DC Films

Boopa1219

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Aug 2, 2016 -> 07:37 PM)
Yeah no.

Oh my bad, your opinion only matters.

In my meaningless opinion, it shouldn't take a 4 hour directors cut for a movie to make sense. Seems I'm not the only one

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 2, 2016 -> 07:38 PM)
Oh my bad, your opinion only matters.

In my meaningless opinion, it shouldn't take a 4 hour directors cut for a movie to make sense. Seems I'm not the only one

No, I don't disagree with you on that point. I most definitely agree it was rushed, but that being said I still enjoyed it. I believe this was kind of in hindsight to "playing catchup" to Marvel at the box office, where DC kind of sat back for years as Marvel Studios rolled out films and gained momentum, they kind of decided to jump in the deep end in an attempt to get in on the action before the genre burns itself out (which they all eventually do).

And this is what I mean by condescension from you Marvel fanboys, and it's obvious that's what you all are. I never said your opinion doesn't matter. I never said you had to love BvS. I'm merely pointing out how flawed RT is, and question why people follow it like gospel (as shown they do in this thread), because you know, it's a, consensus of hundreds of "critics"...and I put critics in quotes for a reason.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Aug 2, 2016 -> 07:44 PM)
No, I don't disagree with you on that point. I most definitely agree it was rushed, but that being said I still enjoyed it. I believe this was kind of in hindsight to "playing catchup" to Marvel at the box office, where DC kind of sat back for years as Marvel Studios rolled out films and gained momentum, they kind of decided to jump in the deep end in an attempt to get in on the action before the genre burns itself out (which they all eventually do).

And this is what I mean by condescension from you Marvel fanboys, and it's obvious that's what you all are. I never said your opinion doesn't matter. I never said you had to love BvS. I'm merely pointing out how flawed RT is, and question why people follow it like gospel (as shown they do in this thread), because you know, it's a, consensus of hundreds of "critics"...and I put critics in quotes for a reason.

See, calling me a marvel fanboy is incorrect and condescending coming this way. It's way wrong. I love DC and Marvel comics. i love Marvel movies, but DC has put out nothing worth my time anymore. You can dismiss RT all you want, I don't really care if you don't trust them. Critics are what you make of them, some people loved Ebert and some hated him. I am reading the reviews and what they are picking apart and it is largely the same complaints: starts out pretty good, Will Smith, Jay Hernandez, Margot Robbie are standouts, third act goes completely off the rails and is drags the movie down.

Honestly I don't even know why you come into both the Marvel and DC threads and get mad at us about it, you have said multiple times you don't really like all of the comic movies and wish they would stop making them. I disagree with that too, I love this genre and while there are some stinkers, I'm glad that movie making finally has caught up to comics and allows them to be made faithfully

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 2, 2016 -> 07:53 PM)
See, calling me a marvel fanboy is incorrect and condescending coming this way. It's way wrong. I love DC and Marvel comics. i love Marvel movies, but DC has put out nothing worth my time anymore. You can dismiss RT all you want, I don't really care if you don't trust them. Critics are what you make of them, some people loved Ebert and some hated him. I am reading the reviews and what they are picking apart and it is largely the same complaints: starts out pretty good, Will Smith, Jay Hernandez, Margot Robbie are standouts, third act goes completely off the rails and is drags the movie down.

Honestly I don't even know why you come into both the Marvel and DC threads and get mad at us about it, you have said multiple times you don't really like all of the comic movies and wish they would stop making them. I disagree with that too, I love this genre and while there are some stinkers, I'm glad that movie making finally has caught up to comics and allows them to be made faithfully

Then I apologize. It just seems as of late, at every turn, it's Marvel fanboys that are the loudest ones saying anything negative they can about DC films. Even if you didn't like BvS, and it had it's problems, I get that. The way people are saying things like it's the worst movie ever made is just asinine. So forgive me, but I've come out fighting for DC here...I've enjoyed the movies, and I'm really sick of people going off the deep end on the DC hate.

As for what you said last, I love the genre too, but I think it's been too much too quickly as of late...I'd prefer fewer but better movies.

The Dark Knight I regard as the greatest comic movie ever made. Not Rises, but part 2 of the Nolan trilogy. I follow that with Iron Man 1. I think all others come in behind those two.

I try to be fair...but as of late, I've just come out firing in defense of DC just to "balance" the crazy hate I'm witnessing.

So...again, I apologize to both you and Brian for being so hard headed on this...I just feel like I'm going up agains the world...

I should probably just not bother at this point...but I love talking to you people even if you annoy me from time to time...which I'm sure I do a lot of myself. ;)

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 2, 2016 -> 08:16 PM)
I make no bones about it, Snyder is the bad guy for me. JS will probably come in and argue it later, but he is the KW/Hahn in my eyes. The choices they have made have been terrible and it's carrying over

Of the choices I agree on some and disagree on others.

