White Sox Parking- Is my math correct?

jasonxctf

So with the previous attendance thread showing on average, 28,200 people per game... assuming that for every 5 people there is 1 parked car (kids, those who ride the subway, walk, park in outside lots, etc) that means there are approximately 5,640 cars per game. Parking costs $23, take out taxes, say $18 of that is to the Sox.

$18 x 5,640= $101,520 x 81 games= $8,223,120

The Sox make over/approx $8 mil per season just off parking?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 30, 2009 -> 04:30 PM)
Out of curiousity where did you get the $18 profit figure?

I thought I remembered seeing on the receipt/stub that of the $23, approx $5 of it was state/county/city taxes.

The $18 wasn't profit but income. obviously they've got to pay the lot employees, insurance, etc.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 30, 2009 -> 10:30 AM)
Out of curiousity where did you get the $18 profit figure?

I don't think he was trying to figure in the operating expenses, just trying to guess at the after-tax revenue. In fact, it looks like there is a flat $4 tax on parking fees above $12 so he's not far off:

http://www.chicagoparkingmap.com/data/news..._02-01-2009.pdf

that's an interesting question.

if you go to a sox game, there are fixed costs and variable costs that a consumer incurs.

Fixed= Tickets, Parking

Variable= Food, Souveniers

I wonder if there has ever been an analysis showing what the maximum ROI would be. (higher fixed costs and barriers to entry or lower fixed costs and barriers to entry, with the hope of increased inside park spending)

Where's the laffer curve for baseball!!!

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Sep 30, 2009 -> 11:30 AM)
I felt old when I went to my first game in May this year because obviously the raise in parking flew under my radar and when I saw $23 I was outraged. I thought that was a ridiculous jump in cost.

KW never bring this up but Sox make a boatload on it and 23 dollars is a Joke!

You have to ask yourself whether the parking supply and demand curves are efficient. With $23 to park, about $5 of which going for tax, and about 5640 cars parking per game, is the white sox parking being utilized correctly at this price. How many spaces do the sox have at $23 a pop. If they lowered to price to say $16, assume $4 to tax, would they increase demand enough to overtake the loss income of $7 per car. I dont know its all about free market economics. Will lowering the price even encourage more people to park, do people drive or not drive becuase of traffic, parking prices, gas prices, public transit availability; what are the characteristics of the market. You would need to know all this before you can determine what you should price your parking at. Maybe the white sox make the most money off parking at half full lots at $23 a pop than at 3/4 full lots at $18. You just dont know, because we dont have the data and trends.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Sep 30, 2009 -> 12:29 PM)
how much is parking at solider field or the united center?

I went to the Bears Pre-Season game against the Browns. We had a parking pass. If you didn't,wait for it the Price was $70. They might as well made it $100

Edited by soxfan-kwman

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 30, 2009 -> 05:56 PM)
For all of the times that Kenny has gone into detailed accounting of the Sox finances... :lolhitting

When KW bring up I only have 50 cents comments over and over the revenue from parking is part of what he is crying about!

QUOTE (earthshiner @ Sep 30, 2009 -> 10:18 PM)
I believe parking at the metrodome is $8 bucks.

Its $10 here in pittsburgh for Pirates games. Its $12 in florida for marlins. My gut tells me the white sox should be something between $15-$20

KW never bring this up but Sox make a boatload on it and 23 dollars is a Joke!

I feel for you guys who weren't around at Old Comiskey when parking and ticket prices were cheap.

Steinbrenner ruined it for all fans. Used to be baseball was really affordable before he decided to try to sign all good players (and some mediocre ones) at whatever the cost.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 1, 2009 -> 12:37 AM)
I feel for you guys who weren't around at Old Comiskey when parking and ticket prices were cheap.

Steinbrenner ruined it for all fans. Used to be baseball was really affordable before he decided to try to sign all good players (and some mediocre ones) at whatever the cost.

I think the economics of the game were changing long before Steinbrener gave out his first $100 mil contract.

QUOTE (earthshiner @ Sep 30, 2009 -> 07:18 PM)
I believe parking at the metrodome is $8 bucks.

I lived in Minneapolis in 2003. That price for Twins parking seems about right. Vikings was triple that.

Dodger Stadium is $15, but in a stadium that seats over 50,000 in Los Angeles, that means that you have about 25,000 cars.

Angel Stadium is $8. I don't know how Arte Moreno does it, but baseball would be a better place if more people followed his lead.

Last summer when I was there I remember parking at Fenway running about $30-some.

Staples Center for Kings games runs $20 as of last season. I don't give a damn about basketball but I'd imagine with an average ticket running a bill to see the Lakers, parking is marked up as well.

Edited by Drew