Everything posted by Chisoxfn
-
Sox prepared to trade Maggs
Well the best rotation in baseball has got to be the Cubs, especially if the Yanks lose Pettite, Rocket and then Boomer goes elsewhere or retires. The Sox still have Elo (If he pitches like last year...thats an ace...but no guarantees...of course at the same time there is no guarantee that Colon wins 20 which we all assumed entering this year and people have assumed that many times. Show me a staff 5 strong with options in case of injuries (Ie..Wright, Scho, Cotts, Rauch) and then I'll be impressed with the chances of making the playoffs cause once your there anything CAN happen. A rotation of Elo Buerhle Perez (Whose pretty good, imo) Garland Insert 5th (Sign or Trade) but I want a quality pitcher, not an ace Thats a team with a few potential aces (I'd list the 4 guys all capable of throwing a dominant start or two..who knows if it will happen but they all got the stuff and they will keep ya in games). Mix that with a strong strong pen and your definately in position to go somewhere. Have a great defense and now your really talking...have great baserunners and some guys that can make things happen with the bat (hit and run...go with the ball...basically good situational hitters) and your gonna have a team ready to compete for it all, imo. An ace would be nice but not many teams have the luxury of having a few aces. Heck, the Sox had 3 aces last year and where did it get them?
-
If we trade Maggs
As far as the payroll from my above example. About 34 million in the offense...depending...kind of a high estimate. This is definately worrisome, BUT, move Jose which wouldn't be too bad and figure a way to get Itzuris and you save 4 mill and I think once you renegotiate with Magglio, you'll save about 4 mill so eventually you'd get it down to about 26 mill. Pitching Wise Perez - 4.5 Elo - 4.5 Buehrle - 4 Garland - 2 Other Starter - 2 (Should be plenty to get a solid guy; if you deal Lee u could get a quality young pitcher that is still signed for cheap too) 17 mill. So thats now 51 mill before moving Jose and renegotiating with Magglio. But it figures Buehrle signing an extension and Garland signing one. U could be a little cheaper if you just go through arbitration. So now budgeted isn't much for the pen, but u have Marte, Wunsch, Scho and Wright for about 4 mill meaning you have 3 to add two guys. Do some interesting maneuvering and you could get in around 58 mill and then if ya clear the 8 mill you'd be in around 52 mill to 54 with all your relievers and figure a little extra in salary you have to take and that gives ya about an extra 4-5 mill to pick up in trades. I call it viable. If Cameron won't come for that price, then look to insert Jose cruz Jr in left field for cheap and play Reed in center (Cruz could be had for 2.5 mil or so saving you a little more). This is a way to keep Maggs and Thomas together and have most of hte team signed for the next few years so you don't really have to worry near as much the next few seasons about going over budget.
-
If we can't afford a $70 M payroll then...
Gagne has been rumored to be on the block because of his demands...likely 10 mill a year. Don't think they will trade him this year, but possibly next year.
-
Sox prepared to trade Maggs
On the plus side, KW wasn't the GM at that time. It was wrong how he was treated, but kind words and the ability to play in a big market and get on a ton of highlight shows could be reason enough for him to come back. Especially because I believe the Sox have a manager he'd like to play for. I think a lot of fun to watch players will like to come to the Sox. Of course you have to get JR and KW to be smart with the money they have and try to get JR to pony up a bit more, but the Sox could dfeinately position themselves to have an OF of Reed, Cameron, Maggs next year and afford to have good pitching too. And do it at like 53 mill. I swear I could at least throw so many ideas to KW and just let him and his people here them out so at least they see where soem of us are coming from. My wish list include Perez...another starter along with Perez...two quality relievers....Mike Cameron. Thats it.
-
Royce Ring
I thought he was last year...but I don't have the sheet on me.
