Steve Phillips....c'mon now

shawnhillegas

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 04:14 PM)
No doubt...Manny, but we don't have to give up anything to get Bonds (well I guess some of you all assume we'd be giving up our souls to sign Bonds). But if we got Manny I'd be the first person to own his jersey (considering he may be my favorite non White Sox).

I agree with you, Manny is one of the best hitters of all time, a true professional hitter. He would immediately make our lineup the best in baseball hands down.

Think about opposing pitchers trying to face this:

2. Gooch

3. Dye

4. Thome

5. Manny

6. Konerko

7. AJP

8. Crede

That is a ridiculously hard stretch of players to pitch to.

Edited by RockRaines

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is probably going to start a big fight, but if one player makes you immediately turn on an entire organization, then you're not a true fan.

*ducks*

Remember Rodman to the Bulls? I thought AJ would be a huge problem with the Sox because of all the crap he pulled in Minny.

Edited by santo=dorf

If Bonds were to ever don a Sox uni, i'd still root for the team, but would never actually root FOR Bonds. Wouldn't clap, wouldn't cheer, would just hope runs went on the board and we got wins. That's about it. I'm not going to be one of those SF ass-licking fans because he's suddenly on our team.

I hated Rodman as a Piston, but loved him as a Bull.

I mean Frank Thomas was my favorite Sox player of all time, Im no less of a Sox fan since they decided not to bring him back.

Why would I care if they brought in a future HOF and possible all time HR leader?

I dont see how there is an "ethics" argument, when ethically Bonds has never been caught doing anything.

Albert Belle on the other hand used a corked bat against the Sox, and yet we still signed him.

Much ado about nothing.

The only way Bonds makes sense to me is as a DH.

For a team that is meant to be built around pitching and defense, Bonds would be a downgrade on Scott Podsednik defensively, and that's saying something in itself.

If you could trade Thome, and then put Bonds at DH, I wouldn't mind it so much (even though I hate Bonds), but it's never going to happen.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 01:59 PM)
Albert Belle? The first year it didn't work out too great, but the second year, Belle put up one of the greatest single season performances in White Sox history. It's not his fault that the Sox best starting pitcher had a 4.80 ERA... You wanna talk about an awful staff? Look at some of those numbers, and I swear, no one will ever complain about Javy Vazquez ever again.

In his second season, Belle was also arrested for domestic abuse, which made leery fans dislike him even more. He was awesome in the second half of '98, but failed to get the Sox to the playoffs and also failed to put butts in the seats. Oh, and he was out of town after just two seasons and his degenerative hip soon forced him into retirement.

The moral of the story is that spending a ton of money on a power-hitting PR nightmare isn't going to (1) get the Sox closer to a championship or (2) increase revenue significantly. It's a lose-lose scenario.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 02:33 PM)
And I would prefer Bonds to Manny.

Why? Bonds is in the twilight of his career and will certainly miss at least some time with injuries. Barry is also a self-centered ass who goes out of his way to alienate teammates and fans.

Manny is in his mid-30's, but is still highly-productive. And he doesn't have Barry's attitude baggage.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 04:30 PM)
Because we would have to trade for Manny and the Red Sox are going to want talent.

Versus paying Bonds money and giving up nothing.

Except about $18 million and any sense of chemistry and privacy in the clubhouse. Bonds is going to be a clubhouse cancer and will create a massive media circus wherever he goes.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 02:33 PM)
I also would watch the Sox 2x as much to make up for all the people who claim they wouldnt watch.

Why do you have such man-love for this guy? Even if you put aside the steroid use, he's a complete ass who alienates teammates and fans wherever he goes, he's an injury risk, he can't play defense anymore, and he isn't going to produce anywhere near his $18 million tag at the plate.

Bonds isnt going to get $18mil.

Im saying the Sox should be interested if they can get him for under 10.

I dont get your argument about being a cancer etc, because the same has been said about Manram.

I just think Bonds is going to come back and play good baseball. He started to do better at the end of last season once he was healthy again, and I believe that he still has 1-2 years left of producing.

As to the rest, these guys are professionals. I dont know any Sox player who has had an incident with Bonds. I think that he will have a huge chip on his shoulder and playing with a playoff team may be willing to try and show the world.

I just dont see why its such a huge risk in a market that Mathews JR got 10mil

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 08:46 PM)
Bonds isnt going to get $18mil.

Im saying the Sox should be interested if they can get him for under 10.

I dont get your argument about being a cancer etc, because the same has been said about Manram.

I just think Bonds is going to come back and play good baseball. He started to do better at the end of last season once he was healthy again, and I believe that he still has 1-2 years left of producing.

As to the rest, these guys are professionals. I dont know any Sox player who has had an incident with Bonds. I think that he will have a huge chip on his shoulder and playing with a playoff team may be willing to try and show the world.

I just dont see why its such a huge risk in a market that Mathews JR got 10mil

agreed completely

and Bonds has been the ONLY reason the Giants have had any sustained success, and he was easily the biggest reason the nearly won the World Series in 2002.

I'd love Bonds in LF, regardless of his past.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 06:46 PM)

Manram doesn't have his own private room in the clubhouse, outfitted with a big-screen TV and a La-Z-Boy chair. How well do you think that would go over in a clubhouse where the team's captain declined to wear the letter "C" on his jersey because he doesn't want to come off as more important than his teammates? Manram also doesn't get into shoving matches with his teammates in the dugout. And do you think that the Aaron Home Run Chase (and the massive media hype that goes along with it) might be just a wee bit of a distraction to a team that's trying to get back into the playoffs? And Bonds I don't see Bonds signing for less than $15 million.

