2016 Democratic Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (brett05 @ Oct 7, 2016 -> 09:42 AM)
I have stated that Hillary won the debate. Joe American thinks Trump has. Trump's only goal was to look Presidential and for the most part he did that. This Sunday will be very interesting as Trump continues to close leads on Hillary.

Do you polls, bro?

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 7, 2016 -> 03:59 PM)
Given the deluge of stories coming out already, and given that it's only 10/7, my guess is they've got recordings of Trump saying much, much worse than even that.

edit: October Surprise is more like October Advent Calendar this year

Trump camp's response is, uh,

aq2dYbE.jpg

lol Ryan's timing this campaign has been impeccable.

oh maybe he's going with to stop Trump from grabbing women "by the p****"

Speaker Paul Ryan condemned Trump as well and announced the nominee would no longer attend a high-profile scheduled event with Ryan and Priebus in Wisconsin on Saturday.

"I am sickened by what I heard today," he said. "Women are to be championed and revered, not objectified. I hope Mr. Trump treats this situation with the seriousness it deserves and works to demonstrate to the country that he has greater respect for women than this clip suggests."

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 7, 2016 -> 09:08 PM)
Speaker Paul Ryan condemned Trump as well and announced the nominee would no longer attend a high-profile scheduled event with Ryan and Priebus in Wisconsin on Saturday.

"I am sickened by what I heard today," he said. "Women are to be championed and revered, not objectified. I hope Mr. Trump treats this situation with the seriousness it deserves and works to demonstrate to the country that he has greater respect for women than this clip suggests."

That's such bulls***. Anybody with half a brain cell and no political agenda isn't surprised by anything released today. This is who Trump has always been. I really need a 3rd party I can join.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 7, 2016 -> 05:51 PM)
I dunno...is this really surprising to anyone? It honestly does nothing for me.

Now when things come out like this for someone that you would have never expected...Tiger Woods, for instance, then this is news.

The Donald...par for the course.

Btw, I do actually think it should be discounted due to the nature of the recordings. A lot of men speak like this around other men they are trying to impress.

I mean I definitely though the same way about Trump before this. This is just proof.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 7, 2016 -> 09:35 PM)
That's such bulls***. Anybody with half a brain cell and no political agenda isn't surprised by anything released today. This is who Trump has always been. I really need a 3rd party I can join.

This is specifically why that party voted for him. This is what they mean when they complain that they're required to be too politically correct and that's a problem.

Shorter Paul Ryan: "Donald Trump is too disgusting to come to Wisconsin but I believe he is the right person to lead the free world".

Direct quote from Mike Pence 2 hours after tape was released: "When he does his talking, he doesn't go tiptoeing around all those thousands of rules of political correctness"

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Oct 7, 2016 -> 07:18 PM)
Bill Clinton said worse on the golf course! Call Sean Hannity, he was there too!

More or less the official response of the Trump campaign.

Once again, Bill Clinton is not running for president.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 8, 2016 -> 08:06 AM)
The worst part isn't even the crude language, it's the admission that he sexually assaults women seemingly regularly.

Well, this is taking it a bit far.

And I know this won't be a popular statement, but the women he encounters don't help themselves any by treating him with such reverence and respect because of his power and money. I'm sure you'll say that is victim shaming or whatever the term is, but let's face it, he wouldn't get away with this bs if women weren't falling at his feet all the time.

Melania is a clear example. Let's call a spade a spade here. Do any of us think a woman like that would even be seen with a guy that looked and behaved like the Donald if he was just some middle class regular guy?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 8, 2016 -> 10:04 AM)
Please describe sexual assault as "lewd or insensitive again". Please.

I'd say do it as he describes then try to describe that as just lewd or insensitive for a judge, but you might get Brock Turner's judge.

Check out the #notokay tweets today. It's disgusting.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 8, 2016 -> 11:33 AM)
Well, this is taking it a bit far.

