2015 Recruiting thread

QUOTE (farmteam @ Aug 12, 2015 -> 07:31 PM)
Sounds like he only had mid-major offers, until today.

Yeah, his list of offers until IU was much more like I expected based on what I had seen of him. The ones I had seen were Western MI, UIC, IUPUI, Toledo, Iona, and a couple of others in that league.

The IU offer made me scratch me head. He's a good kid from what I understand. He plays hard and has some talent, but I don't see it as Big 10 talent. The last two big timers to come out of our conference were Mitch McGary and Glenn Robinson III. Gelon isn't in that league from what I have seen. Hopefully for him and Indiana, he has made a big leap.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, his list of offers until IU was much more like I expected based on what I had seen of him. The ones I had seen were Western MI, UIC, IUPUI, Toledo, Iona, and a couple of others in that league.

The IU offer made me scratch me head. He's a good kid from what I understand. He plays hard and has some talent, but I don't see it as Big 10 talent. The last two big timers to come out of our conference were Mitch McGary and Glenn Robinson III. Gelon isn't in that league from what I have seen. Hopefully for him and Indiana, he has made a big leap.

IU has lots of players that don't have Big 10 talent.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 13, 2015 -> 09:52 AM)
IU has lots of players that don't have Big 10 talent.

To be fully honest, even as a fully biased observer, he wouldn't be the first guy I would pick out of his conference. He wouldn't be second either. Those other two guys don't have any major offers either.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 13, 2015 -> 12:02 PM)
To be fully honest, even as a fully biased observer, he wouldn't be the first guy I would pick out of his conference. He wouldn't be second either. Those other two guys don't have any major offers either.

Is that kid especially tall? Because IU needs some size.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Sep 7, 2015 -> 09:24 PM)
Xavier Simpson picking his school Wednesday at 130 CT. Probably between Illinois & Wisconsin.

Logic probably points to Wisky, but I just can't see him committing to a retiring Ryan who just started recruiting him 3 weeks ago.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Sep 7, 2015 -> 10:29 PM)
Logic probably points to Wisky, but I just can't see him committing to a retiring Ryan who just started recruiting him 3 weeks ago.

Does Wisconsin have a replacement in line or will the postion be open for applicants? That'd make a difference.

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 8, 2015 -> 06:45 AM)
I believe Ryan will stick around now

I think he sticks around another year, maybe two, but either way he's not going to let it be so clear on when as it has had an impact on their recruiting (and hence the rumors he's staying now).

2 years ago at this time I really thought Groce was the guy after he landed Black and shortly thereafter Snider after doing a solid job with the 2013 class (which hasn't totally panned out but its usually tough to land elite recruits in that first class) and having a good first season at Illinois. With a few exception pretty much everything since has been a disaster and its hard to see him lasting past this year.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Sep 8, 2015 -> 03:25 PM)
2 years ago at this time I really thought Groce was the guy after he landed Black and shortly thereafter Snider after doing a solid job with the 2013 class (which hasn't totally panned out but its usually tough to land elite recruits in that first class) and having a good first season at Illinois. With a few exception pretty much everything since has been a disaster and its hard to see him lasting past this year.

I think they miss the tourney this year and then he's on the hotseat next year. If they don't land some crazy recruiting class and/or make a decent run at the tourney, he'll be gone....or should be. If Thomas is still around, no way he fires both of his major hires. That'd be his death sentence.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 8, 2015 -> 03:30 PM)
I think they miss the tourney this year and then he's on the hotseat next year. If they don't land some crazy recruiting class and/or make a decent run at the tourney, he'll be gone....or should be. If Thomas is still around, no way he fires both of his major hires. That'd be his death sentence.

If he doesn't make the tourney this year he should be fired. Three straight missed tournaments at Illinois is completely unacceptable. He gets a pass on the team 2 years ago because Weber left a garbage roster but there was enough to make the tourney last year and in year 4 you can no longer blame the prior coach.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Sep 8, 2015 -> 03:35 PM)
If he doesn't make the tourney this year he should be fired. Three straight missed tournaments at Illinois is completely unacceptable. He gets a pass on the team 2 years ago because Weber left a garbage roster but there was enough to make the tourney last year and in year 4 you can no longer blame the prior coach.

Agreed. And I think chances are we have a new ad come april. Hell have no reason to be kept around.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 8, 2015 -> 03:49 PM)
Agreed. And I think chances our we have a new ad come april. Hell have no reason to be kept around.

Yep, crazy that we could be cleaning out the main 3 job positions in the athletic department twice in 5 years and that all 6 firings would be completely deserved (well I guess Guenther wasn't actually fired) and in the case of Beckman, Zook, Weber and Guenther I would argue that all of them being fired/leaving was well overdue. Really sad state of affairs for Illinois athletics.