.

So I put my hands up

To my forehead now,

My temperature's 108.

There's throbbin in my head like yeah

Movin' my eyes around yeah

I'm throwin up,

The room's spinnin' round

I don't really feel OK

Yeah, it's Ebola in the USA

Yeah, it's Ebola in the USA

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 6, 2014 -> 08:46 AM)
But that was not what was advocated.

Just the fact that certain bans have occurred shows that while he tends to take things too far (it's what he does), it's not out of the realm of sanity to be careful when it comes to something like this.

I don't trust customs or the TSA (or most security measures related to the US airline industry) to do much that could prevent this from spreading, be it in this country or whatever variations exist in other countries. Answering some questionnaire is just ... not a valid safety measure if you ask me when talking about something with a multi-week incubation period.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 6, 2014 -> 08:50 AM)

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 6, 2014 -> 08:54 AM)
"You mean like what British Airways and Gulf carrier Emirates did?"

Derp.

To your smarmy reply: Those airlines actually banned flights, just not to the extent Trump requested...you even posting that as a reply/comparison to my original reply is you basically saying I'm advocating executions now.

Asshat.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Oct 6, 2014 -> 11:32 AM)
Just the fact that certain bans have occurred shows that while he tends to take things too far (it's what he does), it's not out of the realm of sanity to be careful when it comes to something like this.

I don't trust customs or the TSA (or most security measures related to the US airline industry) to do much that could prevent this from spreading, be it in this country or whatever variations exist in other countries. Answering some questionnaire is just ... not a valid safety measure if you ask me when talking about something with a multi-week incubation period.

I agree. Obviously the Donald is an extremist, but I think there should be some tougher and stricter measure of coming into this country from those infected areas right now.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Oct 6, 2014 -> 08:35 AM)
I agree. Obviously the Donald is an extremist, but I think there should be some tougher and stricter measure of coming into this country from those infected areas right now.

I was in China for a bit during the initial outburst of swine flu (or one of those things). If you had a fever, you weren't flying/coming into the country, and when we were at the airport going through customs, they actually were checking people's temperatures. Not sure if that was done all over the place or if it was just being done at select times. Of course I think I only remember getting checked on my way in, on my way out, I don't think they cared. Might be mistaken but you couldn't walk more then 10 feet without seeing some form of sign. My memory might be off a bit, but I remember at least one time either getting checked going through customs in China or leaving China.

Note: This wasn't even at the height of the swine flu fear. I don't want to imagine what it would have been like the first few weeks.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 6, 2014 -> 11:51 AM)
I was in China for a bit during the initial outburst of swine flu (or one of those things). If you had a fever, you weren't flying/coming into the country, and when we were at the airport going through customs, they actually were checking people's temperatures. Not sure if that was done all over the place or if it was just being done at select times. Of course I think I only remember getting checked on my way in, on my way out, I don't think they cared. Might be mistaken but you couldn't walk more then 10 feet without seeing some form of sign. My memory might be off a bit, but I remember at least one time either getting checked going through customs in China or leaving China.

Note: This wasn't even at the height of the swine flu fear. I don't want to imagine what it would have been like the first few weeks.

That will only prevent people that are full on incubated...you can carry the flu for days without showing a single sign, same goes for Ebola.

Having a fever at that moment, or sniffling/sneezing may mean you have the flu, but you can exhibit zero symptoms for days leading to it taking hold, despite being infected.

And for the record, I'm not advocating banning flights to/from anywhere, whatever the CDC says we should do, we should do as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Oct 6, 2014 -> 09:56 AM)
That will only prevent people that are full on incubated...you can carry the flu for days without showing a single sign, same goes for Ebola.

Having a fever at that moment, or sniffling/sneezing may mean you have the flu, but you can exhibit zero symptoms for days leading to it taking hold, despite being infected.

And for the record, I'm not advocating banning flights to/from anywhere, whatever the CDC says we should do, we should do as far as I'm concerned.

I didn't say that worked I just said its been done. I am not a doctor. I thought I had heard that Ebola isn't contagious or maybe it is difficult to pass on until you have the symptons, etc. Not sure if that is the case or not but if it was, then screening, especially those parts and people coming in from those parts would make absolute sense. And at a minimum, at least you are cutting percentages down significantly.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Oct 6, 2014 -> 12:56 PM)

What's worth considering with ebola is that the "containment cost" on the ground every time it gets here is actually fairly small. With something like the measles, a person infected walks into an elevator and 3 hours later that elevator has infected 20 people. With ebola, you need long-term close contact to transmit it and a cleaning step controls it. If hospitals actually follow the CDC's recommendations, then when people come in complaining they're sick and came back from Africa a week ago, there are 2-3 people you need to monitor and 2-3 locations that you need to clean.

The effort you need to contain this is really quite low, all things considered, because of how it is transmitted. The poor performance of the Texas hospital magnified this one case, but even still, Dallas is not shut down.

Unfortunately I can't comment on how much business the U.S. does with western african countries and what the impacts would be if they were cut off from air travel, but there's got to be some math spelling out the balance of costs associated with shutting the doors and how that compares with quarantine costs. If, for example, we banned air travel to/from those countries, that could cost a whole lot of lives by shutting down the travel of medical relief as well.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 6, 2014 -> 12:20 PM)
What's worth considering with ebola is that the "containment cost" on the ground every time it gets here is actually fairly small. With something like the measles, a person infected walks into an elevator and 3 hours later that elevator has infected 20 people. With ebola, you need long-term close contact to transmit it and a cleaning step controls it. If hospitals actually follow the CDC's recommendations, then when people come in complaining they're sick and came back from Africa a week ago, there are 2-3 people you need to monitor and 2-3 locations that you need to clean.

The effort you need to contain this is really quite low, all things considered, because of how it is transmitted. The poor performance of the Texas hospital magnified this one case, but even still, Dallas is not shut down.

Unfortunately I can't comment on how much business the U.S. does with western african countries and what the impacts would be if they were cut off from air travel, but there's got to be some math spelling out the balance of costs associated with shutting the doors and how that compares with quarantine costs. If, for example, we banned air travel to/from those countries, that could cost a whole lot of lives by shutting down the travel of medical relief as well.

Agreed.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 3, 2014 -> 02:48 PM)
There is a wonderful combination of people who don't believe Ebola is real, and those who think that this is vast American conspiracy to kill a bunch of Africans.

Sounds like one of Eric Holder's loony theories

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Oct 8, 2014 -> 11:02 PM)
The guy who had it has died. And apparently a deputy who entered the guy's apartment is now showing symptoms

If so, then this Ebola may be morphing into a condition that can be spread in more ways than trading of bodily fluids. Hmmm....

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 9, 2014 -> 02:27 PM)
How would the deputy get it then if he merely was in the guy's apartment checking it out?

Guy leaves body fluids in apartment, deputy gets exposed somehow.

It's not even proven that the deputy has ebola.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 9, 2014 -> 04:21 PM)
Guy leaves body fluids in apartment, deputy gets exposed somehow.

It's not even proven that the deputy has ebola.

Actually there were strong statements today saying he does not have it. He had flu like symptoms that have now passed.

That is how it was transmitted to the nurse infected in spain. She apparently did a poor job of decontaminating her gloves, removed them, and touched her face.