-
If we trade Maggs
I'd like to see the Sox move Konerko, Koch and even Lee to clear payroll to keep Magglio and give him a new contract at 9-10 mill a year. Hold out for him to figure it out right now and just put the team in position where they can pay Maggs a little over market value for the season. When he sees what Vladdy and Sheffield get he'll quickly realize he better take a fair offer cause the economy is only going to continue to correct itself for the next few years (By economy I mean baseball economy and deflating towards what players should be making). By moving Konerko...the toughest of the tasks then you open up a place to bring someone like Robin for a year to play with a righty and kind of platoon at first with Thomas DH'ing and can have Maggs in the cleanup spot and your platoon in the 5 hole with Crede in the 2 hole. Lee brings you starting pitching and then I'd like to see the Sox who would need two out fielders, go after Cameron for like a 3 yr 10-12 mill deal to play center and plan on Reed/Rowand in left. If you need to use Borchard to get rid of Konerko for Perez you do it. Then dangle Lee for a legit leadoff hitter or another starter and then the Sox don't even have to look at free agency other then to add a vet or two to the bench as well as a vet or two to the pen. Think of this Trade for a leadoff hitter (using Lee) - 2nd Baseman (could just sign Alomar/Vina and trade Lee for another starter) Jeremy Reed Frank Thomas Magglio Ventura/Righty FA (maybe a Reggie Sanders or Rondell White; whoever is hanging around) Mike Cameron Jose Valentin Joe Crede Miguel Olivo Thats got some speed throughout the lineup. Only Thomas and Crede are slow and everyone else can flat go. You would have some k's, but most of the guys that whiff are also patient. Ventura, Thomas, Cameron is improving at that. Your leadoff guy, Reed, Magglio likely won't k (well Reed won't once ready, imo..so I probably shouldn't project that). Defensively damn..that outfield could flat get to the ball and in the infield we all know Robin can pick it at first and everything else would be solid. Find a way to move Jose and get Itzuris and your still in good shape but free up 5 more mill.
-
Sox prepared to trade Maggs
Going on that theory you could easily say the Marlins didn't have the pitching to make it to the series. But Brando I do agree Cameron would be such a sweet pickup to play center. He'd probably be had for an affordable amount...and would definately be better then someone like Cedeno, then just find a way to take some other problem off the Mets and you'd be in good shape, imo. I want a guy that can go get em and your right, moving from Safeco will definately increase his production.
-
Just come out and say it like a man
I'm guessing him and his agent, but he's a nut if he thinks he will get that when Vlad won't even get that kind of money. I heard Gammons say that even if Matsui comes to the majors he won't get 7 mill..it will be likely around what the Sox paid Jose.
-
Web Site of the Week
Does it promise to remove all skid marks ...if so they may have found a market for the people that suck at doing laundry and are single.
-
ESPN Insider
I thought that, but then this is picking up an option so that becomes a little more likely of a possibility. Its not like Sox negotiating with someone out of house and then trading them. In this case they are picking him up at a price they feel will be marketable to other teams, without negotiating. I heard Gammons say he'd be incredibly shocked if matsui even got 7 mill, and now he's not even planning on entering which means teams have an option at Tejada or no one, which will definately shoot the value up for someone like Jose who has home run power.
-
Sox prepared to trade Maggs
If it were up to me I'd do this. Konerko and Magglio for Johnson/Soriano/Weaver Carlos Lee and Jose Valentin for Odalis Perez and Cesar Itzuris Koch for Cedeno Sox sign Sully and one other guy like hawkins or whomever...and have a pen of Marte/Sully/Hawkins or Gordon or Foulke/Scho/Wright/Wunsch Rotation Buehrle Loaiza Perez Garland Weaver Lineup Alomar Jr or Vina - 2nd Cedeno - LF Soriano - CF Thomas - DH Nick Johnson - 1st (Could also move him to the 2 hole and move Cedeno down) Crede - 3rd Rowand/Reed/FA - rf Itzuris - ss Olivo While offensively it may not be beautiful, it would have some guys who can run at the top of the order and bottom of the order. It would have solid mixture of lefties nad righties as well as young and old. Cedeno, the 2nd baseman and Thomas would be vets and then Ventura could even be your FA type guy that you bring in. IT wouldn't be a juggernaut, but defensively Cedeno isn't really a liability in left and I believe Soriano can be good in center and in right we'd be solid. It would cost about (2+5+2+6+2+1 = 18 mill give or take a bit). Your rotation would cost ya (4+4.5+4+2+6.5 = 21) giving you 39 total before you bullpen which wouldn't be too bad. You'd say Sully/Hawkins or whomever for 6 and then keeping who you had which would be like 4 mill, giving you 10 mill and that puts you at 49 mill. Thats well under the proposed salary of the Sox and I think if the Sox take Weaver they'd get Nick Johnson and then the Yanks could work together a 3 way deal to land them someone like Sexson for Konerko if they are interested). This is just using some teams that are rumored. There are so many ways I think you can do things with the Sox being sucessful. This also leaves the Sox money to take on a contract or two at the deadline, instead of giving up prospects.