I've absolutely loved the casting of Gal Gadot and Ben Affleck. I think those two are what sparked off most of the hate and people just don't want to backtrack now. Loved both of them.

Edited by Y2HH

I like Affleck, It just was a strange decision to me to cast a Batman that is significantly older than rest of the Justice League. I mean, he came out of retirement when superman showed up, that's just a odd thing to do. I was skeptical of Gadot but she looks good in the WW trailer. I don't know of many that found Eisenberg to be a good Lex choice(and interpretation). Lex has always been a pretty imposing figure in the comics. Even Hackman had an edge, a competitiveness about him with Superman. He wanted the power.

I still just can't get my head around the fact that Snyder blew through three significant comic storylines in BvS. He put Batman vs Superman, Death in the family, and the Death of Superman in one movie. They still can part out Death in the family and complete it, of course. I agree with what you said about them deciding to rush to catch up to Marvels momentum, it just isn't necessary. We know who these characters are, take your time and give them to us.

In the end, if both marvel and DC are making good movies, competition will make everyone happy.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 2, 2016 -> 09:16 PM)
I like Affleck, It just was a strange decision to me to cast a Batman that is significantly older than rest of the Justice League. I mean, he came out of retirement when superman showed up, that's just a odd thing to do. I was skeptical of Gadot but she looks good in the WW trailer. I don't know of many that found Eisenberg to be a good Lex choice(and interpretation). Lex has always been a pretty imposing figure in the comics. Even Hackman had an edge, a competitiveness about him with Superman. He wanted the power.

I still just can't get my head around the fact that Snyder blew through three significant comic storylines in BvS. He put Batman vs Superman, Death in the family, and the Death of Superman in one movie. They still can part out Death in the family and complete it, of course. I agree with what you said about them deciding to rush to catch up to Marvels momentum, it just isn't necessary. We know who these characters are, take your time and give them to us.

In the end, if both marvel and DC are making good movies, competition will make everyone happy.

I believe that's Alex Luthor, Lex's son. But that said, still too weird for me.

Also, yes, there was a lot going on but there were still aspects of BvS I loved, and others I felt rushed but I didn't let it kill the movie for me. There were aspects of weak writing like "Martha" being the glaring one, and with better writing wouldn't have been a problem, but as I stated I think that's a result of playing from behind.

All said I positively loved Afflecks arkham batman portrayal.

I agree and think DC should have taken their time, but I'll take it.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Aug 2, 2016 -> 07:30 PM)
Here are more exceptions, for your reading pleasure.

Justin Bieber: Never Say Never: CERTIFIED FRESH @64%.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/justin_bie...ever_say_never/

You know what, I'll just leave this here.

http://elitedaily.com/entertainment/batman...perman/1435885/

All of those movies had a higher rating that Batman v Superman. And I'm not saying everyone has to love Batman v Superman -- I personally liked it, especially the directors cut -- but seriously...this list of movies were nowhere near as entertaining as BvS, even if you absolutely hated it because it was too dark or scattered, it was STILL better than f***ing Tobey McGuire's "Emo Spider-Man 3", which was also "certified fresh" at 63%.

I love Star Wars Episode 1. Your argument is invalid.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Aug 2, 2016 -> 07:44 PM)

You're being silly.

There's nothing I want more than the DC universe to have good, compelling, well-done movies. BvS was a steaming pile of s***. It was a movie about two of my favorite superheroes of all-time (including my favorite), and despite the horrific reviews I saw it because I f***ing love Batman and Superman. I knew it couldn't be SO BAD, right?

I was pissed off the entire s***show of a movie.

DC is making crap movies, and I really don't see why. The only saving grace they have right now is that somewhere down the road we're going to get a Batman film written and directed by Ben Affleck, and he's incredibly talented and that movie will rock.

Calm the f*** down and just swallow the fact that these movies are steaming piles of horses***. Jesus H Christ, man. No one can argue against that. They f***ing suck donkey dick.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 3, 2016 -> 11:39 AM)

Sounds like the reshoots to make the movie "more fun" were true and might be part of the problem.

Some rumors around Star Wars: Rogue having reshoots because the movie was too dark and they wanted to lighten it up. Hope that's not the case.

Seems to be the problem is you end up with the movie having two different tones that make it seem like a mess. Just pick one or the other. Darker tone or more upbeat.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Aug 3, 2016 -> 12:05 PM)
Sounds like the reshoots to make the movie "more fun" were true and might be part of the problem.

Some rumors around Star Wars: Rogue having reshoots because the movie was too dark and they wanted to lighten it up. Hope that's not the case.

Seems to be the problem is you end up with the movie having two different tones that make it seem like a mess. Just pick one or the other. Darker tone or more upbeat.