And I know this won't be a popular statement, but the women he encounters don't help themselves any by treating him with such reverence and respect because of his power and money. I'm sure you'll say that is victim shaming or whatever the term is, but let's face it, he wouldn't get away with this bs if women weren't falling at his feet all the time.

Melania is a clear example. Let's call a spade a spade here. Do any of us think a woman like that would even be seen with a guy that looked and behaved like the Donald if he was just some middle class regular guy?

No, it's what he's admitted to and women have accused him of in lawsuits before.

And that sort of victim blaming shouldn't be popular. It doesn't matter how those women might respond to wealth or fame- it doesn't give someone like Trump carte blanch to sexually assault them, which is what he describes doing is. And you don't need to be as wealthy as Trump to get away with this, balta already referenced the Stanford swimmer case.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 8, 2016 -> 09:52 AM)
No, it's what he's admitted to and women have accused him of in lawsuits before.

And that sort of victim blaming shouldn't be popular. It doesn't matter how those women might respond to wealth or fame- it doesn't give someone like Trump carte blanch to sexually assault them, which is what he describes doing is. And you don't need to be as wealthy as Trump to get away with this, balta already referenced the Stanford swimmer case.

No, it doesn't. You are absolutely correct. But there are a whole lot of women enabling him which is just a fact, and that needs to be part of the discussion.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 8, 2016 -> 11:57 AM)
No, it doesn't. You are absolutely correct. But there are a whole lot of women enabling him which is just a fact, and that needs to be part of the discussion.

I really don't see how it does.

Here's some more background on this story.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/dona...-hot-mic-936343

It's about a women who rejected Trump's gross advances rather than enabled him, and now multiple other women who are coming forward or who already have come forward who were on the receiving end of the same sort of behavior in the past.

Radley Balko @radleybalko

Maybe the Central Park 5 could take out a full-page ad to condemn the coddling of thug real estate barons who commit serial sexual assault.

11:53 AM - 8 Oct 2016

A decent number of Republicans are now unendorsing/saying they won't support or vote for Trump.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 8, 2016 -> 10:04 AM)
I really don't see how it does.

Here's some more background on this story.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/dona...-hot-mic-936343

It's about a women who rejected Trump's gross advances rather than enabled him, and now multiple other women who are coming forward or who already have come forward who were on the receiving end of the same sort of behavior in the past.

Well, I suspect part of the reason he and other men with money and power do this is because it works. He says so himself in the recording. "When you're a star, they'll let you do anything." I would like to amend part of what I said before, in that this isn't just something women enable, but humans enable. Women in power do this as well with men of lesser social or economic status. The powerful will utilize their position to exploit those with less. It is a fact of life.

I don't think it rises to the statement you made earlier though. I haven't read all the lawsuits, but I don't think this is a case like Bill Cosby. This is unseemly behavior, which is very much a part of the underbelly of wealth and power, that shockingly, a man with wealth and power has engaged in previously.

I fully agree with you that the guy is a dirtbag and a slime ball. But if you haven't already figured this out, I just have to wonder about you. I find it more offensive that it takes this news...something that puts the spotlight back on his supporters to justify their support for him, that causes them to back away from him. That, to me, is worse because it shows that only when you are forced to become uncomfortable about that support will you back away from it, rather than backing away from it because you know it's wrong and you know he has a major character deficit.

Ayotte looks ridiculous.

I feel like the redemption of the Republican Party is going to come from Utah. Though Huntsman looks like an idiot. There's so much that we've known about this, how could this be a surprise? I agree with Barro though that one of the bigger things this shows is his lack of shame, talking like this while mic'd with a tv personality he just met. It's not like he was bugged in a locker room.

But, we already know that in a sworn affidavit Ivana accused him of raping her in a rage over hairplug surgery mishap. If this was the straw you are just blowing in the wind.

Shack I think there is a significant and distinct difference from powerful or star males who use their fame to have sex with lots of women, and assume all women will have sex with them, and forcing yourself on everyone and just expecting they'll accept. Many celebs cheat on their spouses a lot, but how many have as poor of a reputation as trump or trail of harassment stories?