2015 MLB Draft Thread - Discussion - DAY TWO

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

#232 - Casey Schroeder - C - Coastal Carolina

Switch-hitter, Callis and Mayo were just raving about his athleticism. Can't have enough catching in the system.

A couple of prep players that could be interesting names after the 10th: Fitz Stadler, Glenbrook South kid committed to Arizona St. so signability is an issue, John Aiello, switch-hitting SS/3B that had TJS last season seems similar to Trey Michalczewski, & Chris Andritsos, 6'4" righty that has seen his velocity dip this spring but has the projectability and apparently a great mental make-up, also a signability issue.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 03:44 PM)
Why did Hickman fall so far?

The MLB blurb I just read said that he kind of took a step back this season, he couldn't maintain his FB velocity deep into games. They said it was dipping to high 80s. They also mentioned that his slider looked more like a curve this season, he wasn't getting the sharp break he had in the previous season

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 03:45 PM)
Obviously very signable. Mechanics straight forward. Medical or he told teams to f off and he'd only sign with the sox.

Lol, I think your second option is likely it. Last night I was wondering the same thing with Daz somehow making it to the Astros third pick.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 03:55 PM)
Lol, I think your second option is likely it. Last night I was wondering the same thing with Daz somehow making it to the Astros third pick.

Yeah, but Daz did it for the money. Can't see the Sox having too much money to give him. Could be more to do with the fact he had a 5.55 K/9 and 4.48 BB/9 this year.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 03:53 PM)
The MLB blurb I just read said that he kind of took a step back this season, he couldn't maintain his FB velocity deep into games. They said it was dipping to high 80s. They also mentioned that his slider looked more like a curve this season, he wasn't getting the sharp break he had in the previous season

Thanks KyYIE23. I'm curious to see if the Sox continue to start him or move him into a relief role.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 09:48 PM)
Athletic switch hitter with arm strength, but has to work on his receiving skills. Can hit from both sides of the plate w/more power from right side of the plate. Callis liked the pick. I like the pick.

excellent defense at catching. on his overall skill of receiving, good to very good.

really need help in batting.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 10:08 PM)
Where are you getting that from?

i google it and found several post. one of which stated he moved to catching from the infield. he worked extra hard and his coach has nothing but great things to say about how much he worked on his defense.

hitting is another issue.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 04:00 PM)
Thanks KyYIE23. I'm curious to see if the Sox continue to start him or move him into a relief role.

BA Article from 2014

"Schroeder transitioned from infielder to catcher in high school in hopes of increasing his draft stock, and he spent two years at Polk State (Fla.) JC. The Athletics drafted him in the 14th round this June, but he opted to transfer to Coastal Carolina for his junior year. Defensively, his blocking and receiving are strong, but he needs to improve his footwork to ensure smoother transfers and lower pop times. At the plate, the switch-hitter struggled this summer, hitting .236 between the regular season and playoffs. He needs to improve his pitch recognition, but he has strength in his 6-foot-2, 210-pound frame."

Edited by wsiskel

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 04:15 PM)
Wouldn't say he struggled hitting just because his batting average was .230. His BABIP was .221 and he walked a ton and hit for power.

That doesn't sound right. How do you have a higher batting average than BABIP?