Stone Interview

Lip Man 1

Saw this on another web site and thought it was interesting. Just wanted to pass it along. The comments/ summery are the original posters:

"Stoney was interviewed by Rongey and Bernstein, Tuesday afternoon show on the Score.. He didn't hold back when asked about where he thinks the Sox are, where they are headed, etc

1) he basically said Robin blew it by sending Robertson out there cold, on 9 days rest on the 7/18 game

2) the Sox are kidding themselves if they think they can acquire hitters and position players from their prospects and mid level free agents to compete for a postseason spot while the "core" is intact, over the next couple of years..the offense as it stands, is no where near the caliper you need to realistic think you have a shot at the postseason, this, or next year

3) he said he knows for a fact JR wants to win...badly... And for that to happen, he's going to have to make some "uncomfortable" decisions and do "whatever it takes"

4) He thought it was a slim to none chance JR is selling .. But given JR's age, he might have to think outside of the box, citing the poor record from 2006 to present and consider, FO personnel changes, if need be

5) there's Teams out there with great farms, and near ready prospects, who need pitching. So don't necessarily shop Sale and Quintana, but listen to all offers. Especially if the budget isn't there for the el primo free agents."

Mark

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jul 20, 2016 -> 01:33 PM)
Saw this on another web site and thought it was interesting. Just wanted to pass it along. The comments/ summery are the original posters:

"Stoney was interviewed by Rongey and Bernstein, Tuesday afternoon show on the Score.. He didn't hold back when asked about where he thinks the Sox are, where they are headed, etc

1) he basically said Robin blew it by sending Robertson out there cold, on 9 days rest on the 7/18 game

2) the Sox are kidding themselves if they think they can acquire hitters and position players from their prospects and mid level free agents to compete for a postseason spot while the "core" is intact, over the next couple of years..the offense as it stands, is no where near the caliper you need to realistic think you have a shot at the postseason, this, or next year

3) he said he knows for a fact JR wants to win...badly... And for that to happen, he's going to have to make some "uncomfortable" decisions and do "whatever it takes"

4) He thought it was a slim to none chance JR is selling .. But given JR's age, he might have to think outside of the box, citing the poor record from 2006 to present and consider, FO personnel changes, if need be

5) there's Teams out there with great farms, and near ready prospects, who need pitching. So don't necessarily shop Sale and Quintana, but listen to all offers. Especially if the budget isn't there for the el primo free agents."

Mark

If he really said Robin blew it sending Robertson out there, I have no respect for Steve Stone. During the game, he said Robertson should be strong, but might have a little problem with control.

And most of these comments don't mesh with the others.

I heard this interview and I really dont recall him saying that Robertson part. These interviews keep getting the telephone game treatment, some guy called in to the Score today and said that Stone told the midday show yesterday that the Sox should absolutely trade Sale.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jul 20, 2016 -> 12:36 PM)
Says JR wants to do "whatever it takes" and then says there may not be room in the budget for "el primo free agents". Lol.

Dunt:

According to the original poster Stone said JR needs to do "whatever it takes."

Mark

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jul 20, 2016 -> 01:33 PM)

Mark

I think Stone nailed it on all accounts (except for Robertson part - he's the closer; that's his job).

Stone for GM!

Edited by GreenSox

I don't know if the other stuff is true or not but I believe the part that JR wants to win now and is the reason why the FO keeps pushing for a winner. Has there ever been an 80 year old owner that went full rebuild on their team?

I love the idea of trading away assets to rebuild and as a fan, yes I would easily endure the growing pains of a youth movement but I just don't think it will happen due to JR's age and desire to have one last winner. The SOX are stuck at the Nexus of the universe with JR.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 20, 2016 -> 07:19 PM)
I don't know if the other stuff is true or not but I believe the part that JR wants to win now and is the reason why the FO keeps pushing for a winner. Has there ever been an 80 year old owner that went full rebuild on their team?

Sure he wants to push for a winner. But Hahn and Williams are doing a lousy job of pushing.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 20, 2016 -> 01:41 PM)
If he really said Robin blew it sending Robertson out there, I have no respect for Steve Stone. During the game, he said Robertson should be strong, but might have a little problem with control.

And most of these comments don't mesh with the others.

I was the original poster on the other site, and what Stone said was that it would have helped Robertson shake off some rust if Robin would have gave him some garbage innings in the LA series. I heard what Stone said during the game and I didn't take it to mean he was contradicting himself at all

Not sure what you mean by "these comments don't mesh with the others" I sense you're just nitpicking and finding fault because you're annoyed with his somewhat negative view of the current Sox situation

I tried to relay to the best of my ability, what Stoney actually said. There was a lot there. The interview is available as a podcast on the Score site for all the skeptics to draw their own conclusions

Edited by captain54

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jul 20, 2016 -> 06:17 PM)
Dunt:

According to the original poster Stone said JR needs to do "whatever it takes."

Mark

In all fairness to JR, Stoney didn't feel like JR absolutely needed to break the bank and spend like a drunken sailor to bring a winner home. Taking a hit on a bad $$$ deal was not something he said the Sox have the financial resources to weather

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 20, 2016 -> 07:19 PM)

I love the idea of trading away assets to rebuild and as a fan, yes I would easily endure the growing pains of a youth movement but I just don't think it will happen due to JR's age and desire to have one last winner. The SOX are stuck at the Nexus of the universe with JR.

Considering the scouting and development you may die before that happens.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Jul 20, 2016 -> 09:09 PM)
Any interview with Sox hater Dan Bernstein is going to have a lot of negativity toward the White Sox.

Stone and Benetti are terribly annoying so among the changes, they both need to go.

Steve Stone should not go anywhere. As a paid employee of the White Sox, coupled with his renowned solid understanding of all aspects of the game both on and off the field, it is always very refreshing to hear his honest appraisals of the Sox. He is both respectful and constructive in his commentary. I was glad he reupped for the foreseeable future in the booth last offseason.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 03:09 AM)
Any interview with Sox hater Dan Bernstein is going to have a lot of negativity toward the White Sox.

Stone and Benetti are terribly annoying so among the changes, they both need to go.

They are annoying but I still find Stone to be among the best analysts I've ever listened to.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Jul 20, 2016 -> 10:09 PM)

Dan Bernstein is a disenchanted White Sox fan. He should be. The organization has been awful for almost a decade.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Jul 20, 2016 -> 10:09 PM)

In case you've missed the last let's say 8 years or so of White Sox baseball things haven't been all "Puppies and Rainbows" on the south side....what is there to really to be positive about with the team at this point?