Mariners working on deal for Ozuna

Bigsoxhurt35

Those who want him maybe disappointed

Crasnick: Mariners working on deal for Ozuna

ESPN's Jerry Crasnick reports that the Mariners are working on a trade to acquire Marcell Ozuna.

Ozuna has fallen out of favor in Miami, as he's apparently in owner Jeffrey Loria's doghouse. The 25-year-old outfielder hit only .259/.308/.383 with 10 homers and 44 RBI in 2015 and spent time in the minors. However, he batted .269/.317/.455 with 23 bombs and 85 RBI in 2014 and is not yet arbitration-eligible, so there's obvious appeal. Crasnick says the Marlins are looking for a young starter in exchange for Ozuna.

Source: Jerry Crasnick on TwitterNov 24 - 9:52 PM

Player Outlook

Game Log

Career Stats

Draft Advice

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 24, 2015 -> 09:29 PM)
MLB Daily Dish ‏@mlbdailydish 4m4 minutes ago

Update: The Marlins are reportedly looking at Roenis Elias and Nate Karns: http://www.mlbdailydish.com/2015/11/24/979...ns-rumors-ozuna

If that's the price....I don't know how were not involved.

Agreed. It's possible the Sox have checked in but nothing has leaked or the Sox might not be interested if they feel Thompson can become an every day outfielder.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 24, 2015 -> 09:25 PM)
I would imagine Taijuan Walker is in the mix.

???

The Mariners would trade their best young starter for a hitter with a .691 OPS and a career .311 OBP?

As for Montas and Johnson, the Sox haven't had much trouble finding sub .700 OPS hitters on their own without having to trade for it.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 24, 2015 -> 09:29 PM)
MLB Daily Dish ‏@mlbdailydish 4m4 minutes ago

Update: The Marlins are reportedly looking at Roenis Elias and Nate Karns: http://www.mlbdailydish.com/2015/11/24/979...ns-rumors-ozuna

If that's the price....I don't know how were not involved.

That's two big league starters right there, for a guy who was demoted to the minors last year. A pretty steep price if you ask me.

Mlbtraderumors is making it sound like Miami is balking at Elias and Karns and want Walker....which seems crazy to me. I just don't trust Ozuna. I don't know enough about his D, but if he's not at least well above average in the corners and average in CF I don't see why he'd be such a commodity. I hope we are trying to go in the opposite direction of guys who K 25+% of the time and can't maintain a .320 obp.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 24, 2015 -> 09:47 PM)
???

The Mariners would trade their best young starter for a hitter with a .691 OPS and a career .311 OBP?

"Frisaro tweets that while he hasn’t confirmed anything, he gets the sense that the Marlins covet Walker. However, he adds that the Marlins also aren’t going to give away Ozuna’s potential 30-homer bat in exchange for Elias, thus suggesting that if a trade is ultimately reached, it will be substantial in nature."

All I said was I would imagine Walker's name is involved. Easy to see their interest since they have been rumored to be looking for a #2 in return for Ozuna. Last I read,Walker still carries #2 potential and a young pitcher like him is typical of what the Marlins would ask for so their interest in Walker is no surprise. Does not mean the deal happens or that Walker is traded.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 25, 2015 -> 01:40 PM)
"Frisaro tweets that while he hasn’t confirmed anything, he gets the sense that the Marlins covet Walker. However, he adds that the Marlins also aren’t going to give away Ozuna’s potential 30-homer bat in exchange for Elias, thus suggesting that if a trade is ultimately reached, it will be substantial in nature."

All I said was I would imagine Walker's name is involved. Easy to see their interest since they have been rumored to be looking for a #2 in return for Ozuna. Last I read,Walker still carries #2 potential and a young pitcher like him is typical of what the Marlins would ask for so their interest in Walker is no surprise. Does not mean the deal happens or that Walker is traded.

i have read some articles yesterday and this line keeps popping up. it is driving me crazy on how people want to use phrases for dramatic flair.

it is like saying eaton has the potential to be a 20 hrs and 30 sb player.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 25, 2015 -> 08:03 AM)
i have read some articles yesterday and this line keeps popping up. it is driving me crazy on how people want to use phrases for dramatic flair.

That brings up a question I've been wondering. Does everyone on here think that Eaton is the guy we saw last year where he can hit around 15 homers a year or more of the guy we saw 2 years ago. Having him be the guy who can hit 15 homers would be a plus in center, but also wouldn't hurt if he had to move to left.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 25, 2015 -> 02:40 PM)
That brings up a question I've been wondering. Does everyone on here think that Eaton is the guy we saw last year where he can hit around 15 homers a year or more of the guy we saw 2 years ago. Having him be the guy who can hit 15 homers would be a plus in center, but also wouldn't hurt if he had to move to left.

while this is a good question, i am a little different in my outlook on this.

and to be brutally honest, i really don't give a oot on this, as long as he gets on based as much as he can, hit in 140+ while k'ing less than 80, then i am fine.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 25, 2015 -> 08:47 AM)
while this is a good question, i am a little different in my outlook on this.

and to be brutally honest, i really don't give a oot on this, as long as he gets on based as much as he can, hit in 140+ while k'ing less than 80, then i am fine.

Yeah the power numbers aren't concerning since he's a leadoff hitter but it's nice to have some pop at a position that usually doesn't have it. Especially in this power deprived lineup.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 25, 2015 -> 08:03 AM)

I can see where the 30 HR potential comes from with Ozuna based on his physical size, youth and that he has hit 23 HR's in a season before so 7 more HR's isn't too far of a stretch over a 162 game season. Certainly doesn't mean he will though. Ozuna does possess the potential for 30 HR's but Loria is using it as a marketing gimmick to help better the return in a trade which is pretty funny since Ozuna just finished a season in which he hit only 10. :lol:

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 25, 2015 -> 04:13 PM)
I can see where the 30 HR potential comes from with Ozuna based on his physical size, youth and that he has hit 23 HR's in a season before so 7 more HR's isn't too far of a stretch over a 162 game season. Certainly doesn't mean he will though. Ozuna does possess the potential for 30 HR's but Loria is using it as a marketing gimmick to help better the return in a trade which is pretty funny since Ozuna just finished a season in which he hit only 10. :lol:

i too understand and by all mean i do not want this to come out snarky but he hit 23 hrs in 620 + at bats..... how many more will he need to reach 30???? there is not enuf at bats to do this.

but as you said marketing.....