**2016 TV Watercooler Thread**

Brian

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 12:28 PM)
In the valley there is definitely the "concept" based software companies that would push the platform idea, but there are also companies that have pressure from mui VC's that need to make money or attack the much more lucrative enterprise space. There are companies that would put out that box if only to capture the ENT market before anyone else does.

But can you envision a company saying one or the other? No. If anything making a product AND a platform makes your company more valuable. That whole storyline had some funny bits (slamming his chin on the desk), but ultimately it was too unbelievable.

• Replies 926
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 12:55 PM)
But can you envision a company saying one or the other? No. If anything making a product AND a platform makes your company more valuable. That whole storyline had some funny bits (slamming his chin on the desk), but ultimately it was too unbelievable.

Depends on how quickly you want to exit from being VC funded to be honest. I've worked for several start ups and each one has its own "vision" for the eventual exit whatever that may be. Capturing an enterprise market early with a target solution makes you very attractive for acquisition which is a strategy.

And Richard's vision failed drastically, maybe Jack knew a bit more about what he was doing even if he was a dick about it.

If they had focused on the box they'd be making money most likely already, with the ability to tweak the platform without a rush to market. They may not have the video chat app from Danesh but they'd have a solid stream of cash to support building out a user friendly compression platform.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 09:56 AM)
I thought the finale was kinda lame. Same for the season overall. Just seemed to be treading water with lots of obstacles that magically got resolved. A lot of hilarious moments here and there, but just meh otherwise. I mean, it never, ever made sense to me that a CEO would want to make a box instead of the platform given the excitement around pied piper and the incredible uniqueness of the compression technology. In silicon valley culture that uniqueness is worth way, way, way more than some box to sell. Even the VC lady could see how they would be valued differently.

Also, they need to drop the whole Houli/Gavin Belsen side of the show. That was such a waste/bore this season. Alternatively, I think its a great move to bring Big Head back. He's a great source of comedy.

Yeah this season wasn't as funny as the previous. I don't think they can ever out-do the middle-out handjob algorithm scene ever again. It was more focused on satire in the Valley more than anything.

And as some have alluded to in the thread, there are definitely CEOs who would pursue the box since it's a much safer alternative. Enterprise money is easy money compared to consumer money. Jack Barker is making fun of Steve Ballmer-types. I can definitely see Ballmer pursuing the box since it's safer. He did once say that the iPhone wouldn't amount to anything.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 01:23 PM)
And Richard's vision failed drastically, maybe Jack knew a bit more about what he was doing even if he was a dick about it.

If they had focused on the box they'd be making money most likely already, with the ability to tweak the platform without a rush to market. They may not have the video chat app from Danesh but they'd have a solid stream of cash to support building out a user friendly compression platform.

The problem with Jack's plan was that EndFrame had stolen Richard's algorithm and they were going to market first. It was only after EndFrame figured out that their product wasn't going to be as good (no neural-net) that made Pied Piper the only middle out compression company left. By that time, the box was dead anyhow.

But looking at how PP was perceived in the show as way too technologically advanced for the casual user, I can see how Jack did know what he was doing. He probably perceived the platform as too hard to get for the conventional consumer. But then again, he basically sold out PP's technology to that enterprise company for 5 years. I think had that not happened, the team would have done the box and then did the platform.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 01:38 PM)
The problem with Jack's plan was that EndFrame had stolen Richard's algorithm and they were going to market first. It was only after EndFrame figured out that their product wasn't going to be as good (no neural-net) that made Pied Piper the only middle out compression company left. By that time, the box was dead anyhow.

But looking at how PP was perceived in the show as way too technologically advanced for the casual user, I can see how Jack did know what he was doing. He probably perceived the platform as too hard to get for the conventional consumer. But then again, he basically sold out PP's technology to that enterprise company for 5 years. I think had that not happened, the team would have done the box and then did the platform.

That's a good call, I had forgotten about selling the tech part, which was just a really stupid decision on Jack's part.

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 05:07 PM)
There wasn't enough Jian Yang.

Errich Bachmannnn this is you as a ollll mannnn

Jin Yang was awesome this season. Seeing him screw with Erlich was hilarious.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 05:52 PM)
Errich Bachmannnn this is you as a ollll mannnn

Jin Yang was awesome this season. Seeing him screw with Erlich was hilarious.

You are not my baby.

Got around to watching the Person of Interest finale last night. What a great show. I've enjoyed every season, but this (unfortunately) short season was the best. It was obviously left open to a spin-off, especially with the group in DC.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Jul 1, 2016 -> 09:44 AM)
For anyone who likes Hard Knocks, Amazon has a similar show on Prime video called All or Nothing that follows the Arizona Cardinals entire 2015 season. Ill probably check it out this weekend and report back.

Is that up? I saw commercials for it.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 10, 2016 -> 11:42 PM)
Mr. Robot Season 2 Ep 1 has leaked.

I can't wait for this season. I watched the season preview and got super excited all over again. The first season was awesome. My hope is that with the big reveal out of the way, they can keep the momentum up.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 11, 2016 -> 11:48 AM)
I did. That was some amazingly well-done, nerve-racking entertainment. I was on the edge of my seat for much of the first episode.

Once he got booked i got in, but he did so much dumb s*** and tried to escape that I was kind of annoyed the whole time. like "Should I be rooting that this guy just escape a murder scene where his new friend just died?"

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 11, 2016 -> 11:59 AM)
I wish I was more excited for Mr Robot, like you guys are.

I liked Season 1 quite a bit when I just went with it, but I have very low confidence they can continue this story in a way that doesn't get extremely convoluted.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 11, 2016 -> 12:45 PM)
I liked Season 1 quite a bit when I just went with it, but I have very low confidence they can continue this story in a way that doesn't get extremely convoluted.

That is what I am afraid of. I loved the first season of 12 Monkey's but the second season has been very meh, almost for the same reason.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 11, 2016 -> 12:45 PM)

Early reviews of the first 5 episodes say that season 2 is just absolutely brilliant.

I am stoked.