FWIW, re: Rogue One, after that came out it was heavily disputed. It may come back out that report was true, but it was said those re-shoots were scheduled and did not add new material.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Aug 2, 2016 -> 04:47 PM)
Here is a DC based film highlighting everything wrong with Rotten Tomatoes:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_dark_knight_rises/

The Dark Knight Rises is arguably the WORST of the trilogy. It's a flat out bad film. Every time you watch it, it gets worse. Yet somehow, that abomination is rated as 87% favorable. That CANNOT happen on accident. There is NO way that many "critics" reviewed that movie THAT favorably outside of a hive mind mentality.

So your example is Dark Knight Rises which has a Rotten Tomato score of 87%? Right below that score it shows that the average review is an 8 out of 10 from critics. Off in the right column is shows that the average viewer gives it a 4.3 out of 5, or 90%. So what exactly are you trying to prove besides the fact that you personally disliked the movie? The consensus from viewers aligns very closely to the critics.

So, please, let's s***can the condescension as if you're in on some grand Internet secret about how Rotten Tomatoes works, and pretend like you and Sqwert are going to "school me" on it.

And for someone who knows how Rotten Tomatoes works, why was your original comment "F*** Rotten Tomatoes!"? What does that even mean since all they are is an aggregator of reviews? They don't review anything at all. Makes it sound like you don't know what you're talking about.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I kind of liked BvS. It definitely wasn't great by any means, but I thought the overall reviews were unfairly harsh.

Now, the animated Batman movies are actually really good. Have watched four of them over the past week. I believe several of these are on Comcast On Demand right now if you have some of the premium channels. The Dark Knight Returns, Under the Red Hood, & Assault on Arkham all are worth watching, especially if you have never read any of the comics. Looking forward to renting the The Killing Joke this weekend despite somewhat poor reviews.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 3, 2016 -> 06:22 PM)
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I kind of liked BvS. It definitely wasn't great by any means, but I thought the overall reviews were unfairly harsh.

Now, the animated Batman movies are actually really good. Have watched four of them over the past week. I believe several of these are on Comcast On Demand right now if you have some of the premium channels. The Dark Knight Returns, Under the Red Hood, & Assault on Arkham all are worth watching, especially if you have never read any of the comics. Looking forward to renting the The Killing Joke this weekend despite somewhat poor reviews.

Agreed, their animated movies are top notch. I enjoyed Son of Batman, and the Dark knight returns movies

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 3, 2016 -> 04:33 PM)
So your example is Dark Knight Rises which has a Rotten Tomato score of 87%? Right below that score it shows that the average review is an 8 out of 10 from critics. Off in the right column is shows that the average viewer gives it a 4.3 out of 5, or 90%. So what exactly are you trying to prove besides the fact that you personally disliked the movie? The consensus from viewers aligns very closely to the critics.

And for someone who knows how Rotten Tomatoes works, why was your original comment "F*** Rotten Tomatoes!"? What does that even mean since all they are is an aggregator of reviews? They don't review anything at all. Makes it sound like you don't know what you're talking about.

Can we go back to discussing the DCU? After all, this is a DC thread, not a Rotten Tomatoes thread. I've my my point clear that I dislike the website and posted plenty of reasons, examples and links as to why. It's entirely fair if you disagree, too. If you find RT works for you and seems to agree with your own opinions on movies, great.

As for DCU, what do you like or hate about it, if anything? That's what I'm here to discuss...not that "Batman v Superman is so bad it causes cancer and is the worst movie EVER made", like so many of the people ruining this thread come in here to say.

I mean, holy damn, you even got LostFan in here telling y'all this thread sucks. You don't see me in the Marvel thread s***ting on Marvel movies (this isn't directed at you specifically Sqwert, I just mean in general), all I ask is that if you have nothing good to say about DC, or really have any intention of discussing legit complaints, that you please just stop posting here.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 3, 2016 -> 06:22 PM)

I also like BvS, I found it entertaining. There are actually very few superhero movies I "hate", and even that's a strong word for it...I'd probably say, I like them less than others if I'm being fair. Even the worst of them can entertain me from scene to scene. That being said, almost none of them are what I consider "great" films.

There are very few of the genre that transcend the "action based super hero movie" to me and become something more of a "film" versus a popcorn-movie, if that makes any sense. The Dark Knight and Iron Man 1 are both amazing, in my opinion. I rank them in that order, and all other superhero movies come in beneath them. Likely starting with X-Men Days of Futures Past and Deadpool, in no particular order. Loved them both, but for different reasons.

BvS wasn't perfect by any means, but it still entertained me. I could easily say the same about Civil War. I found the first 80% of the movie meaningless, with fight scenes for the sake of fight scenes that really had nothing at stake/no sense of actual danger, but the ending 15 minutes or so with Iron Man going berserk was fantastic.

I do think the genre is becoming overcooked at this point, but I've already said that a number of times...but so long as audiences flock to these movies, they won't stop coming. Kind of like how Transformers movies keep coming...I just cannot understand how people keep going to see those, either.