-
ESPN Insider
From what I've heard, the Angels may not be that high on DaVannon. Anderson and Salmon are kind of stuck and then you have Erstad who is gonna be really tough to move. While Erstad could move to first opening up an outfield slot, their is also talk that Palmerio or a vet like that will wind up at first and also more talk that Spiezo will be back. Moreno seems to want to get a big name outfielder and shortstop and if he moves one of his contracts he has the ability to get both.
-
ESPN Insider
If you move Koch for Cedeno, albeit it not my favorite the Sox do improve in the area of speed and when healthy Cedeno is an asset. THe question is how much can you count on him. The nice part is, Reed can fill in for him and so can Rowand but early in the season you can stick him near the top of the order and let him make some things happen. I don't want to deal LEe, but at the same time I'd love getting Perez. I don't think the Dodgers would give up any of their worth while prospects so I'd like to see the Sox work something out to give them Konerko and someone else....MAYBE JOSE. Don't be shocked if Jose gets moved. I get the sneaking suspicion that he's gonna be somewhere else come January 1st. Matsui isn't gonna be on the market or at least not likely and lets just say a shortstop with Jose's power could have a lot of spark and someone like the Dodgers shortstop could fit in nice to Ozzie's style. Not saying he's as good as Jose now, but defensively Itzuris is a wiz and he will become a pretty solid offensive player and he already is against lefties. The fact is you get Perez and a stud shortstop defensively and if your building around pitching your gonna want that, although Jose also had great range. Itsuris is good though, I see him make a lot of great plays when watching the Dodger games on tv. Some type of Konerko/Jose/Prospect for Perez and Itzuris not bad...imo...not sure if Evans does it, make it Lee/Jose for Perez/Itzuris and a prospect and I think it be interesting. Either way I see a few possibilities in LA and of course Maggs is an option there too.
-
Sox prepared to trade Maggs
By overhyped Cameron I mean Erstad is an overhyped version of Mike Cameron. by that I mean a guy that is a solid cluth hitter and plays flat out amazing defense. Both have offensive flashes and I'd say Erstad is tougher to pitch to cause Cameron can get himself out easier then Erstad. I'd like Cameron in centerfield...at the right price.
-
Sox prepared to trade Maggs
I am going to assume a few things. Thing one is that the Sox deal Koch for Roger Cedeno and that the Sox get money in return and a lesser prospect or bench type guy. I'm also going to assume that the Sox deal Paul Konerko or Carlos Lee for Odalis Perez. I think thats a very realistic scenario cause the Dodgers are going to move him for a bat and a right handed one at that. Lee would be a lot to give up and when you look at his numbers, I wouldn't find it hard pressed that the Sox would get a top top prospect in return or one of the Dodgers quality relievers. With that in mind, it means the Sox would have a need for offense since Konerko or Lee and Thomas are what your looking at as the "heart of the order". With that being said getting Percival would be amazing for the pitching staff and pen. He is one of the few guys I consider an "elite" closer. But if your dealing Magglio, you have to expect more in return then just that. You mention Saunders and I agree with you he's a good prospect to start with, but I also think the Sox could use one major league ready hitter of some sort, doesn't need to be a stud but something along those lines. If they are also gonna make a push at a ss (The Angels) then maybe Eckstein comes this way along with Percy and a prospect. Then the Angels have Eck and Jose up the middle with Willie definately getting playing time. Offensively it will be ugly, but the Sox will now have the money to bring back one of Sully/Gordon and then add one more and then sign another FA pitcher as well as a few FA hitters. The main theory is that a rotation of: Buehrle Elo Perez Garland Pavano..whomever else Can compete and while you lack the ace power at first, I think you could very easily find 3 of those guys to develop into front line pitchers during the season so in the post-season your in solid shape. They all are innings eaters and will definately keep ya in the mix. Then when those guys give their innings, you hand the pen over to Percy, Marte, Sully/Gordon (R-L-R ALL WITH DIFFERENT STYLES) and then Wunsch, Scho, Wright, VEt well thats pretty damn good, imo. I think this scenario would be a heck of a lot better if you know you got Thomas and Lee cause if you can bring in one lefty hitter then you wouldn't be in horrible shape (Everett would fit in fin in the outfield and then you mix in the youngsters for Cedeno/Everett). You now have a lineup of Roger Cedeno - CF/RF David Eckstein - 2nd Frank Thomas - DH Carl Everett - RF/CF Carlos Lee - LF Brad Fullmer/Brian Daubach/Scott Spiezo/Nick Johnson - 1st Joe Crede - 3rd Jose Valentin Miguel Olivo Defensively it scares the hell out of me, at least in the outfield and in the infield your solid and you know what you got behind the plate. But this team would have some pretty darn good pitching and you could definately fiddle things around. I'm not saying its the scenario I would chose, but if the Sox only takers for Maggs are the Angels then I find this scenario a possibility. I Think the big question is gonna be where Maggs goes as opposed to where Konerko or Lee or Koch go. And I will state again if the Sox can get Soriano for Maggs straight up without paying any salary then freaking do it. I don't find it likely though.
