Jose Valentin not happy with the Sox

aboz56

This is from yesterday, but I don't recall seeing it on the board, but maybe I overlooked it.

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/ds.../pro/291sd7.htm

"I'm not too happy with (the Sox) right now," Valentin said from his home in Puerto Rico on Tuesday. "They told us some things and now can't even return calls. I don't know what's going on. I don't know if I'm coming back or not. They probably want to see what's up with (free-agent pitcher Bartolo) Colon, but I heard they took the offer for him off the table on Monday night and won't make another one.

"I know they're trying to get something done with (pitcher Mark) Buehrle and (outfielder) Carlos Lee (both of whom are arbitration eligible). But I'm not going to wait. I'm going to grab an opportunity. I'm not going to wait too long and lose an opportunity with someone that wants me.

"I need to know," Valentin said. "They either want me or they don't."

"When we were talking, we weren't too far away (from a deal)," he said. "I agreed to take less money, but now I don't know what's going to happen. What if I would take a little less money now, but he doesn't get other players back and I'm stuck with a rebuilding team, on top of signing for less money?

"And I'm not just talking about Bartolo. We can still go far without Bartolo. We might be able to get two decent pitchers with the money they were going to give Bartolo, and our offense can score runs."

"They either want me or they don't."

We Don't

I am more interested in the talks with Buehrle and Lee right now than any FA signings. Obviously Mark will go to arbitration because everyone knows he doesn't want to be here long term, but CLee is what intrigues me. I really think if the Sox can lock him up that may be the final piece to "the Sox without Maggs".

LOCK UP C LEE

I'm with JD..tell me more about Buehrle and Carlos' deal cause I could care less about Jose.

Gimme Cabrerra at about 4 mill. I think the market is gonna be soft and Matsui and Tejada will suck up the shortstop money and the Sox will go for someone like Cabrerra or AUrilla and Cabrerra is the better of the two, imo, but I wouldn't mind either one.

"They either want me or they don't."

We Don't

I am more interested in the talks with Buehrle and Lee right now than any FA signings. Obviously Mark will go to arbitration because everyone knows he doesn't want to be here long term, but CLee is what intrigues me.  I really think if the Sox can lock him up that may be the final piece to "the Sox without Maggs".

LOCK UP C LEE

I'm with ya, that 5 million can be invested in an area that will actually improve our chances of winning. As for Jose, adios.

CWSOX45

Say what you all will about Jose, but does anybody find it a little bit un-nerving that things were said to White Sox player personnel after the season ended about signing and acquisitions and now a player is saying that they haven't heard a peep out of the Organization since that time?

And it's not like there is a plethora of SS's available this offseason through signings. As for Kaz Matsui, Tejada, and the like, don't even consider them. Too rich for a businessman like JR. So who are we gonna go with if not Jose? Eckstein? :lol:

Say what you all will about Jose, but does anybody find it a little bit un-nerving that things were said to White Sox player personnel after the season ended about signing and acquisitions and now a player is saying that they haven't heard a peep out of the Organization since that time?

And it's not like there is a plethora of SS's available this offseason through signings. As for Kaz Matsui, Tejada, and the like, don't even consider them. Too rich for a businessman like JR. So who are we gonna go with if not Jose? Eckstein?  :lol:

Killa, this years free agent crop at shortstop is incredibly deep. Edgar Renteria, Cabrerra, Aurilla, Guzman, Eckstein, Jose, Tejada, Matsui.

Thats a ton out there. As far as Jose goes, they must of talked to him about a day ago cause he knew about the whole Colon situation and the offer getting pulled and that didn't happen till a day ago.

While I think we both agree they won't spend huge bucks at the position, I think that if they are willing to spend 4.5 on Jose then they better be willing to spend something like that on someone like Cabrerra that would be a serious upgrade.

What I want to know is why the heck is Jose alwasy going to the media and talking that crap. I think he says almost as many stupid comments as Frank does, but somehow people refuse to bash him for it. I have nothing against jose, but I wish this team in general would shut up when it comes to talking with the media. If they are going to talk about something, talk about themselves and what they are doing in the offseason or talk about the managerial position if you want to, but don't talk about your contract (let your agent do that if he wants to).

Keep problems in house cause if you let the media get them, its just gonna blow them way out of proportion and cause more grief towards all. ONce you leave the organization say what you want, but I still say the best thing any player can do is keep their ill will to themselves because if they say something stupid, they could market themselves out of a potential signing one time or another later in their career. While one team may not mean something, when your older and maybe only have one or two teams interested in ya, it means a whole lot.

If he takes a paycut that is payroll-friendly, then yes, I would take him back. But he's not worth $5 million - not as a .230 hitter with declining skills.

We're already paying $8 million to one .230-hitting oaf (GIDPaul Slownerko), I don't want to spend $5 million on another one of those kind of players.

And it's not like there is a plethora of SS's available this offseason through signings. As for Kaz Matsui, Tejada, and the like, don't even consider them. Too rich for a businessman like JR. So who are we gonna go with if not Jose? Eckstein?  :lol:

Killa, this years free agent crop at shortstop is incredibly deep. Edgar Renteria, Cabrerra, Aurilla, Guzman, Eckstein, Jose, Tejada, Matsui.

Thats a ton out there. As far as Jose goes, they must of talked to him about a day ago cause he knew about the whole Colon situation and the offer getting pulled and that didn't happen till a day ago.

While I think we both agree they won't spend huge bucks at the position, I think that if they are willing to spend 4.5 on Jose then they better be willing to spend something like that on someone like Cabrerra that would be a serious upgrade.

What I want to know is why the heck is Jose alwasy going to the media and talking that crap. I think he says almost as many stupid comments as Frank does, but somehow people refuse to bash him for it. I have nothing against jose, but I wish this team in general would shut up when it comes to talking with the media. If they are going to talk about something, talk about themselves and what they are doing in the offseason or talk about the managerial position if you want to, but don't talk about your contract (let your agent do that if he wants to).

Keep problems in house cause if you let the media get them, its just gonna blow them way out of proportion and cause more grief towards all. ONce you leave the organization say what you want, but I still say the best thing any player can do is keep their ill will to themselves because if they say something stupid, they could market themselves out of a potential signing one time or another later in their career. While one team may not mean something, when your older and maybe only have one or two teams interested in ya, it means a whole lot.

Jose's a grinder, so he may be back. Or look for KW to take the Cubs' Alex Gonzales after they get a real shortstop.