That said, I don't really want Manram on the South Side, either. The Sox need starting pitching.

saw a few things about Bonds to the Cards, I guess that would make the most sense. He would have to hobble around LF for one more year, but those fans are incredibly supportive of the Cards players. It's like a baseball rejuvination machine out there. I could see them embracing him and the chase. (just for source purposes, si.com had something mentioned i believe)

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 10:06 AM)
saw a few things about Bonds to the Cards, I guess that would make the most sense. He would have to hobble around LF for one more year, but those fans are incredibly supportive of the Cards players. It's like a baseball rejuvination machine out there. I could see them embracing him and the chase. (just for source purposes, si.com had something mentioned i believe)

Cards fans are incredibly supportive of their players, but I'm not sure that they'd embrace Bonds. Especially after the suspicion about McGwire's steroid use. And I'm not sure that Prince Albert would enjoy playing second-fiddle to Barry's home-run chase.

Edited by WCSox

Manram doesn't have his own private room in the clubhouse, outfitted with a big-screen TV and a La-Z-Boy chair. How well do you think that would go over in a clubhouse where the team's captain declined to wear the letter "C" on his jersey because he doesn't want to come off as more important than his teammates? Manram also doesn't get into shoving matches with his teammates in the dugout.

Strangely you fail to mention the fact that no one has ever said a word about Bonds desire to play and to show up and work every day.

Where as many times "Manny being Manny" means that he has come down with mystery illness, etc, that prevent him from playing in meaningful games.

September 4, 2003 - Manny refuses to pinch hit in a game against Philadelphia, angering manager Grady Little, who benches him the next game.

July 27, 2005 - With Trot Nixon out with an injury to his leg, manager Terry Francona approaches Ramirez about playing on what was to be a scheduled day off; Ramírez refuses to play.

There are also stories of Manny using Mp3 players in the outfield, failing to run out routine grounders, etc, etc.

To me that would cause more clubhouse problems than the media being on Bonds ass. So far I have yet to see any complaints about Bonds the player.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 10:54 AM)
Where as many times "Manny being Manny" means that he has come down with mystery illness, etc, that prevent him from playing in meaningful games.

September 4, 2003 - Manny refuses to pinch hit in a game against Philadelphia, angering manager Grady Little, who benches him the next game.

July 27, 2005 - With Trot Nixon out with an injury to his leg, manager Terry Francona approaches Ramirez about playing on what was to be a scheduled day off; Ramírez refuses to play.

There are also stories of Manny using Mp3 players in the outfield, failing to run out routine grounders, etc, etc.

To me that would cause more clubhouse problems than the media being on Bonds ass. So far I have yet to see any complaints about Bonds the player.

Ask any Giants or Pirates fan about Barry half-assing his way to fly and ground balls in LF and they will definitely have stories to share.

And apparently you have forgotten that Jeff Kent's comments to SI about what a bad teammate Barry is and A.J.'s comments about everybody walking on eggshells in the Giants clubhouse because of Barry. What goes on in the clubhouse affects what goes on during the game.

I never said that Manny was an angel. Far from it. But at least he's still able to stay healthy and will play at a high level for a few more years. Bonds is a one-year rent-a-player whose poisonous attitude AND excessive media attention from his HR chase will sink clubhouse chemistry.

Strangely you fail to mention the fact that no one has ever said a word about Bonds desire to play and to show up and work every day.

Barry is barely capable of staying healthy and chasing down a fly ball at this point in his career. I'd rather have a weirdo like Manny who is still highly-productive and isn't a major injury-risk. That said, I don't really want him on the Sox anyway.

Edited by WCSox

Steve Phillips is a f***ing moron.

He said he heard rumors of a Red Sox/Barry Bonds connection last week and that was debunked with in about a half hour. The guy just spews whatever he feels like out of his mouth, he's a piece of s***.

Infact, I had his brother as my math teacher my junior year of high school, he apparently disowned his family, and his brother didn't have much good to say about him either.

Again, a snake, an attention grabber, and an all around cock sucker.

I'm not against Bonds playing for the White Sox, I don't know why so many would be, nonetheless, considering Phillips said it, there's a good chance no deal will be made.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 01:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

All speculation. I like Wikipedia, hell I love it, but that page is about 50% truthful.

I've been a Sox fan since 1970. But if the White Sox sign Barry Bonds, I will completely disown the club during the entirety of his time on the team. And it may be very difficult to revive my loyalty even after he is gone.

As bad as the Garcia trade was, this rumor flat out sucks.

We ride Frank Thomas out of town -- just about the only steroid-era slugger who never juiced -- and two seasons later bring in the #1 juicer, and liar, of them all??? To hell with baseball. I've been able to avoid BB b/c I could care less about the NL. If he ever puts on a Sox uni ... well may the curse of the black Sox be revived.

I hope this rumor never comes to pass.

The 2 instances I mentioned arent speculation. He did not play in either of those games and that is what his manager said at the time.

The mp3 player etc are, thats why I listed them as "stories".

Just as it is speculation what Bonds knew about using steroids.

Edited by Soxbadger