Adam Dunn cleared waivers

LittleHurt05

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Aug 13, 2013 -> 10:25 AM)
Its hilarious. He thinks a 33 year old Dunn with an .800+ OPS is worthless and should just retire, but a 37 year old Konerko with his .650 OPS is going to get a 2 year deal all because Konerko's batting agerage is 10 points higher. Talk about clueless.

A lot of the things I say on here come true. But only Dick Allen has pointed that out on occasion for me.

As far as Dunn and Rios. Yes they are my whipping boys for this pathetic baseball team. And yes, Paulie's dropoff has hurt the team just as much. I guess I give Paulie more wiggle room because he had 4-5 really good years in a row. Dunn pretty much was the worst player in the history of mankind for a long long time in Sox uniform. What's the lowest he got that one year, .145, .150?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 13, 2013 -> 02:21 PM)
A lot of the things I say on here come true. But only Dick Allen has pointed that out on occasion for me.

As far as Dunn and Rios. Yes they are my whipping boys for this pathetic baseball team. And yes, Paulie's dropoff has hurt the team just as much. I guess I give Paulie more wiggle room because he had 4-5 really good years in a row. Dunn pretty much was the worst player in the history of mankind for a long long time in Sox uniform. What's the lowest he got that one year, .145, .150?

At one point this year, Paul Konerko had a .000/.000/.000/.000 line, which is pretty much as bad as you can get.

Nobody is saying that Paulie doesn't deserve tons of credit for what he's done for the Sox nor that Dunn doesn't deserve to be bashed for how terrible he was, but this discussion is about the future and suggesting that Paulie will get a two-year offer for $6M a year or whatever and at the same time saying nobody would take Dunn at $14M is ludicrous. Nobody besides you is going to base their 2014 offers on how good or bad they made you feel back in 2011.

You seem to think that our players can simply will themselves to good numbers.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 13, 2013 -> 02:25 PM)
Nobody is saying that Paulie doesn't deserve tons of credit for what he's done for the Sox nor that Dunn doesn't deserve to be bashed for how terrible he was, but this discussion is about the future and suggesting that Paulie will get a two-year offer for $6M a year or whatever and at the same time saying nobody would take Dunn at $14M is ludicrous. Nobody besides you is going to base their 2014 offers on how good or bad they made you feel back in 2011.

While this is true in baseball, I would still do the random sloot I met in the hotel based on she made me feel back then too.

So Paulie gets credit for things he did 5 years ago but Dunn does not? I understand that Dunn wasn't with the Sox at his peak but it seems like you like to forget that Paulie had a couple pretty awful years as well. When all is said and done one of these players is going to be in the Hall of Fame and one is going to fall a little bit short (here's a hint, Konerko isn't getting in). If the idea of Dunn in the Hall of Fame seems ridiculous to anybody, here's the way I look at it. If Dunn plays until he is 39 years old he only needs to average 27 homers to end up with 600+ for his career. There is no way the HOF voters will keep somebody out that has 600+ homers along with 1600+ RBI if they are clean.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 13, 2013 -> 12:21 PM)

As I said before, even a broken clock is correct twice a day. You simply trash certain players all day, every day. Ultimately, this means you will be "right" when they fail. That doesn't mean your methodology or opinions for arriving at those conclusions have any merit.

And a lot you say (and the stuff you are more vocal about) has not even come close.

Marlins as champs because of Ozzie for example

And nice hyperbole about Dunn. Worst ever? Not even close.

It didn't help that when he was bad, the selfish manager constantly set him up to fail.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Aug 13, 2013 -> 03:38 PM)
So Paulie gets credit for things he did 5 years ago but Dunn does not? I understand that Dunn wasn't with the Sox at his peak but it seems like you like to forget that Paulie had a couple pretty awful years as well. When all is said and done one of these players is going to be in the Hall of Fame and one is going to fall a little bit short (here's a hint, Konerko isn't getting in). If the idea of Dunn in the Hall of Fame seems ridiculous to anybody, here's the way I look at it. If Dunn plays until he is 39 years old he only needs to average 27 homers to end up with 600+ for his career. There is no way the HOF voters will keep somebody out that has 600+ homers along with 1600+ RBI if they are clean.

Adam Dunn is going to the Hall of Fame? Yeah, I really don't see that happening.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Aug 13, 2013 -> 03:45 PM)
If he hits 600 homers he's in.

I could actually see people finding an excuse to keep him out. But yeah, the idea that he's going to continue hitting 27 HR's a year with how he's declined in his early 30's seems seriously ludicrous to me. Even ignoring '11, his OPS has declined from >.900 to ~.800 between 31 and 33. He's definitely on his way down.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 13, 2013 -> 12:49 PM)
I could actually see people finding an excuse to keep him out. But yeah, the idea that he's going to continue hitting 27 HR's a year with how he's declined in his early 30's seems seriously ludicrous to me. Even ignoring '11, his OPS has declined from >.900 to ~.800 between 31 and 33. He's definitely on his way down.

Ludicrous? I dunno if I would go that far.

I do wonder how much the proclivity of "the shift" has hurt his numbers in recent seasons...

I do wonder how much the proclivity of "the shift" has hurt his numbers in recent seasons...

I did some very thorough statistical analysis and determined that the shift has not had any impact on his home run totals.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 13, 2013 -> 02:49 PM)

His OPS has improved from age 31 to age 32 and from age 32 to age 33. While he is obviously not going to keep improving at his age, barring a 2011 type collapse I don't see any reason why he can't keep putting up .800+ OPSs for the next 5 years. He should be hitting his 500th early on in 2015 at the age of 35. You honestly don't think if he has 500 homers at age 35 he can hang on for 600? They put Killebrew and his .256 average in during a time when batting average was still the go to stat. Dunn will likely end up with more hits, runs, 2Bs, HRs, RBIs, and walks.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Aug 13, 2013 -> 03:58 PM)
His OPS has improved from age 31 to age 32 and from age 32 to age 33. While he is obviously not going to keep improving at his age, barring a 2011 type collapse I don't see any reason why he can't keep putting up .800+ OPSs for the next 5 years. He should be hitting his 500th early on in 2015 at the age of 35. You honestly don't think if he has 500 homers at age 35 he can hang on for 600? They put Killebrew and his .256 average in during a time when batting average was still the go to stat. Dunn will likely end up with more hits, runs, 2Bs, HRs, RBIs, and walks.

You're actually giving him credit for improving upon 2011? Good lord man.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 13, 2013 -> 02:53 PM)

I don't understand how "the shift" can be used as an excuse for decreased productivity. Isn't the name of the game to hit the ball where the defense isn't? When he steps in the batters box, the defense is already lined up in the shift. I don't buy that it's bad luck for him, it is up to him to adjust. They shift for David Ortiz and he seems to be doing fine.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 13, 2013 -> 01:00 PM)
Oh, well I'm sure the shift has affected his AVG (and thus his OBP and SLG), but at this point in his career, his HOF ticket is more or less his home run total.

Right, but his ability to be a everyday player in the future might be effected by the shift.