"Blind" Road Trip

cabiness42

Interesting question that got posed to me on another board:

Suppose that none of the following things existed: GPS; maps (paper or online); any highway signs (route numbers, road names, exit signs, mile markers, directional signs); any signs bearing the name of any state, county or city; billboards

Without all of the above things, and without the ability to ask anybody for any help, what is the farthest specific point from your home that you are confident you could drive to without making any wrong turns?

Assume you can split up the trip so that you are always driving in daylight if that helps.

I think I could make it to a point in Wisconsin about 700 miles from home.

Edited by HickoryHuskers

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 13, 2016 -> 03:19 PM)

Suppose that none of the following things existed: GPS; maps (paper or online); any highway signs (route numbers, road names, exit signs, mile markers, directional signs); any signs bearing the name of any state, county or city; billboards

Without all of the above things, and without the ability to ask anybody for any help, what is the farthest specific point from your home that you are confident you could drive to without making any wrong turns?

Assume you can split up the trip so that you are always driving in daylight if that helps.

San Francisco or New York City, but that'd be like literally four turns to get on I-80 and then a straight shot so it's kinda cheating.

I could make it to Manitowoc/Two Rivers easily but that's not especially far.

Edited by StrangeSox

San Francisco or New York City, but that'd be like literally four turns to get on I-80 and then a straight shot so it's kinda cheating.

How many times does I-80 have a split with another interstate on the way, and do you know whether I-80 goes left or right at that split without signs???

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 13, 2016 -> 03:30 PM)
How many times does I-80 have a split with another interstate on the way, and do you know whether I-80 goes left or right at that split without signs???

I know which way to go until you get to SLC, I guess then it gets pretty messy looking at the maps so that would have probably thrown me off.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 13, 2016 -> 03:19 PM)

New Orleans. Go west until you hit the big river. Turn left, keeping the river on your right, and go until you hit a really big body of water (not the floods near st. Louis).

Edited by ptatc

I-80 purposefully avoids major cities (other than NYC, Chicago and SF). Doesn't break off too much because E of Chicago almost all of it is toll road. Sometimes it loops around or bypasses, but that doesnt matter. Example: coming W on 80 towards Council Bluffs 80 splits into 480. But 480 brings you right back to 80, it's just like 5 miles out of the way.

You may screw it up at Echo UT where it splits with 84, but then youll wind up in Portland/Seattle and can just head S on 101 to wherever you want on the coast.

Philly - 183 to 422 to 76

Atlantic City and Jersey Shore - 183 to 422 to 76 to AC Expressway

Pittsburgh - 78 to Turnpike to 322

Allentown - 78 to 22

Buffalo/Niagra Falls - 183 to Rochester, then west on whatever road that is

Baltimore/Washington/all points south to Miami - 183 to 422 to 76 to I95

I can easily find all of these roads without road signs

But I could not get to Chicago.