**2016 TV Watercooler Thread**

Brian

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 18, 2016 -> 01:10 AM)
So here is why stranger things is so awesome. It's an 80's horror movie but 8 hours long. Netflix allows them to really draw out the story

one of the many reasons why it is awesome

• Replies 926
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 18, 2016 -> 01:10 AM)
So here is why stranger things is so awesome. It's an 80's horror movie but 8 hours long. Netflix allows them to really draw out the story

I really enjoyed it. Probably my favorite show of the year thus far.

My only small gripe is that I feel the last 2 episodes were rushed. They had such a good, slow build over the first 6 episodes, and then it all concluded very quickly.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Aug 22, 2016 -> 11:04 AM)
I really enjoyed it. Probably my favorite show of the year thus far.

My only small gripe is that I feel the last 2 episodes were rushed. They had such a good, slow build over the first 6 episodes, and then it all concluded very quickly.

I kind of liked how it felt rushed as it heightened the anxiety. Overall I love the TV/streaming model of taking a movie concept and developing it over a season.

QUOTE (Tony @ Aug 22, 2016 -> 11:17 AM)
I sort of know what you're saying, but I feel like they had to walk a very fine line. You start getting into 10 episode territory, things may start to drag. It's a tough thing to figure out what that perfect amount is.

The show really felt like a long movie, so I think the length was probably right.

I actually thought the pacing was the most amazing part of the show.

At some point the kids hiding a girl in their basement when bad people with everything at their disposal know about it, you can't string that along. We were introduced to everything at a perfect pace, once you know all of it, you gotta get it done. The scene where they find him and he's flashing back to his daughter, that was just excellent. Topped the "please don't tell me that's the kid" scene.

My wife and I just finished the second season of Bloodline the other night. Not sure what they are planning for season 3 but I'm looking forward to it.

There were a few things that bothered me.

It seems rather unrealistic that the farmer guy had surveillance footage from 6 months ago. These are cameras that run 24/7. That is an absolute massive amount of data. I doubt most business go back more than a few weeks. Maybe a month max. Not 6 months.

Why in the world did Meg leave Kevin at Marco's house? She drove him there because he can't drive. No truck, no license. So she just left him there and went to talk to their mom?

Kevin is way too impulsive. There's no way he doesn't get caught for murdering Marco. They can narrow down the time frame to 20 mins considering he was on the phone with Eric literally seconds before and said he'd be there in 20 mins. I've always thought that he'd be the one to spill the beans.

So I really enjoy Halt and Catch Fire. I never watched season 1 but season 2 and start of 3 is an enjoyable show with good characters.

It has next to no viewers but they are able to do it cheaply enough in atlanta.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 31, 2016 -> 09:13 AM)
Stranger Things finally, officially picked up for a second season(summer 2017). One more episode than this season

There should be ELEVEN episodes. See what I did there?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 31, 2016 -> 09:13 AM)
Stranger Things finally, officially picked up for a second season(summer 2017). One more episode than this season

I like it but I also kind of liked it as a stand alone. It was borderline perfect.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 31, 2016 -> 09:35 AM)
I like it but I also kind of liked it as a stand alone. It was borderline perfect.

I was going to say the same. I know they left it open but I didn't really need another season. Season 2s is how mr. robot turns into that.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 31, 2016 -> 09:19 AM)
So I really enjoy Halt and Catch Fire. I never watched season 1 but season 2 and start of 3 is an enjoyable show with good characters.

It has next to no viewers but they are able to do it cheaply enough in atlanta.

I feel like I would enjoy the show as well if I ever actually sat down and watched it. Just haven't found the time yet.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Aug 31, 2016 -> 09:50 AM)
I feel like I would enjoy the show as well if I ever actually sat down and watched it. Just haven't found the time yet.

The good news is you can skip the first season and not really miss a beat!

QUOTE (RegionSox @ Aug 31, 2016 -> 08:24 AM)
Stranger Things is officially renewed by Netflix for season 2

They should do it American Horror Show style where each season pretty much fully stands on its own. Anything else and I think it only goes downhill.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 31, 2016 -> 11:24 AM)
They should do it American Horror Show style where each season pretty much fully stands on its own. Anything else and I think it only goes downhill.

No! This cast rules and they left off where it can continue. AHS is awful since s1. You're just scarred.

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 31, 2016 -> 11:57 AM)
No! This cast rules and they left off where it can continue. AHS is awful since s1. You're just scarred.

Agreed. The style of switching stories each year doesn't seem to work well ala AHS and even an all star cast couldn't save True Detective 2. If Stranger Things get stale they could always flash forward 10-20 years between seasons, load up with new actors playing the same characters and have it come together in the 90's or 2000's. But for now I am definitely interested in a season 2 shortly after where season 1 left off.

They already have all 9 episodes written and titled, so it seems to me they arent flying by the seat of their pants going forward, and they know where its going already. At least it isnt like LOST where the writers were like "well, where do we go now?"