What to do with Rodon?

Quin

The Sox are clearly going for it in 2015. If Rodon is one of the five best starters at the end of Spring Training, he needs to be in the rotation. If not, then he needs to start at Charlotte and be on the same schedule at the Sox' #5 starter, so he can be brought up whenever he surpasses the #5.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 09:48 AM)
The Sox are clearly going for it in 2015. If Rodon is one of the five best starters at the end of Spring Training, he needs to be in the rotation. If not, then he needs to start at Charlotte and be on the same schedule at the Sox' #5 starter, so he can be brought up whenever he surpasses the #5.

The problem with that is isn't going to be able to jump from 120-140 innings to 200+. Starting him in the bullpen or easing his workload in Charlotte would keep him fresh for the 2nd half of the season.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 10:54 AM)
Lots of days off, skip him a couple times.

2012 convinced me this isn't the best thing to do for a team in contention. Taxes the rest of your rotation and your bullpen, makes everyone else seem weaker, and maybe worst of all it winds up with the whole rotation burning out in September. Maybe we're strong enough to do it now since we have a deeper rotation, but ask yourself this - if Rodon is one of the 5 best starters, do you want him pitching in September or do you want him taking lots of games off in September and October?

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 09:54 AM)
Lots of days off, skip him a couple times.

He pitched 122.2 innings last year, between college and the minors. Not sure exactly how hard they want to push him, but I would say 160-180 would be realistic.

Edited by southside hitman

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 06:21 AM)
With Robertson and Samardzjia on the team now, what's the plan with Rodon?

Does anyone else think that if he pitches well enough in Spring Training to earn a rotation spot, the Sox start him in the rotation as he might provide the best shot at the playoffs or wait to try and delay his clock?

I think we let him start in the minors, however, if you put him in the pen and think he can still develop his secondary stuff, etc, then I am okay with it, as long as the goal is to stretch him out so that he's starting by mid-season. The reason I say that is, no matter what, we aren't going to let Rodon go 200 innings, so we have a lot of luxury in how we handle his innings, imo, and if you let him start the year in the pen and slowly stretch him out, you kind of by nature will limit his innings and # of starts so that you can keep him on a somewhat normal progression.

Still...all that said, my preference is let him pitch to earn a starting job. If he does, awesome, if he doesn't, let him get his work in the minors. Injuries, etc, happen and it is nice and crucial to have depth.

It seems the Sox are trying to move Danks, but if that doesn't happen then this is what happens next season. Your rotation is set. Nothing Rodon can do to change that unless Noesi absolutely lays an egg in Spring Training.

You have a couple of months to see what you have in Danks and Noesi. I know a lot have soured on Johnny, but I still believe he can be a good #4/#5 type (maybe a little overpaid but oh well). Noesi also shows promise and definitely deserves a shot to see what he can give us. You have Rodon continue to adjust to life as a professional baseball player, without thrusting him into the spotlight.

If Danks or Noesi suck or someone gets injured, you use someone else until Rodons correct arbitration clock time. If our rotation is SOLID, and we are contending, bring up Rodon in the bullpen. If our rotation is solid but for some reason we are not contending, let Rodon finish the season in the minors accumulating innings.

That's my two cents.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 09:24 AM)
I think it's extremely unlikely Rodon has any shot of pitching his way onto the roster in spring training. The fact that he's never pitched more than 130 innings in a season ought to have told us that anyway, even if he'd made the roster we'd be in the "do we shut him down now" mess.

I don't think this should change the plans for him at all. He starts in AA/AAA, pitches as a starter, comes up if there's an injury or when he's clearly ready, better than everyone down there, and better than whatever we have in slots 4/5 in the rotation. That's what I said a month+ ago and all this does is make it harder for him to have a spot.

I agree

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 09:27 AM)
Some have reported if he spends a couple weeks in Charlotte, it means an extra year of control for the White Sox. If that is true, it probably makes little sense he doesn't spend the first couple weeks in Charlotte.

Yes, this. Basically, you are granted free agency if you end a season with more than 6 years of service time, so if the Sox just give him a couple starts in AAA, he'll end his sixth year with LESS than 6 full years of service time, and so he'll be a Super Two (which was basically added as a hedge against this type of service gaming), but they'll have him for the seventh season since he won't reach 6 years of service until a few weeks into that seventh year.