-
ESPN Insider
My first goal would be to try and get Krod and Percy but i doubt thats gonna happen. So I'd try for Kennedy if the Sox want an upgrade at 2nd or go with Davannon and a pitching prospect. I should add that I still prefer Soriano for Maggs. If the Sox are gonna take on money in the deal (Which is what they'd do in the angels by taking Percy's contract) then they could just as well take Soriano who won't make too much and then give someone like Foulke or Hawkins and someone else closer money. This way u get two studs for one instead of one for one.
-
Ronald Murray
Murray is doing damn good right now...I'd think about doing it.
-
Sox have offered Dodgers Lee or Konerko
I'd do it. I don't know if everyone would, but If it kept Lee around, then I'd happily oblige, plus I think Thurston could still make it, although he's no sure thing, but neither is Borchard. If Sox deal Borchard, then they shouldn't pick up a dime of Konerko's contract.
-
ESPN Insider
Probably because the Sox are asking for something else if they give up Lee or that the Dodgers countered with Lee..that would be my guess. It could also be the Sox are willing to sweeten the pot with cash considerations or another player if they take Konerko, who knows.
-
Sox have offered Dodgers Lee or Konerko
I know...my dad was all pissed seeing that Konerko could be a Dodger (His favorite team) and he said there is no way it will happen. And then I said, you got Evans...anything is possible Evans is most likely ousted once the ownership gets settled, but with things in such fluxuation Fox is likely gonna have to just give him control to make a few moves while keeping the team in a solid position to still sell. A Lame Duck ownership won't fly in LA and could have a very negative effect on their attendance. If Lee goes, then I think the Sox must get something else of value in return, but if its Konerko then pay some of his contract, give them Ginter or whatever....cause damn would it be a sweet deal
-
Playoffs
Maggs/Konerko or Lee/Koch need to be moved first, imo.
-
Sox have offered Dodgers Lee or Konerko
Somewhere Konerko or Lee have to appear in there. I'd take on Weaver if it was a must, but I don't see it as a must, imo.
-
Sox have offered Dodgers Lee or Konerko
I thought I saw Pavano was a free agent. He's been around so long (From his days with the Expos) that I just can't see how he wouldn't be a flat out free agent. Maybe I'm wrong, but I swear he was a free agent although the Marlins at one point were rumored to be close to a deal with him but I think that fell apart.
-
Sox have offered Dodgers Lee or Konerko
I agree...cause Pavano would be a better optoin at a more affordable price. I'd rather just see the Sox save like 12 mill by getting Soriano who will be around for quite a bit longer. And of course if they find a way to get Johnson too, more power to it.
-
Sox have offered Dodgers Lee or Konerko
This type of stuff definately cheers me up...just seeing that the Sox are out there making moves. I firmly believe Perez is gonna be a pretty good pitcher in the majors for a long time. If baggs was around, I know he'd be for the trade. We know how much he loved perez and how much he couldn't stand Lee, lol. Still these type of moves give the Sox some type of flexibility and can put the team in position to sign their guys long term and stop havign to play this games and letting the team go out and compete and win the division and hopefully more for a few years. My preferential deal would definately be getting Soriano, but even with Percy I'd be pretty happy depending on what came with it. I see a lot of options for the Sox suceeding next year, now we just have to sit back and watch and see what happens.