Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Soxtalk.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Chisoxfn

Admin

Everything posted by Chisoxfn

  1. I'd tell JR, spread it out to two and the chances of it blowing up in your face are a whole lot less. One may suck or get hurt but the odds of both doing it are a lot less. I know Its a pipedream, but if the Sox move Maggs/Konerko and lose out on the Colon sweepstakes then set aside 15 mill on those two guys and get em in here. After that sure up the pen with a signing and then look to cheaper area and get yourself a ss and a vet or two to fill in the bench. If you have 15 mill invested in those two, an extension for garland at say 2.5 mill for a few seasons and Buehrle at 5 mill or so and Loaiza at 4.5 then you have 27 mill invested in your starting rotation. Sure its a lot, but thats what wins games. Consider the fact that you had 22 mill between Konerko/Maggs this year and I'd say the staff is definately the better investment.
  2. The key should be freeing up money so the Sox can have a KILLA pitching staff.
  3. So then you have Reed/Boarchard/Rowand playing Cf and RF? I dont like it. Thats the only prob. with the plan. Robbie actually is pretty important in that mix. No, Soriano would play center. And then one of Reed/Borchard/Rowand would play right. Not sure if thats a great option or not. Then if Thomas goes, you could move Lee to DH and then sign one solid outfielder and then let him play with the others sharing sometime and it wouldn't be terrible. Most likely I'd have Rowand stick around and sign someone with Borchard getting the shot if he had a killer spring. Reed is the future RF/CF imo, but time in Charotte wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. Then again Charlotte seems to be the dying zone for sox prospects so maybe we should have him bypass Charlotte. I meant who will play 2B if Robbie wasnt signed. Thats why I said he is kinda imporatant if we signed Soriano. Big bucks shouldn't be spent in that area. I'd spend some money at ss or 2nd and then leave the rest to a cheaper signing so I'd just look for Soriano to play there and find a RF and then let the inhouse guys play center.
  4. And that takes pressure off the Sox in terms of spending big bucks on the pen. As long as Scho is happy, who knows if he would be. Then your pen looks like this: Marte Koch Wright Scho Wunsch Gordon/Sully/Hawkins/FA Munoz/Sanders/Whoever If the pen struggles then the Sox go out and look for something, but I think they should have one spot open for Munoz/Sanders/Rauch or whoever else. I like Wright and Scho in the pen and I think we all love Marte. The key is getting one more stud in there and Hawkins would be my top choice. I know one thing, trading Maggs opens up a lot of options for the Sox and if they can unload Konerko with him, then all of a sudden that rotation has a possibility and thats a rotation that can carry a team and should be able to withstand injuries, especially when you have the likes of Cotts/Rauch/Wright/Show capable of stepping in. If somehow Thomas goes, then the Sox really have things. I think it all starts with the possibility of Nick Johnson and Alfonso Soriano coming here. Those two would be able to come dirt cheap allowing the Sox to spend money in other areas and both of them are gonna be stars. Soriano already is and I like Johnson a whole lot.
  5. So then you have Reed/Boarchard/Rowand playing Cf and RF? I dont like it. Thats the only prob. with the plan. Robbie actually is pretty important in that mix. No, Soriano would play center. And then one of Reed/Borchard/Rowand would play right. Not sure if thats a great option or not. Then if Thomas goes, you could move Lee to DH and then sign one solid outfielder and then let him play with the others sharing sometime and it wouldn't be terrible. Most likely I'd have Rowand stick around and sign someone with Borchard getting the shot if he had a killer spring. Reed is the future RF/CF imo, but time in Charotte wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. Then again Charlotte seems to be the dying zone for sox prospects so maybe we should have him bypass Charlotte.
  6. Depends on the price. Colon at 14 mill or Ponson at 7...well I'd take Ponson. And if you tell me Ponson and Pettite at a total of 15 mill, then I'd definately go with option B.
  7. Jas, I'm a bit confused...Cabrerra? SUrely you don't mean Floridas Miguel Cabrerra?? Theres NO WAY they let that young man get away, maybe 3 months ago, but not now. Second and short are our concerns in terms of position players.....and after having some time to think about it, I'm not sure if Robbie is our answer. His hitting has just went down south in a hurry. Yeah he can still field better than most second basemen, but with him hitting #1 or 2 in the batting order, thats gonna be tough. Especially if we put CLee in the 3 hole, as I think he should be. The big thing with that lineup that I wouldn't be happy with is sticking with Roberto, but he does do the little things very well and could be a huge asset for Soriano. As far as Cabrerra, I'm referring to Orlando Cabrerra of the Expos who could probably be at around 4 mill a year. He's a very good player that I think could do some good things for the Sox. In the first 3 slots of that lineup, I'd pencil in about 70 stolen bases plus or minus 10. To me that would be really sweet. Of course you would have some strikeouts in that area. If the Sox could get a real leadoff hitter or go get someone like Eckstein and sign Castillo instead (Whose value seems to be dropping, then I wouldn't midn that either; although I think Castillo is a Yank if this deal goes down). Eckstein Castillo Soriano I'd be more then happy with that top of the order. IT would be a different up the middle combo and one that would be rather affordable. That assumes the Angels sign Tejada. If Thomas goes, then the Sox are even more in the clear.
  8. Thats a good lineup. Only thing is I'd flop Soriano into the 2 hole and move Reed down. Reed isn't proven so I think you'd be better with him in the 7 or 8 hole.
  9. For some reason I thought the Yanks had a buyout of some sort. I read a few places that the Boss wants him out and that their is a good shot he will retire.
  10. Ponson is a very similar pitcher to Bartolo Colon and would be a great pickup at 7 mill, but I wouldn't give anything more.
  11. I'm telling you guys; Soriano and Johnson for Maggs and Konerko is a very realistic option. If the Yanks want to dump salary on us, then the Sox take on Weaver or what not, but they still save a ton giving them the money to sign two starters (If you lose Colon, go for Ponson/Pettite or something like that). Don't be shocked if the Sox then move Soriano to CF with Reed/Borchard slated for RF. Then Alomar resigns for a little bit and hits in the leadoff slot with Cabrerra behind him. Then you stick in Soriano in the 3 hole with Frank hitting 4 and Carlos in the 5 hole. Plug Johnson in the 6 hole, Crede in 7, your RF in 8, and Olivo in the 9 hole and your in pretty good shape. If the Sox don't want to resign Roberto, then they can decide whether to move Soriano to CF or play him at 2nd. Payroll wise, if they don't have to take on any Yanks payroll. THey save 22 mill. Colon gets 13 mill or so, giving you 9 mill left. I'd think that 9 mill could easily go into your replacement outfielder/Cabrerra and the rest into the bullpen. If they don't get Colon, pencil in about 7-8 mill for the starting pitcher and you have a bit more to spend elsewhere. I'd say some type of mixture with this would be the Sox best plan.
  12. Wells won't be around next year.
  13. This is now a different conversation. I don't recall if anyone had previously suggested that Magglio restructure his contract. It was just a "trade Magglio for pitching" discussion. If Ordonez is asked to, and refuses, then the discussion is entirely different. The restructuring option is a lot better of an idea than just saying "get rid of him for pitching". My philosphy all along has been if maggs is willing to restructure/resign then he stays, otherwise I'd ship him out. I have felt for a while at 10 mill a year deal will be more then fair for him.
  14. Once I reach heads or Mark, I can make the necessary changes. I can't figure out what I did, but I booted my access to that area and need them to set me back up
  15. Sweeney definately rates up there with me. Only thing is, its so hard to judge a guy when he has so long to reach the majors, but the upside is definately great. Kark, do you think the Sox are making the right call using him as a hitter compared to a pitcher?
  16. I see what he did in Boston and wonder what he did in the clubhouse. The Red Sox had a great clubhouse atmosphere and other then that one game, I think he did a pretty good job their. The players seemed to be happy. The question is whether thats just cause they liked eachother or if Little had something to do with it. I wonder who the BoSox will hire. Could it be Torre if he gets let go.
  17. I definately think he will become the favorite in the Sox managerial sweepstakes.
  18. Is it when they enroll you can't sign them or isn't there like a March deadline or something. I remember something about the Cubs when there were talks about them not signing Brownlie and I swore they didn't sign him till the next baseball season. Then again, it may of been the start of his first semester or something like that.
  19. Chisoxfn replied to sox4lifeinPA's topic in SLaM
    Don't worry pa, when 2k3 and I steal your idea, we'll just delete the post so you have no evidence of telling us it was copyrighted
  20. I think the Sox had a pretty good draft. They took some chances on guys like Veal/Moviel/Brooks. I don't know why people don't mention Richard Brooks, but I really liked his arm. I still hope somehow the Sox step up and sign one of Moviel/Veal but its pretty unlikely. As far as the best picks, I think Anderson showed reasons why the Sox liked him. He has insane power and is a great all around player. But after watching Joe Borchard, I'll play the waiting game with most of these youngsters. I've pretty much learned to wait till AA before you annoit someone ready or an immediate impact type guy. This draft was huge for the Sox because it brought so much position depth, namely in the outfield where the Sox are set. They also got a ss prospect and we know the Sox have been waiting for someone to step up there for a long time. The best pitching prospect in the draft was Russ in my opinion. Stuff wise he is filthy, but the Sox have some things to do before he's even near ready. I also like the lefty they took out of Illionois (For some reason I can't think of his name; but he was also a football player; Highschool player). I'm excited about the Sox future and I'm really excited about the major league team. The farm system could definately use some work, although I still believe there is plenty of talent here, although its definately time to start restocking the cupboards.
  21. Chisoxfn replied to sox4lifeinPA's topic in SLaM
    Geeze...is someone coming up with a business idea. In all seriousness, at the right price I'd be interested. If its good music and you could make cd's and stuff and listen to cool stuff, I'd say it be pretty kick butt. As far as me, I like finding up and coming bands cause you can see their shows cheap and listen to their music cheap too. If I were in a band, I'd try to find my own venues and cut out the middleman.
  22. Welcome back. The HotChick thread wasn't as good without ya
  23. 9.98 at Target
  24. This thing is over with. Don't be shocked if he's gone by the start of the season. And if somehow the Bulls got him for Chandler/Rose, I'd be ready to say I think the Bulls could win it all this year

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.